From: Christopher Muto on
Pat Conover wrote:
> "Christopher Muto" <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> Pat Conover wrote:
>>> "Ben Myers" <ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote in message

>>> Ben,
>>>
>>> No biggie, I can switch back and forth as needed, was just wondering
>>> though because I had only used Firefox for a little while and already
>>> found several useful plugins. Nice program that does what its supposed
>>> to do! Just kicking myself for not switching years ago, like you all
>>> told me to. Pat
>> google chrome is impressive too. but neither chrome or firefox support
>> active-x so you have to keep in mind why you are unable to view certain
>> sites or simply unable to check out when shopping some sites. i find it
>> frustrating enough that i still mainly use ie despite its other problems.
>
> Chris, I haven't kept up with my computer skills like I should, but isn't
> uncontrolled active x the reason I get 8 billion spam emails from my friends
> IE only infected computers. One of the many M$ holes that allows a busload
> of bad stuff through the gates on a daily basis? Hence, Patch Tuesdays! Pat

active-x permits you to do things that you can't do in other browsers.
it also allows deviant people to make your browser do things that are
not in your best interest, but unless you permit ie to automatically
install active-x controls then it only happens with your consent.
getting tons of emails is not because of any browser but because people
are sending you tons of mail. sounds like you got yourself on some
spammers mailing list(s) and do not have a good spam filter. ironically
i find that most (as in more than half) of the machines that I encounter
with firefox or chrome are infected with malware that has crippled ie
and instead of the malware being addressed the work around was to
install an alternate browser. but of course there are others that them
it installed out of understandable resentment towards microsoft and
there are those that just plain like it better.

From: Christopher Muto on
Pat Conover wrote:
> "Pat Conover" <nobody(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>> "Christopher Muto" <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

>>> google chrome is impressive too. but neither chrome or firefox support
>>> active-x so you have to keep in mind why you are unable to view certain
>>> sites or simply unable to check out when shopping some sites. i find it
>>> frustrating enough that i still mainly use ie despite its other problems.
>> Chris, I haven't kept up with my computer skills like I should, but isn't
>> uncontrolled active x the reason I get 8 billion spam emails from my
>> friends IE only infected computers. One of the many M$ holes that allows
>> a busload of bad stuff through the gates on a daily basis? Hence, Patch
>> Tuesdays! Pat
> After kicking my own butt last night, while actually rediscovering the
> internet with a stable and super fast browser, dare I say that I may also
> switch to Thunderbird from Outlook? I just downloaded both to install on my
> Dim 9150 and may install on my primary work/production machine, the old, now
> with 2GB of memory, 4550 too. Any suggestions or tips for that upgrade?
>
> Like IE8, I can't ditch Outlook altogether because I need to sync my
> Contacts and Calendar to my Moto Q cell phone. (Chris, that is why I haven't
> done an Outlook repair install or reinstall from an earlier post you helped
> with. What a PIA to get the M$ Active Sync sw to work with my usb connected
> cell.) And if any of you encounter the 1.75GB .pst file size limitation,
> post here and I will give you the quick, simple fix. Unlike the Official
> bludgeon your pst file to death fix from M$. Banged my head hard on the
> wall, after I figured the real fix out!
>
> Can Thunderbird sync to my Moto Q cell phone? I will research futher, but
> am too anxious to just install and let Thunderbird do its thing to Outlook.
> I don't think I have been this excited about software, since I discovered a
> TSR Memory Manager for my old Sam's Club bleeding edge Packard Bell 386,
> running Win 3.1. ;-) Thanks for all the help, Pat

if you care to discuss the 2gb limitation of outlook ascii pst files
start another thread. there are several solutions on how to repair a
maxed out outlook file and also to convert it to a outlook unicode pst
file. but you may find it more productive to simply upgrade to a droid
and synchronize your contacts and calendar automatically and wirelessly
with gmail.
From: Pat Conover on
> Pat Conover wrote:
>> "Pat Conover" <nobody(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> "Christopher Muto" <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

