From: Paul Clement on
On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 23:22:59 -0400, "Mayayana" <mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> wrote:

� | Well, two of my threads have been locked now. No idea who actually
� | locked the first. But they were both driving a *lot* of traffic, which
� | is one of the things Microsoft seems to be seriously hurting for. Go
� | figure, huh?
� |

� Trying to read those threads is a good lesson
� in the problems with forums. You've got several
� discussions going with different people, but there's
� no way to distinguish which sub-thread is which,
� other than by the poster's name. If, for
� instance, John Anthony Oliver, "DeborahK" and Paul
� Clement each joined the others' sub-thread, there'd
� be no hope of sorting out any of it.

You can use the NNTP Bridge with your news reader and it will display the sub-threads. The structure
is there, it just isn't displayed that way on the web page.

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
From: C. Kevin Provance on
wrote:
:
: You can use the NNTP Bridge with your news reader and it will display the
sub-threads. The structure
: is there, it just isn't displayed that way on the web page.

Why? That software - and I use that term very loosely - is a badly wrotten,
bug ridden piece of $hit. I wouldn't offer it for download to my worst
enemies...including you.

But since the MSFT boards continue to exist on Usenet (to your master's
chagrin), even tho MSFT pulled the plug on them, I think those of us with an
ounce of common sense will stay here, where life is simple. You can keep
your sloppy forum and your dingle balls.

From: Peter T on
"C. Kevin Provance" <*@*.*> wrote in message

> : You can use the NNTP Bridge with your news reader and it will display
> the
> sub-threads. The structure
> : is there, it just isn't displayed that way on the web page.
>
> Why? That software - and I use that term very loosely - is a badly
> wrotten,
> bug ridden piece of $hit. I wouldn't offer it for download to my worst
> enemies...including you.

Do you mean Jochan Kalmback's Bridge, and if so why do you rate it so
poorly, seems pretty good to me.

Peter T

From: C. Kevin Provance on

"Peter T" <peter_t(a)discussions.com> wrote in message
:
: Do you mean Jochan Kalmback's Bridge, and if so why do you rate it so
: poorly, seems pretty good to me.

No...never heard of the dude. I'm talking about MSFT's pos.

From: Mayayana on
Paul's such a card, isn't he? :)

It's like the .Net logic: You can write software, or
you can write pseudo-Java that requires a CD's
worth of runtime files.

Likewise, you can read useful newsgroups about
topics of interest, or you can download questionable
software, sign up for a Microsoft tracking collar ID,
visit a web forum about something you have no interest
in, maybe manage to read the irrelevant posts with the
help of the add-on software, and maybe even post
something yourself (that you're not interested in) if
the censors don't delete what you have to say.

Apropos of all this:
I noticed that TheRegister has a piece today about
Microsoft's current tech. conference. They say that MS
is starting to focus in a big way on Azure.

| Why? That software - and I use that term very loosely - is a badly
wrotten,
| bug ridden piece of $hit. I wouldn't offer it for download to my worst
| enemies...including you.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Prev: Find unused controls on a form
Next: stepper motor