From: Cmplx80 on
Pat Conover wrote:
> I finally got sick enough of IE8 to try Firefox and all I can say is WOW!
> It's like driving a Ferrari compared to a Kia. You folks always recommended
> it, but I never knew it was that much faster. I use IE8 because a lot of my
> business sites only use it and I thought I was pretty much stuck with it.
>
> Are there any IE8 plugins or compatibility mode to use? The local MLS site
> I use won't load right with FF, so I guess I need to use IE8 for that.
>
> Thanks, Pat

FF seems to be a little better than IE8, but Mozilla has this incredible
knack for screwing up what use to work in older releases. Case in point:
Using " 'right click' | save image as " now crashes on every
version I've tried since at least 3.6.4--maybe earlier. On Vista, it's
a corruption of the downloads sql file in profile. In Windows 7, I have
no idea what it is. It's a known (Mozilla) problem. There are also
ongoing problems that are fixed by deleting cookies. FF add-ons,
extensions can also lead to some very flakey behavior.

Frank
From: Pat Conover on
"Jim Higgins" <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 10:30:59 -0400, "Pat Conover" <nobody(a)comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>>The other night I sent a broadcast email to many members of my
>>professional
>>association about a hot button topic, adding my two cents. The next
>>morning
>>I had 20 spam emails all from the same name or variation. My friend who
>>was
>>on that nights email recipient list, had his email just about shutdown
>>with
>>all of this mess. We both worked on fixing that for a while, and I still
>>don't know if he is back up and running. The same thing happened a couple
>>of years ago, with another mass email I sent. My friend who is computer
>>savvy, and I can only surmise that those email recipients are running IE
>>active-x freely, have No Windows updates, no firewalls, no AV, no malware
>>scanners, etc., and they are severly infected with viri and malware.
>>There
>>machines then take that whole list of folks and recycle them into the spam
>>pool and spam list sellers. That's what we thought, what do you think?
>

> If you think this's what's happening, or just as good practice, you
> should place that long list of email addresses into the BCC field of
> outgoing email so the entire list isn't revealed to every recipient.
>
> This sort of thing is a bit annoying in personal correspondence when
> everyone doesn't know everyone else and doesn't care to get the
> inevitable "Reply to all" replies... but for professional email
> revealing the whole list is what I'd call very unprofessional.

Jim, Good advice, and I usually do that too. But, in this case the email I
received was sent in the clear with all those names etc., exposed, and I
unfortunately didn't take the time to fix that mistake by the email chain
starter. I will try and remember the next time. How do you see/view Bcc
recipients? There were some on this email that I Did Not want to include in
my response, and deleted. I have not yet figured out how to view the Bcc
recipients. Thanks, Pat

From: RnR on
In article <4c559852$0$16597$c3e8da3(a)news.astraweb.com>, Cmplx80
@Karma.com says...

> Pat Conover wrote:
> > I finally got sick enough of IE8 to try Firefox and all I can say is WOW!
> > It's like driving a Ferrari compared to a Kia. You folks always recommended
> > it, but I never knew it was that much faster. I use IE8 because a lot of my
> > business sites only use it and I thought I was pretty much stuck with it.
> >
> > Are there any IE8 plugins or compatibility mode to use? The local MLS site
> > I use won't load right with FF, so I guess I need to use IE8 for that.
> >
> > Thanks, Pat
> >

> FF seems to be a little better than IE8, but Mozilla has this incredible
> knack for screwing up what use to work in older releases. Case in point:
> Using " 'right click' | save image as " now crashes on every
> version I've tried since at least 3.6.4--maybe earlier. On Vista, it's
> a corruption of the downloads sql file in profile. In Windows 7, I have
> no idea what it is. It's a known (Mozilla) problem. There are also
> ongoing problems that are fixed by deleting cookies. FF add-ons,
> extensions can also lead to some very flakey behavior.
>
> Frank

