From: Pat Conover on
RnR" <rnrtexas(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <4c55e8a7$0$14506$c3e8da3(a)news.astraweb.com>, Cmplx80
> @Karma.com says...
>>
>> RnR wrote:
>> > In article <4c559852$0$16597$c3e8da3(a)news.astraweb.com>, Cmplx80
>> > @Karma.com says...

>> > Frank, that's funny. I'm using firefox 3.6.8 and I have no problem
>> > saving an image as you described. I just tested it on win 7 x64. I
>> > won't comment on the cookies but as far as addons, I don't have any
>> > problem and they warn you about them before hand. BTW, the addons
>> > aren't authored by FF so to blame them is nonsense.
>>
>> This problem isn't unique to my system. Google it or hit the FF site
>> and witness the frustration. It is indeed a problem. The cookie
>> corruption has been with Firefox for some time. Clearing them out
>> temporarily solves it. The addons/extensions frequently fail because
>> the rate of FF releases to fix security is almost impossible to keep up
>> with. For example, the handy IE Tab. They may not be FF's, but without
>> them FF is an inadequate browser.
>>
>> Frank
>

> My problem with the addons are that they may work for one version of FF
> but not necessarily for the updated FF version. Of course one doesn't
> have to update FF or wait long enough and the addon may be updated to
> work with that FF or the next one. I don't agree that without the addons
> FF is inadequate but I do agree it is better with them.
>
> For the most part, I don't have any problem with FF but some sites are
> not written correctly so they won't work with FF. In those cases I will
> resort to IE or IE based browsers.

I read Frank's post earlier and I just tried the right click save as, no
problems here with a new latest version install yesterday, Pat

From: Christopher Muto on
Pat Conover wrote:
> "Christopher Muto" <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> Pat Conover wrote:
>>> "Pat Conover" <nobody(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

>>> After kicking my own butt last night, while actually rediscovering the
>>> internet with a stable and super fast browser, dare I say that I may also
>>> switch to Thunderbird from Outlook? I just downloaded both to install on
>>> my Dim 9150 and may install on my primary work/production machine, the
>>> old, now with 2GB of memory, 4550 too. Any suggestions or tips for that
>>> upgrade?
>>>
>>> Like IE8, I can't ditch Outlook altogether because I need to sync my
>>> Contacts and Calendar to my Moto Q cell phone. (Chris, that is why I
>>> haven't done an Outlook repair install or reinstall from an earlier post
>>> you helped with. What a PIA to get the M$ Active Sync sw to work with my
>>> usb connected cell.) And if any of you encounter the 1.75GB .pst file
>>> size limitation, post here and I will give you the quick, simple fix.
>>> Unlike the Official bludgeon your pst file to death fix from M$. Banged
>>> my head hard on the wall, after I figured the real fix out!
>>>
>>> Can Thunderbird sync to my Moto Q cell phone? I will research futher,
>>> but am too anxious to just install and let Thunderbird do its thing to
>>> Outlook. I don't think I have been this excited about software, since I
>>> discovered a TSR Memory Manager for my old Sam's Club bleeding edge
>>> Packard Bell 386, running Win 3.1. ;-) Thanks for all the help, Pat
>> if you care to discuss the 2gb limitation of outlook ascii pst files start
>> another thread. there are several solutions on how to repair a maxed out
>> outlook file and also to convert it to a outlook unicode pst file. but you
>> may find it more productive to simply upgrade to a droid and synchronize
>> your contacts and calendar automatically and wirelessly with gmail.
>
> Chris, as suggested I started a new Outlook PST thread. Good stuff for a
> Sunday morning chat. An Outlook unicode pst file sounds promising.
>
> Back to this thread, I was looking at new cell phones, but my Moto Q does
> all I need, and I don't have to get the shove it down your throat $$$$ data
> plan from Verizon. I am an early bag phone Verizon customer and
> Grandfathered with a Smart Phone and no data plan. I was looking at a new
> Blackberry or Droid. But, my friend has a Verizon Droid and he says it is a
> great cell phone, with all kinds of neat features, except for making and
> recieving cell phone calls. Dropped calls, poor or no reception, etc., all
> here in SNJ one of Verizons most overbuilt cellular coverage areas. Reviews
> of Blackberry's and other Smart Phones that do sync with Outlook seem to
> report the same things as my friend. So many features added, they forgot
> what a cell phone is supposed to do!
> Thanks again for the all suggestions and help, Pat

i think that your friend is an exception. the fact that he/she had
problems with two completely different phones suggest that it is likely
the locations used that are the problem. blackberry makes the best
email devices, but they have a horrible browser. the droid is simply
amazing all around but it is google-centric and if you are not a google
fan then having it sync with your google calendar/contacts/etc can make
it undesirable. there is third party outlook sync software not
available for the droid. and of course the iphone is amazing too. the
droid and iphone do so much but if your primary goal is email then the
blackberry are still attractive. the new push on data plans is pretty
distasteful, particularly since these new devices all have wifi which
makes the very versatile.
From: Christopher Muto on
Christopher Muto wrote:
> Pat Conover wrote:
>> "Christopher Muto" <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

