From: dpb on
mp wrote:
> so I thought "everyone" was moving over to comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
> why are these threads here...why is the group still here for that
> matter...as they're dropping like flys
> and why am i only seeing one or two posts a day over on es
> comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
> did i get the group name wrong?
Most everybody is still watching m.p.vb.g.d altho they may have already
stopped using the ms news servers to do so.

Since usenet/nntp is a distributed protocol, it doesn't rely on a single
server so (as noted elsewhere) as long as the other mirror newsservers
don't honor a "removegroup" request, the group will still be mirrored on
their servers and all that has happened is that one (happens to be the
original, but there is no hierarchy in usenet) server isn't around any more.

clbvm was the proposed "drop dead" alternative if, indeed, it turned out
that the other servers did honor a request and the groups did disappear
but since that isn't happening, there's no need until (and big if) it
ever does (which I personally doubt will happen).

At some point when MS does pull the plug on mpvbgd on their server you
will have to go to another server or acquiesce to the new regime, but
merely switching servers is fairly trivial.

From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"Henning" <computer_hero(a)coldmail.com> wrote:

>Ha, I'll hold you responsible for an hour of lost work by them links;) Just
>couldn't stop reading...

Hehehehe Well said.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Dee Earley on
On 05/06/2010 01:32, dpb wrote:
> mp wrote:
>> so I thought "everyone" was moving over to comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
>> why are these threads here...why is the group still here for that
>> matter...as they're dropping like flys
>> and why am i only seeing one or two posts a day over on es
>> comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
>> did i get the group name wrong?
> Most everybody is still watching m.p.vb.g.d altho they may have already
> stopped using the ms news servers to do so.
>
> Since usenet/nntp is a distributed protocol, it doesn't rely on a single
> server so (as noted elsewhere) as long as the other mirror newsservers
> don't honor a "removegroup" request, the group will still be mirrored on
> their servers and all that has happened is that one (happens to be the
> original, but there is no hierarchy in usenet) server isn't around any
> more.

Some may not propagate messages through/from anything other than the MS
news servers so they may well end up as disparate groups.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)
From: mp on

"dpb" <none(a)non.net> wrote in message
> mp wrote:
>> so I thought "everyone" was moving over to comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
>> why are these threads here...why is the group still here for that
>> matter...as they're dropping like flys
>> and why am i only seeing one or two posts a day over on es
>> comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
>> did i get the group name wrong?
> Most everybody is still watching m.p.vb.g.d altho they may have already
> stopped using the ms news servers to do so.
>
> Since usenet/nntp is a distributed protocol, it doesn't rely on a single
> server so (as noted elsewhere) as long as the other mirror newsservers
> don't honor a "removegroup" request, the group will still be mirrored on
> their servers and all that has happened is that one (happens to be the
> original, but there is no hierarchy in usenet) server isn't around any
> more.
>
> clbvm was the proposed "drop dead" alternative if, indeed, it turned out
> that the other servers did honor a request and the groups did disappear
> but since that isn't happening, there's no need until (and big if) it ever
> does (which I personally doubt will happen).
>
> At some point when MS does pull the plug on mpvbgd on their server you
> will have to go to another server or acquiesce to the new regime, but
> merely switching servers is fairly trivial.
>
> --

But eternal september doesn't appear to be one of the servers mirroring
mpvbgd, right?
I dont' see it in their list of ngs
similar, is that right?
mark

From: Helmut Meukel on
"mp" <nospam(a)thanks.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> But eternal september doesn't appear to be one of the servers mirroring
> mpvbgd, right?
> I dont' see it in their list of ngs
> So one has to subscribe to one of the pay servers like giganews or something
> similar, is that right?
> mark

Huh?

I just read your post using eternal-september.

Helmut.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Prev: Find unused controls on a form
Next: stepper motor