Frank, that's funny. I'm using firefox 3.6.8 and I have no problem
saving an image as you described. I just tested it on win 7 x64. I
won't comment on the cookies but as far as addons, I don't have any
problem and they warn you about them before hand. BTW, the addons
aren't authored by FF so to blame them is nonsense.
From: Cmplx80 on
RnR wrote:
> In article <4c559852$0$16597$c3e8da3(a)news.astraweb.com>, Cmplx80
> @Karma.com says...
>> Pat Conover wrote:
>>> I finally got sick enough of IE8 to try Firefox and all I can say is WOW!
>>> It's like driving a Ferrari compared to a Kia. You folks always recommended
>>> it, but I never knew it was that much faster. I use IE8 because a lot of my
>>> business sites only use it and I thought I was pretty much stuck with it.
>>>
>>> Are there any IE8 plugins or compatibility mode to use? The local MLS site
>>> I use won't load right with FF, so I guess I need to use IE8 for that.
>>>
>>> Thanks, Pat
>>>

>> FF seems to be a little better than IE8, but Mozilla has this incredible
>> knack for screwing up what use to work in older releases. Case in point:
>> Using " 'right click' | save image as " now crashes on every
>> version I've tried since at least 3.6.4--maybe earlier. On Vista, it's
>> a corruption of the downloads sql file in profile. In Windows 7, I have
>> no idea what it is. It's a known (Mozilla) problem. There are also
>> ongoing problems that are fixed by deleting cookies. FF add-ons,
>> extensions can also lead to some very flakey behavior.
>>
>> Frank
>

> Frank, that's funny. I'm using firefox 3.6.8 and I have no problem
> saving an image as you described. I just tested it on win 7 x64. I
> won't comment on the cookies but as far as addons, I don't have any
> problem and they warn you about them before hand. BTW, the addons
> aren't authored by FF so to blame them is nonsense.

This problem isn't unique to my system. Google it or hit the FF site
and witness the frustration. It is indeed a problem. The cookie
corruption has been with Firefox for some time. Clearing them out
temporarily solves it. The addons/extensions frequently fail because
the rate of FF releases to fix security is almost impossible to keep up
with. For example, the handy IE Tab. They may not be FF's, but without
them FF is an inadequate browser.

Frank
From: RnR on
In article <4c55e8a7$0$14506$c3e8da3(a)news.astraweb.com>, Cmplx80
@Karma.com says...

> RnR wrote:
> > In article <4c559852$0$16597$c3e8da3(a)news.astraweb.com>, Cmplx80
> > @Karma.com says...

> >> FF seems to be a little better than IE8, but Mozilla has this incredible
> >> knack for screwing up what use to work in older releases. Case in point:
> >> Using " 'right click' | save image as " now crashes on every
> >> version I've tried since at least 3.6.4--maybe earlier. On Vista, it's
> >> a corruption of the downloads sql file in profile. In Windows 7, I have
> >> no idea what it is. It's a known (Mozilla) problem. There are also
> >> ongoing problems that are fixed by deleting cookies. FF add-ons,
> >> extensions can also lead to some very flakey behavior.
> >>
> >> Frank
> >

> > Frank, that's funny. I'm using firefox 3.6.8 and I have no problem
> > saving an image as you described. I just tested it on win 7 x64. I
> > won't comment on the cookies but as far as addons, I don't have any
> > problem and they warn you about them before hand. BTW, the addons
> > aren't authored by FF so to blame them is nonsense.
>
> This problem isn't unique to my system. Google it or hit the FF site
> and witness the frustration. It is indeed a problem. The cookie
> corruption has been with Firefox for some time. Clearing them out
> temporarily solves it. The addons/extensions frequently fail because
> the rate of FF releases to fix security is almost impossible to keep up
> with. For example, the handy IE Tab. They may not be FF's, but without
> them FF is an inadequate browser.
>
> Frank

My problem with the addons are that they may work for one version of FF
but not necessarily for the updated FF version. Of course one doesn't
have to update FF or wait long enough and the addon may be updated to
work with that FF or the next one. I don't agree that without the addons
FF is inadequate but I do agree it is better with them.

For the most part, I don't have any problem with FF but some sites are
not written correctly so they won't work with FF. In those cases I will
resort to IE or IE based browsers.