From: BillW50 on
In news:i340f9$ohh$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
Pat Conover typed on Sun, 1 Aug 2010 10:30:59 -0400:

> Chris, Active-x needs my permission to run on all my machines...

At least IE allows you to turn it off. Firefox OTOH uses DCOM to allow
programs to have full control (just like ActiveX does). Unfortunately
the developers of Firefox are very shortsighted and doesn't allow for
you to turn it off. And those who knows this fact, are scared to death
of Firefox. I personally run it within a sandbox for this reason alone.
Except under Linux because I know of no sandbox software for Linux. And
I really wish I had one. Thank goodness for backups. ;-)

And I am glad you like Firefox. Although I have been using Firefox since
v1.5 and I always disliked it! As there is that DCOM huge security hole,
but memory leaks, and displaying lots of pages incorrectly just to name
a few. Although IE7 and IE8 isn't that great either. Although at least
they do run in their own sandbox by default. Or so I have been told
anyway. ;-)

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2

From: BillW50 on
In news:fl7a56pqcbaiglqg1u6q60rbaqlte8jkk3(a)4ax.com,
Bob Johnson typed on Sun, 01 Aug 2010 00:15:27 -0700:
>> google chrome is impressive too.
>
> agreed.
> opera is also a very fast browser.
> http://www.opera.com/

Google doesn't care about privacy for one and I don't trust anything by
Google for starters. Plus Chrome doesn't work for older OS and that is
ashamed. And while Opera is fast, it doesn't display web sites correctly
more times than not. Two that really disappointed me were eBay and
titantv.com. IE7 and IE8 really stinks under titantv.com (they are
really slow under this site). Only Firefox works well and fast there.

From: BillW50 on
In news:MPG.26c0dd5f75d5159d98969c(a)news.giganews.com,
RnR typed on Mon, 2 Aug 2010 14:49:56 -0500:
> In article <i372m6$9bc$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, BillW50(a)aol.kom
> says...
>> A quick search shows that some do have this problem. And some have
>> linked it to the Google toolbar. And some found they can get image
>> saves while running Firefox in its safe mode. Or by taking the image
>> and dragging it to the desktop is another way to get it to work.
>

> Not a problem for me but darn Forte Agent just won't work for me in a
> win 7 x64 virtual OS. I've taken down all defenses, stripped some
> processes and still can't get it to work. I am using the trial version
> of version 6, if that matters. Tried to email Forte Agent and about 1
> week later, no reply so I guess that's a joke. Since then I've
> switched to Gravity newsreader and it works okay but I prefer Agent
> if I can get it to work. Google didn't help.

Oh that is too bad. I haven't ran Forte Agent in many years. Yeah
support was that way back then too. Acronis True Image also has bad
support too with the same bugs in each version after version. And
support emails replies weeks later and they are generic and has nothing
to do with your problem. So much for paid support, eh?

From: Ben Myers on
On 8/2/2010 3:49 PM, RnR wrote:
> In article<i372m6$9bc$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, BillW50(a)aol.kom
> says...
>>
>> On 8/1/2010 3:34 PM, RnR wrote:
>>> In article<4c559852$0$16597$c3e8da3(a)news.astraweb.com>, Cmplx80
>>> @Karma.com says...

>>> Frank, that's funny. I'm using firefox 3.6.8 and I have no problem
>>> saving an image as you described. I just tested it on win 7 x64. I
>>> won't comment on the cookies but as far as addons, I don't have any
>>> problem and they warn you about them before hand. BTW, the addons
>>> aren't authored by FF so to blame them is nonsense.
>>
>> A quick search shows that some do have this problem. And some have
>> linked it to the Google toolbar. And some found they can get image saves
>> while running Firefox in its safe mode. Or by taking the image and
>> dragging it to the desktop is another way to get it to work.
>

> Not a problem for me but darn Forte Agent just won't work for me in a
> win 7 x64 virtual OS. I've taken down all defenses, stripped some
> processes and still can't get it to work. I am using the trial version
> of version 6, if that matters. Tried to email Forte Agent and about 1
> week later, no reply so I guess that's a joke. Since then I've switched
> to Gravity newsreader and it works okay but I prefer Agent if I can get
> it to work. Google didn't help.

Switch to Thunderbird for a newsreader. I once used Forte's Free Agent,
cheap so-and-so that I am. I finally went to TBird instead. My sense
is that Forte is no longer doing much development on its Agent products.
Thunderbird is decent right now, and continues to evolve.

.... Ben Myers
From: Ben Myers on
On 8/2/2010 5:28 PM, BillW50 wrote:
> In news:i340f9$ohh$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
> Pat Conover typed on Sun, 1 Aug 2010 10:30:59 -0400:
>
>> Chris, Active-x needs my permission to run on all my machines...
>
> At least IE allows you to turn it off. Firefox OTOH uses DCOM to allow
> programs to have full control (just like ActiveX does). Unfortunately
> the developers of Firefox are very shortsighted and doesn't allow for
> you to turn it off. And those who knows this fact, are scared to death
> of Firefox. I personally run it within a sandbox for this reason alone.
> Except under Linux because I know of no sandbox software for Linux. And
> I really wish I had one. Thank goodness for backups. ;-)
>
> And I am glad you like Firefox. Although I have been using Firefox since
> v1.5 and I always disliked it! As there is that DCOM huge security hole,
> but memory leaks, and displaying lots of pages incorrectly just to name
> a few. Although IE7 and IE8 isn't that great either. Although at least
> they do run in their own sandbox by default. Or so I have been told
> anyway. ;-)

Why use Firefox at all, if you do not like it? Intellectual curiousity?

.... Ben Myers