From: Dave Smith on
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 22:09:17 -0400, "Christopher Muto"
<muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>"Dave Smith" <Sallydog(a)cox.net> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 07:01:21 -0500, "WSZsr" <nospam(a)hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Go into the BIOS to the SATA Operation setting and change it from "Raid
>>>Autodetect/AHCI" to "Raid Autodetect/ATA" and give it a try.
>>>
>>>"Dave Smith" <Sallydog(a)cox.net> wrote in message
>>>>

>> Thanks for the suggestion. Tried it and no go.
>>
>> After that I reset the BIOS to factory default just in case something
>> else had changed and after removing the Diskette drive from the boot
>> sequence it booted off the recovery disc but then to the same BSOD.
>
>this must be very frustrating... i wonder if the led diagnostic lights
>labled abcd that are on the back of the system are light in all green or are
>reporting an error code (off, green, or amber in any combination). also, if
>you have the original cds, have you trid popping in the diagnostic cd and
>seeing if the system passes all diagnostics?

It is VERY frustrating. It would be worse if it were a computer that
I depended on. Fortunately it's my friend's son's machine and not
critical at the moment. I took it on as a favor to him (I owe him
many) and as a learning challenge for me. I really didn't anticipate
what a challenge it would be and I really appreciate the help you and
others have given me.

I don't see any LEDs on the back of the box or in the box, other than
the one on the MB and I don't have a diagnostic CD, but he might. I'll
ask him. Is it bootable?
From: Dave Smith on

Just to try it, I tried booting from a Norton Ghost 12 CD. It booted
into the program just fine. It also booted and ran the DBAN program
CD fine. I tried an old Win 98 CD and it didn't boot it at all. Lack
of SATA support? I tried my non-Dell XP Pro CD again and got to the
"Welcome to Setup" screen and it locked up.

Just a little more info for those who are following this.

Thanks to all.

Dave
From: Timothy Drouillard on
If you are using a non-Dell Xp Pro CD, then you will definitely need to
download the drivers for the SATA drives, and install them using F6 during
the initial installation .

From: Ben Myers on
Not necessarily. The latest Windows XP with Service Pack 2C finally integrates
SATA drivers. Oh, say can 2-C? ... Ben Myers

From: Christopher Muto on
and it wouldn't end with bsod, it would end with no drives found...
but there may well be something else wrong with the windows cd being used.
i think the op has to boot with the dell diagnostics cd and run them
continuiously until it reports and error.

"Ben Myers" <ben_myers_spam_me_not(a)charter.net> wrote in message
> Not necessarily. The latest Windows XP with Service Pack 2C finally
> integrates
> SATA drivers. Oh, say can 2-C? ... Ben Myers
>
> On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 23:16:04 -0400, "Timothy Drouillard"
> <timdrouillard(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>If you are using a non-Dell Xp Pro CD, then you will definitely need to
>>download the drivers for the SATA drives, and install them using F6 during
>>the initial installation .
>>

>>"Dave Smith" <Sallydog(a)cox.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Just to try it, I tried booting from a Norton Ghost 12 CD. It booted
>>> into the program just fine. It also booted and ran the DBAN program
>>> CD fine. I tried an old Win 98 CD and it didn't boot it at all. Lack
>>> of SATA support? I tried my non-Dell XP Pro CD again and got to the
>>> "Welcome to Setup" screen and it locked up.
>>>
>>> Just a little more info for those who are following this.
>>>
>>> Thanks to all.
>>>
>>> Dave

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: PBR
Next: Need picture of Altec Lansing ACS340 power supply