From: Karl E. Peterson on
Jeff Johnson wrote:
> Bastards. And I mean both Microsoft AND the idiot unwashed masses who think
> Web forums/Facebook/Twitter are better than NNTP.

Amen!

--
..NET: It's About Trust! http://vfred.mvps.org
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Nobody wrote:
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Wow, not only has www.eternal-september.org apparently said it will not
>> honor the rogue rmgroup requests for the microsoft.public.* hierarchy, it
>> appears they have now added (nearly?) all the groups that they didn't
>> already have to those they carry!
>
> If Google honors "rmgroup" command, then unfortunately new microsoft.public.*
> posts will not be archived or searchable in Google.

Google seems to honor no request. ;-)

From: Karl E. Peterson on
DanS wrote:
>> Bastards. And I mean both Microsoft AND the idiot unwashed
>> masses who think Web forums/Facebook/Twitter are better
>> than NNTP.
>
> The big beef I have with web 'forums' is usually there is no
> threading messages.....it just looks like one long page of post
> after post with no hierarchy shown.

Yeah, I was over there surveying the territory the last couple days.
It's a freakin' mess!!! You can't track responses to your posts, new
messages in threads, who responds to who, nothing! And I can read a
dozen or more messages in this group in the time it takes me to switch
from one to another in that gawdawful mess.

Microsoft has truly built it's own special Hell to rot in, this time!

From: Peter T on
"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message

> Yeah, I was over there surveying the territory the last couple days. It's
> a freakin' mess!!! You can't track responses to your posts, new messages
> in threads, who responds to who, nothing! And I can read a dozen or more
> messages in this group in the time it takes me to switch from one to
> another in that gawdawful mess.

FWIW there are a couple of Bridge alternatives which allow the familiar
newsreader UI for the new web forums. The MS version, or rather versions as
you need one for Answers and another for MSDN & TechNet, is here

http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums

But forget about that, Jochan Kalmback announced his version just a week ago
and hit the ground running. Just the single app with loads of features,
typically a new one every day.

http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/
(see the Documentation page)

Regards,
Peter T

From: kpg on
Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in news:hu6pnc$p06$1(a)news.eternal-
september.org:

> Wow, not only has www.eternal-september.org apparently said it will not
> honor the rogue rmgroup requests for the microsoft.public.* hierarchy,
> it appears they have now added (nearly?) all the groups that they
> didn't already have to those they carry!
>
> If you have an E-S account, and are using a newsreader that doesn't
> automatically notify you of new groups, it's time to renew your lists.

I'm coming in to this late...what is the advantage of using es vs ms?

Is ms dropping the classic vb groups? Nobody tells me anything.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: Find unused controls on a form
Next: stepper motor