From: BillW50 on
On 8/3/2010 12:12 AM, Ben Myers wrote:
> Switch to Thunderbird for a newsreader. I once used Forte's Free Agent,
> cheap so-and-so that I am. I finally went to TBird instead. My sense is
> that Forte is no longer doing much development on its Agent products.
> Thunderbird is decent right now, and continues to evolve.
>
> ... Ben Myers

I too sometimes use TB (v1.5, 2.0, and v3). And all non-MS newsreaders
has a very sever limitation IMHO. And that is lacking to find replies to
your posts very quickly. Under MS ones, you just press CTRL-H and there
they all are. It is so easy and fast. Everybody else requires setting up
rules and jumping through loops and stuff. And they still don't work as
nicely as the MS method does in the end anyway. And I see no reason why
others leaves this most important feature out of their newsreaders! What
is wrong with them?

The second beef I have with TB is that it will peg the CPU while looking
for new messages. Which doesn't sound like a very big deal to most, but
I also do time shift recording from my TV tuner. And while TB is pegging
my Celeron CPUs and I am recording, I end up with freeze frames in my
files. This isn't nice at all.

I understand why a programmer would want to hog the CPU for their
application. As it boosts performance of course. But programming in this
fashion makes for a very bad neighbor. There is no reason to program
like this and to act badly in a multitasking environment.

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2
From: BillW50 on
On 8/3/2010 12:13 AM, Ben Myers wrote:
> On 8/2/2010 5:28 PM, BillW50 wrote:
>> In news:i340f9$ohh$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
>> Pat Conover typed on Sun, 1 Aug 2010 10:30:59 -0400:
>>
>>> Chris, Active-x needs my permission to run on all my machines...
>>
>> At least IE allows you to turn it off. Firefox OTOH uses DCOM to allow
>> programs to have full control (just like ActiveX does). Unfortunately
>> the developers of Firefox are very shortsighted and doesn't allow for
>> you to turn it off. And those who knows this fact, are scared to death
>> of Firefox. I personally run it within a sandbox for this reason alone.
>> Except under Linux because I know of no sandbox software for Linux. And
>> I really wish I had one. Thank goodness for backups. ;-)
>>
>> And I am glad you like Firefox. Although I have been using Firefox since
>> v1.5 and I always disliked it! As there is that DCOM huge security hole,
>> but memory leaks, and displaying lots of pages incorrectly just to name
>> a few. Although IE7 and IE8 isn't that great either. Although at least
>> they do run in their own sandbox by default. Or so I have been told
>> anyway. ;-)
>>

> Why use Firefox at all, if you do not like it? Intellectual curiousity?
>
> ... Ben Myers

Yes that and Firefox does work with some websites like titantv.com
better than IE7 does for example. IE7 does work at this site, but it is
very slow to scroll around at first. Firefox I can scroll around here
right away and that is very handy. Opera is very fast here too, but
displays it slightly incorrectly.

From: Bob Villa on
On Aug 2, 10:13 pm, Ben Myers <ben_my...(a)charter.net> wrote:
> On 8/2/2010 5:28 PM, BillW50 wrote:

> Why use Firefox at all, if you do not like it?  Intellectual curiousity?
>
> ... Ben Myers

You HAD to ask!?
From: BillW50 on
On 8/3/2010 1:48 PM, Bob Villa wrote:
> On Aug 2, 10:13 pm, Ben Myers<ben_my...(a)charter.net> wrote:
>> On 8/2/2010 5:28 PM, BillW50 wrote:
>

>> Why use Firefox at all, if you do not like it? Intellectual curiousity?
>>
>> ... Ben Myers
>
> You HAD to ask!?

You just can't help yourself from the ad hominem side, can you Bob? It
just sucks you in like a magnetic, doesn't it? And believe it or not,
some are repelled by ad hominem attacks. And much prefer intelligent
discussions instead. Something worth considering anyway. ;-)

From: Bob Villa on
On Aug 3, 2:30 pm, BillW50 <Bill...(a)aol.kom> wrote:
> On 8/3/2010 1:48 PM, Bob Villa wrote:
>
> > On Aug 2, 10:13 pm, Ben Myers<ben_my...(a)charter.net>  wrote:
> >> On 8/2/2010 5:28 PM, BillW50 wrote:
>
> >> Why use Firefox at all, if you do not like it?  Intellectual curiousity?
>
> >> ... Ben Myers
>
> > You HAD to ask!?
>
> You just can't help yourself from the ad hominem side, can you Bob? It
> just sucks you in like a magnetic, doesn't it? And believe it or not,
> some are repelled by ad hominem attacks. And much prefer intelligent
> discussions instead. Something worth considering anyway. ;-)
>
> --
> Bill
> Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2

I could just see Ben chuckling as he added "intellectual curiosity".
What you don't understand is you're so opinionated that you talk down
to people. THAT is what people find irritating.
Anyway magnets don't suck...they attract or repel. Which do you do?