From: Ben Myers on
IIRC, the 9150 BIOS has two options for running SATA drives. One is true SATA
mode and the other is sort of a backward compatible PATA mode. I forget
exactly what they are called, but the Dell recovery CD should work A-OK with one
or the other. What Christopher is saying makes sense. Malware could sure get
in the way and make life miserable... Ben Myers

From: Dave Smith on
wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:52:28 -0700, Dave Smith <Sallydog(a)cox.net>
>wrote:
>
>>I'm trying to reformat a friend's Dell Dimension 9150. It was used by
>>his son and is just a mass of viruses and adware so he just wants to
>>start over. I have the factory recovery CD and when I boot from it,
>>it goes through all the usual "Setup is loading files" steps until
>>just after the "Setup is starting Windows" message. Then it goes to a
>>BSOD. The Technical Info is:
>>
>>Stop 0x0000007E
>>
>>PCI.SYS - Address F853E0BF Base at F8537000
>>
>>I've googled these and not gotten anything that seems relevant to this
>>situation. The machine will boot and run OK, the OS is just really
>>messed up and gives a lot of popups.
>>
>>I have:
>>
>>Tried the factory CD in both CD drives.
>>
>>Tried a commercial XP Pro CD.
>>
>>Updated the BIOS. Actually, the BIOS version I got from Dell was the
>>same as the one on the machine, but I flashed it anyway.
>>
>>Checked to make sure the Dell CD is the right one for the machine.
>>
>>I don't know where else to go with this. I'd sure appreciate any
>>suggestions someone might have.
>>
>>Thanks very much.
>
>Thanks very much for all who have replied so far.
>
>An update:
>
>I tried removing each of the RAM sticks...no help.
>
>Tried installing the RAM in different slots...no help.
>
>Don't have another compatable vid card so I can't try anything there.
>
>Tried AGAIN reformatting with a commercial (non-Dell) XP Pro disc.
>Didn't get a BSOD, but the machine locked up at the same point as with
>the Dell CD.
>
>Tried connecting the HDD to the MB with a different SATA cable, to
>different ports...no help.
>
>This is a stock machine and I'm sure the Dell installation disc is the
>correct one.
>
>I'm going to try running DBAN and when that's done I'll try the
>CTRL+F11 maneuver. I'll post back.
>
>Thanks again.

Well, I wiped the HDD clean with DBAN and the situation is unchanged
so I guess that means the malware wasn't the culprit and it HAS to be
a hardware problem, or maybe BIOS? I'd sure welcome any other ideas.
Thanks again to all who have offered suggestions.

Dave
From: Juan Kerr on
On Apr 19, 6:07 am, Dave Smith <Sally...(a)cox.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:53:39 -0700, Dave Smith <Sally...(a)cox.net>
> wrote:
>

> >On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:52:28 -0700, Dave Smith <Sally...(a)cox.net>
> >wrote:
>
> >>I'm trying to reformat a friend's Dell Dimension 9150.  It was used by
> >>his son and is just a mass of viruses and adware so he just wants to
> >>start over.  I have the factory recovery CD and when I boot from it,
> >>it goes through all the usual "Setup is loading files" steps until
> >>just after the "Setup is starting Windows" message.  Then it goes to a
> >>BSOD.  The Technical Info is:
>
> >>Stop 0x0000007E
>
> >>PCI.SYS - Address F853E0BF Base at F8537000
>
> >>I've googled these and not gotten anything that seems relevant to this
> >>situation.  The machine will boot and run OK, the OS is just really
> >>messed up and gives a lot of popups.
>
> >>I have:
>
> >>Tried the factory CD in both CD drives.
>
> >>Tried a commercial XP Pro CD.
>
> >>Updated the BIOS.  Actually, the BIOS version I got from Dell was the
> >>same as the one on the machine, but I flashed it anyway.
>
> >>Checked to make sure the Dell CD is the right one for the machine.
>
> >>I don't know where else to go with this.  I'd sure appreciate any
> >>suggestions someone might have.
>
> >>Thanks very much.
>
> >Thanks very much for all who have replied so far.
>
> >An update:
>
> >I tried removing each of the RAM sticks...no help.
>
> >Tried installing the RAM in different slots...no help.
>
> >Don't have another compatable vid card so I can't try anything there.
>
> >Tried AGAIN reformatting with a commercial (non-Dell) XP Pro disc.
> >Didn't get a BSOD, but the machine locked up at the same point as with
> >the Dell CD.
>
> >Tried connecting the HDD to the MB with a different SATA cable, to
> >different ports...no help.
>
> >This is a stock machine and I'm sure the Dell installation disc is the
> >correct one.
>
> >I'm going to try running DBAN and when that's done I'll try the
> >CTRL+F11 maneuver.  I'll post back.
>
> >Thanks again.
>
> Well, I wiped the HDD clean with DBAN and the situation is unchanged
> so I guess that means the malware wasn't the culprit and it HAS to be
> a hardware problem, or maybe BIOS?  I'd sure welcome any other ideas.
> Thanks again to all who have offered suggestions.
>
> Dave- Hide quoted text -

It's what Ben says, it's something to do with a BIOS setting for the
SATA drive.
From: Christopher Muto on

"Juan Kerr" <juan.kerr(a)bluebottle.com> wrote in message
On Apr 19, 6:07 am, Dave Smith <Sally...(a)cox.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:53:39 -0700, Dave Smith <Sally...(a)cox.net>
> wrote:
>