>>> Chris, I haven't kept up with my computer skills like I should, but
>>> isn't uncontrolled active x the reason I get 8 billion spam emails from
>>> my friends IE only infected computers. One of the many M$ holes that
>>> allows a busload of bad stuff through the gates on a daily basis? Hence,
>>> Patch Tuesdays! Pat
>> After kicking my own butt last night, while actually rediscovering the
>> internet with a stable and super fast browser, dare I say that I may also
>> switch to Thunderbird from Outlook? I just downloaded both to install on
>> my Dim 9150 and may install on my primary work/production machine, the
>> old, now with 2GB of memory, 4550 too. Any suggestions or tips for that
>> upgrade?
>>
>> Like IE8, I can't ditch Outlook altogether because I need to sync my
>> Contacts and Calendar to my Moto Q cell phone. (Chris, that is why I
>> haven't done an Outlook repair install or reinstall from an earlier post
>> you helped with. What a PIA to get the M$ Active Sync sw to work with my
>> usb connected cell.) And if any of you encounter the 1.75GB .pst file
>> size limitation, post here and I will give you the quick, simple fix.
>> Unlike the Official bludgeon your pst file to death fix from M$. Banged
>> my head hard on the wall, after I figured the real fix out!
>>
>> Can Thunderbird sync to my Moto Q cell phone? I will research futher,
>> but am too anxious to just install and let Thunderbird do its thing to
>> Outlook. I don't think I have been this excited about software, since I
>> discovered a TSR Memory Manager for my old Sam's Club bleeding edge
>> Packard Bell 386, running Win 3.1. ;-) Thanks for all the help, Pat
>
> if you care to discuss the 2gb limitation of outlook ascii pst files start
> another thread. there are several solutions on how to repair a maxed out
> outlook file and also to convert it to a outlook unicode pst file. but you
> may find it more productive to simply upgrade to a droid and synchronize
> your contacts and calendar automatically and wirelessly with gmail.

Chris, as suggested I started a new Outlook PST thread. Good stuff for a
Sunday morning chat. An Outlook unicode pst file sounds promising.

Back to this thread, I was looking at new cell phones, but my Moto Q does
all I need, and I don't have to get the shove it down your throat $$$$ data
plan from Verizon. I am an early bag phone Verizon customer and
Grandfathered with a Smart Phone and no data plan. I was looking at a new
Blackberry or Droid. But, my friend has a Verizon Droid and he says it is a
great cell phone, with all kinds of neat features, except for making and
recieving cell phone calls. Dropped calls, poor or no reception, etc., all
here in SNJ one of Verizons most overbuilt cellular coverage areas. Reviews
of Blackberry's and other Smart Phones that do sync with Outlook seem to
report the same things as my friend. So many features added, they forgot
what a cell phone is supposed to do!
Thanks again for the all suggestions and help, Pat

From: Pat Conover on
"Bob Villa" <pheeh.zero(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Jul 31, 4:43 pm, "Pat Conover" <pub...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
> I finally got sick enough of IE8 to try Firefox and all I can say is WOW!
> It's like driving a Ferrari compared to a Kia. You folks always
> recommended
> it, but I never knew it was that much faster. I use IE8 because a lot of
> my
> business sites only use it and I thought I was pretty much stuck with it.
>
> Are there any IE8 plugins or compatibility mode to use? The local MLS site
> I use won't load right with FF, so I guess I need to use IE8 for that.
>
> Thanks, Pat

One security step for FF...uncheck "Accept 3rd Party Cookies". They
are accepted by default. (Options, Privacy)

bob

Thanks Bob, just the information I needed, since I don't have a FF clue, and
will do, Pat

From: Bob Levine on
"Pat Conover" <public(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> I finally got sick enough of IE8 to try Firefox and all I can say is WOW!
> It's like driving a Ferrari compared to a Kia. You folks always
> recommended it, but I never knew it was that much faster. I use IE8
> because a lot of my business sites only use it and I thought I was pretty
> much stuck with it.
>
> Are there any IE8 plugins or compatibility mode to use? The local MLS
> site I use won't load right with FF, so I guess I need to use IE8 for
> that.
>
> Thanks, Pat

Want more wow? Check out Google Chrome!

Bob