From: wm_walsh on
Hi!

> Just to try it, I tried booting from a Norton
> Ghost 12 CD. It booted into the program just
> fine. It also booted and ran the DBAN program
> CD fine.

That sounds like the hardware is generally working then.

> I tried an old Win 98 CD and it didn't boot
> it at all.

Windows 98 CDs are generally not bootable.

At this point, you might see if you can get a SATA driver--perhaps the
system does in fact need one in order to work right. Windows XP setup
*should* just give up if it can't find any disks (and a message to
that effect should be reported).

You might also check system setup for a few options:

1. Processor speed--if there's a choice (my Dim8300 has one), try
setting it to "compatible" or "slow". If the problem is one of timing,
this might fix it.

2. SATA mode--some onboard SATA implementations (and controller cards)
can act as "RAID" controllers. With one disk there is no point in
turning this on. Try changing it to work as a regular disk controller.
This will almost most likely remove the requirement for special SATA
drivers.

Finally, are there any expansion cards or additional RAM installed
beyond what the system came with from the factory? Try simplifying the
configuration to see what happens.

William
From: Dave Smith on
On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 08:56:19 -0700 (PDT), wm_walsh(a)hotmail.com wrote:

>Hi!
>
>> Just to try it, I tried booting from a Norton
>> Ghost 12 CD. It booted into the program just
>> fine. It also booted and ran the DBAN program
>> CD fine.
>
>That sounds like the hardware is generally working then.
>
>> I tried an old Win 98 CD and it didn't boot
>> it at all.
>
>Windows 98 CDs are generally not bootable.
>
>At this point, you might see if you can get a SATA driver--perhaps the
>system does in fact need one in order to work right. Windows XP setup
>*should* just give up if it can't find any disks (and a message to
>that effect should be reported).
>
>You might also check system setup for a few options:
>
>1. Processor speed--if there's a choice (my Dim8300 has one), try
>setting it to "compatible" or "slow". If the problem is one of timing,
>this might fix it.
>
>2. SATA mode--some onboard SATA implementations (and controller cards)
>can act as "RAID" controllers. With one disk there is no point in
>turning this on. Try changing it to work as a regular disk controller.
>This will almost most likely remove the requirement for special SATA
>drivers.
>
>Finally, are there any expansion cards or additional RAM installed
>beyond what the system came with from the factory? Try simplifying the
>configuration to see what happens.
>
>William

Thanks very much. I tried all of those things and no help. I did get
the driver that Bill recommended and if I can get a diskette drive
installed on this machine I'll try it. The machine is stock from the
factory and I have tried removing the RAM sticks one at a time and
also inserting them in different slots.

Again, I did connect an IDE hard drive to the machine (jumpers
properly configured) and got the SAME blue screen message. I don't
know if that makes any sense or gives any info, but I thought I'd try
it.

BTW, the BS message gives no error text about drivers or anything
else. Just the:

Stop 0x0000007E

PCI.SYS - Address F853E0BF Base at F8537000

I also checked the diagnostic lights and read the docs about them.
Thanks Pen. When I turn the machine on, the lights blink for a short
while and then go off and stay off. The power light on the front is
on and the MB light is on.

From: Christopher Muto on
i haven't seen that. but if that is what you have experianced then this
suggets that the op is simply using the wrong cd. and if the home has more
than one dell he could have easily be using the wrong one... and that the
solution is simply to press f6 durring set up to supply the sata drivers
that can be dowloaded from the dell web site.

From: Dave Smith on
On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 12:17:54 -0400, "Christopher Muto"
<muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>i haven't seen that. but if that is what you have experianced then this
>suggets that the op is simply using the wrong cd. and if the home has more
>than one dell he could have easily be using the wrong one... and that the
>solution is simply to press f6 durring set up to supply the sata drivers
>that can be dowloaded from the dell web site.

Thanks Christopher. I'll ask the owner of the machine to double check
that he gave me the right disk. I'll also get the drivers and see
what I can do with them.

Thanks again.

Dave
From: Colin Wilson on
> >i haven't seen that. but if that is what you have experianced then this
> >suggets that the op is simply using the wrong cd.
> Thanks Christopher. I'll ask the owner of the machine to double check
> that he gave me the right disk. I'll also get the drivers and see
> what I can do with them.

I have a Toshiba laptop, and neither my Dell XP CD or the normal
install disc I use (XP Corp SP2) would work - kept keeling over early
in the setup.

Bearing in mind these discs work on every other piece of hardware i've
thrown them at, I was at a loss too - my mate happened to have a copy
that worked on it, not sure what the difference was between them
though. There's definitely no SATA config on the laptop, it's an issue
with the XP discs themselves.