From: Bob Johnson on
>google chrome is impressive too.

agreed.
opera is also a very fast browser.
http://www.opera.com/

Best Regards,
Bob Johnson
From: Pat Conover on
"RnR" <rnrtexas(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <i32kag$du3$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, public(a)comcast.net
> says...
>>
>> "Ben Myers" <ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote in message

>> > Pat,
>> >
>> > There was an IE plug-in for earlier versions of Firefox and it would
>> > even
>> > do the Windows Update song and dance. Unfortunately, too many
>> > commercial
>> > business web sites have bought into the proprietary Microsoft way of
>> > web
>> > browsing, so Active X and Dot-Net stuff abounds.
>> >
>> > ... Ben Myers
>>
>> Ben,
>>
>> No biggie, I can switch back and forth as needed, was just wondering
>> though
>> because I had only used Firefox for a little while and already found
>> several
>> useful plugins. Nice program that does what its supposed to do! Just
>> kicking myself for not switching years ago, like you all told me to. Pat
>

> Yes, MLS where I am won't play friendly with Firefox either. I only use
> IE for the sites that aren't compatible with firefox which for me is
> about 2% of where I go to. And Ben is correct. There was a IE plugin
> for firefox but I'm not sure if it still works for the most recent
> firefox versions. Their website will tell you this. And yes, I too like
> firefox and I think I've been using it for 3 or 4 years now.

RNR,

Not to get too personal in the Dell group, but I assume you are a fellow
realtor or appraiser, like me? Pat

From: Pat Conover on
"Christopher Muto" <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Pat Conover wrote:
>> "Ben Myers" <ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote in message

>>> Pat,
>>>
>>> There was an IE plug-in for earlier versions of Firefox and it would
>>> even do the Windows Update song and dance. Unfortunately, too many
>>> commercial business web sites have bought into the proprietary Microsoft
>>> way of web browsing, so Active X and Dot-Net stuff abounds.
>>>
>>> ... Ben Myers
>>
>> Ben,
>>
>> No biggie, I can switch back and forth as needed, was just wondering
>> though because I had only used Firefox for a little while and already
>> found several useful plugins. Nice program that does what its supposed
>> to do! Just kicking myself for not switching years ago, like you all
>> told me to. Pat
>
> google chrome is impressive too. but neither chrome or firefox support
> active-x so you have to keep in mind why you are unable to view certain
> sites or simply unable to check out when shopping some sites. i find it
> frustrating enough that i still mainly use ie despite its other problems.

Chris, I haven't kept up with my computer skills like I should, but isn't
uncontrolled active x the reason I get 8 billion spam emails from my friends
IE only infected computers. One of the many M$ holes that allows a busload
of bad stuff through the gates on a daily basis? Hence, Patch Tuesdays! Pat

From: Pat Conover on
"Pat Conover" <nobody(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> "Christopher Muto" <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> Pat Conover wrote:
>>> "Ben Myers" <ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote in message

>>> Ben,
>>>
>>> No biggie, I can switch back and forth as needed, was just wondering
>>> though because I had only used Firefox for a little while and already
>>> found several useful plugins. Nice program that does what its supposed
>>> to do! Just kicking myself for not switching years ago, like you all
>>> told me to. Pat
>>
>> google chrome is impressive too. but neither chrome or firefox support
>> active-x so you have to keep in mind why you are unable to view certain
>> sites or simply unable to check out when shopping some sites. i find it
>> frustrating enough that i still mainly use ie despite its other problems.
>
> Chris, I haven't kept up with my computer skills like I should, but isn't
> uncontrolled active x the reason I get 8 billion spam emails from my
> friends IE only infected computers. One of the many M$ holes that allows
> a busload of bad stuff through the gates on a daily basis? Hence, Patch
> Tuesdays! Pat
After kicking my own butt last night, while actually rediscovering the
internet with a stable and super fast browser, dare I say that I may also
switch to Thunderbird from Outlook? I just downloaded both to install on my
Dim 9150 and may install on my primary work/production machine, the old, now
with 2GB of memory, 4550 too. Any suggestions or tips for that upgrade?

Like IE8, I can't ditch Outlook altogether because I need to sync my
Contacts and Calendar to my Moto Q cell phone. (Chris, that is why I haven't
done an Outlook repair install or reinstall from an earlier post you helped
with. What a PIA to get the M$ Active Sync sw to work with my usb connected
cell.) And if any of you encounter the 1.75GB .pst file size limitation,
post here and I will give you the quick, simple fix. Unlike the Official
bludgeon your pst file to death fix from M$. Banged my head hard on the
wall, after I figured the real fix out!

Can Thunderbird sync to my Moto Q cell phone? I will research futher, but
am too anxious to just install and let Thunderbird do its thing to Outlook.
I don't think I have been this excited about software, since I discovered a
TSR Memory Manager for my old Sam's Club bleeding edge Packard Bell 386,
running Win 3.1. ;-) Thanks for all the help, Pat

From: Bob Villa on
On Jul 31, 4:43 pm, "Pat Conover" <pub...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
> I finally got sick enough of IE8 to try Firefox and all I can say is WOW!
> It's like driving a Ferrari compared to a Kia.  You folks always recommended
> it, but I never knew it was that much faster.  I use IE8 because a lot of my
> business sites only use it and I thought I was pretty much stuck with it.
>
> Are there any IE8 plugins or compatibility mode to use?  The local MLS site
> I use won't load right with FF, so I guess I need to use IE8 for that.
>
> Thanks, Pat

One security step for FF...uncheck "Accept 3rd Party Cookies". They
are accepted by default. (Options, Privacy)

bob