>>> if you care to discuss the 2gb limitation of outlook ascii pst files
>>> start another thread. there are several solutions on how to repair a
>>> maxed out outlook file and also to convert it to a outlook unicode
>>> pst file. but you may find it more productive to simply upgrade to a
>>> droid and synchronize your contacts and calendar automatically and
>>> wirelessly with gmail.
>>
>> Chris, as suggested I started a new Outlook PST thread. Good stuff
>> for a Sunday morning chat. An Outlook unicode pst file sounds promising.
>>
>> Back to this thread, I was looking at new cell phones, but my Moto Q
>> does all I need, and I don't have to get the shove it down your throat
>> $$$$ data plan from Verizon. I am an early bag phone Verizon customer
>> and Grandfathered with a Smart Phone and no data plan. I was looking
>> at a new Blackberry or Droid. But, my friend has a Verizon Droid and
>> he says it is a great cell phone, with all kinds of neat features,
>> except for making and recieving cell phone calls. Dropped calls, poor
>> or no reception, etc., all here in SNJ one of Verizons most overbuilt
>> cellular coverage areas. Reviews of Blackberry's and other Smart
>> Phones that do sync with Outlook seem to report the same things as my
>> friend. So many features added, they forgot what a cell phone is
>> supposed to do!
>> Thanks again for the all suggestions and help, Pat
>
> i think that your friend is an exception. the fact that he/she had
> problems with two completely different phones suggest that it is likely
> the locations used that are the problem. blackberry makes the best
> email devices, but they have a horrible browser. the droid is simply
> amazing all around but it is google-centric and if you are not a google
> fan then having it sync with your google calendar/contacts/etc can make
> it undesirable. there is third party outlook sync software not
> available for the droid. and of course the iphone is amazing too. the
> droid and iphone do so much but if your primary goal is email then the
> blackberry are still attractive. the new push on data plans is pretty
> distasteful, particularly since these new devices all have wifi which
> makes the very versatile.

correction: there is third party outlook sync software NOW
available for the droid.

From: BillW50 on
On 8/1/2010 3:34 PM, RnR wrote:
> In article<4c559852$0$16597$c3e8da3(a)news.astraweb.com>, Cmplx80
> @Karma.com says...
>>
>> Pat Conover wrote:
>>> I finally got sick enough of IE8 to try Firefox and all I can say is WOW!
>>> It's like driving a Ferrari compared to a Kia. You folks always recommended
>>> it, but I never knew it was that much faster. I use IE8 because a lot of my
>>> business sites only use it and I thought I was pretty much stuck with it.
>>>
>>> Are there any IE8 plugins or compatibility mode to use? The local MLS site
>>> I use won't load right with FF, so I guess I need to use IE8 for that.
>>>
>>> Thanks, Pat
>>>

>> FF seems to be a little better than IE8, but Mozilla has this incredible
>> knack for screwing up what use to work in older releases. Case in point:
>> Using " 'right click' | save image as " now crashes on every
>> version I've tried since at least 3.6.4--maybe earlier. On Vista, it's
>> a corruption of the downloads sql file in profile. In Windows 7, I have
>> no idea what it is. It's a known (Mozilla) problem. There are also
>> ongoing problems that are fixed by deleting cookies. FF add-ons,
>> extensions can also lead to some very flakey behavior.
>>
>> Frank
>

> Frank, that's funny. I'm using firefox 3.6.8 and I have no problem
> saving an image as you described. I just tested it on win 7 x64. I
> won't comment on the cookies but as far as addons, I don't have any
> problem and they warn you about them before hand. BTW, the addons
> aren't authored by FF so to blame them is nonsense.

A quick search shows that some do have this problem. And some have
linked it to the Google toolbar. And some found they can get image saves
while running Firefox in its safe mode. Or by taking the image and
dragging it to the desktop is another way to get it to work.

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2
From: RnR on
In article <i372m6$9bc$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, BillW50(a)aol.kom
says...

> On 8/1/2010 3:34 PM, RnR wrote:
> > In article<4c559852$0$16597$c3e8da3(a)news.astraweb.com>, Cmplx80
> > @Karma.com says...

> >> FF seems to be a little better than IE8, but Mozilla has this incredible
> >> knack for screwing up what use to work in older releases. Case in point:
> >> Using " 'right click' | save image as " now crashes on every
> >> version I've tried since at least 3.6.4--maybe earlier. On Vista, it's
> >> a corruption of the downloads sql file in profile. In Windows 7, I have
> >> no idea what it is. It's a known (Mozilla) problem. There are also
> >> ongoing problems that are fixed by deleting cookies. FF add-ons,
> >> extensions can also lead to some very flakey behavior.
> >>
> >> Frank
> >

> > Frank, that's funny. I'm using firefox 3.6.8 and I have no problem
> > saving an image as you described. I just tested it on win 7 x64. I
> > won't comment on the cookies but as far as addons, I don't have any
> > problem and they warn you about them before hand. BTW, the addons
> > aren't authored by FF so to blame them is nonsense.
>
> A quick search shows that some do have this problem. And some have
> linked it to the Google toolbar. And some found they can get image saves
> while running Firefox in its safe mode. Or by taking the image and
> dragging it to the desktop is another way to get it to work.

Not a problem for me but darn Forte Agent just won't work for me in a
win 7 x64 virtual OS. I've taken down all defenses, stripped some
processes and still can't get it to work. I am using the trial version
of version 6, if that matters. Tried to email Forte Agent and about 1
week later, no reply so I guess that's a joke. Since then I've switched
to Gravity newsreader and it works okay but I prefer Agent if I can get
it to work. Google didn't help.