> >On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:52:28 -0700, Dave Smith <Sally...(a)cox.net>
> >wrote:
>
> >>I'm trying to reformat a friend's Dell Dimension 9150. It was used by
> >>his son and is just a mass of viruses and adware so he just wants to
> >>start over. I have the factory recovery CD and when I boot from it,
> >>it goes through all the usual "Setup is loading files" steps until
> >>just after the "Setup is starting Windows" message. Then it goes to a
> >>BSOD. The Technical Info is:
>
> >>Stop 0x0000007E
>
> >>PCI.SYS - Address F853E0BF Base at F8537000
>
> >>I've googled these and not gotten anything that seems relevant to this
> >>situation. The machine will boot and run OK, the OS is just really
> >>messed up and gives a lot of popups.
>
> >>I have:
>
> >>Tried the factory CD in both CD drives.
>
> >>Tried a commercial XP Pro CD.
>
> >>Updated the BIOS. Actually, the BIOS version I got from Dell was the
> >>same as the one on the machine, but I flashed it anyway.
>
> >>Checked to make sure the Dell CD is the right one for the machine.
>
> >>I don't know where else to go with this. I'd sure appreciate any
> >>suggestions someone might have.
>
> >>Thanks very much.
>
> >Thanks very much for all who have replied so far.
>
> >An update:
>
> >I tried removing each of the RAM sticks...no help.
>
> >Tried installing the RAM in different slots...no help.
>
> >Don't have another compatable vid card so I can't try anything there.
>
> >Tried AGAIN reformatting with a commercial (non-Dell) XP Pro disc.
> >Didn't get a BSOD, but the machine locked up at the same point as with
> >the Dell CD.
>
> >Tried connecting the HDD to the MB with a different SATA cable, to
> >different ports...no help.
>
> >This is a stock machine and I'm sure the Dell installation disc is the
> >correct one.
>
> >I'm going to try running DBAN and when that's done I'll try the
> >CTRL+F11 maneuver. I'll post back.
>
> >Thanks again.
>
> Well, I wiped the HDD clean with DBAN and the situation is unchanged
> so I guess that means the malware wasn't the culprit and it HAS to be
> a hardware problem, or maybe BIOS? I'd sure welcome any other ideas.
> Thanks again to all who have offered suggestions.
>
> Dave- Hide quoted text -

It's what Ben says, it's something to do with a BIOS setting for the
SATA drive.

------

or a newer pcie video card was installed and a windows xp sp1 disk is being
used.
what is the configuration of this machine? anything connected to the usb
ports other than keyboard and mouse?

From: Dave Smith on
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 22:07:12 -0700, Dave Smith <Sallydog(a)cox.net>
wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:53:39 -0700, Dave Smith <Sallydog(a)cox.net>
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:52:28 -0700, Dave Smith <Sallydog(a)cox.net>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I'm trying to reformat a friend's Dell Dimension 9150. It was used by
>>>his son and is just a mass of viruses and adware so he just wants to
>>>start over. I have the factory recovery CD and when I boot from it,
>>>it goes through all the usual "Setup is loading files" steps until
>>>just after the "Setup is starting Windows" message. Then it goes to a
>>>BSOD. The Technical Info is:
>>>
>>>Stop 0x0000007E
>>>
>>>PCI.SYS - Address F853E0BF Base at F8537000
>>>
>>>I've googled these and not gotten anything that seems relevant to this
>>>situation. The machine will boot and run OK, the OS is just really
>>>messed up and gives a lot of popups.
>>>
>>>I have:
>>>
>>>Tried the factory CD in both CD drives.
>>>
>>>Tried a commercial XP Pro CD.
>>>
>>>Updated the BIOS. Actually, the BIOS version I got from Dell was the
>>>same as the one on the machine, but I flashed it anyway.
>>>
>>>Checked to make sure the Dell CD is the right one for the machine.
>>>
>>>I don't know where else to go with this. I'd sure appreciate any
>>>suggestions someone might have.
>>>
>>>Thanks very much.
>>
>>Thanks very much for all who have replied so far.
>>
>>An update:
>>
>>I tried removing each of the RAM sticks...no help.
>>
>>Tried installing the RAM in different slots...no help.
>>
>>Don't have another compatable vid card so I can't try anything there.
>>
>>Tried AGAIN reformatting with a commercial (non-Dell) XP Pro disc.
>>Didn't get a BSOD, but the machine locked up at the same point as with
>>the Dell CD.
>>
>>Tried connecting the HDD to the MB with a different SATA cable, to
>>different ports...no help.
>>
>>This is a stock machine and I'm sure the Dell installation disc is the
>>correct one.
>>
>>I'm going to try running DBAN and when that's done I'll try the
>>CTRL+F11 maneuver. I'll post back.
>>
>>Thanks again.
>
>Well, I wiped the HDD clean with DBAN and the situation is unchanged
>so I guess that means the malware wasn't the culprit and it HAS to be
>a hardware problem, or maybe BIOS? I'd sure welcome any other ideas.
>Thanks again to all who have offered suggestions.
>
>Dave

OK. So I tried a couple other things...

I removed and reseated the video card. I checked with the fellow
who owns the machine and he says it's bone stock.

I checked and reseated all the cables again and then I connected an
old but good IDE HDD to the IDE cable and power for one of the optical
drives and disconnected the SATA HDD and its power cord. I figured
for sure that would make a difference but nope. Same stop message at
the same point.

There is nothing connected to the machine but a mouse and keyboard and
monitor and the owner gave it to me after having this same problem at
his house so it's not something in my peripherals.

Again, thanks very much for any help past and future.

Dave
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: PBR
Next: Need picture of Altec Lansing ACS340 power supply