From: John on
Ken Blake wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 23:34:12 -0500, John <jhy001(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> David Arnstein wrote:
>>> Intuit has all but destroyed the Quicken product line, so many of us
>>> will be forced to follow your path. Please post your experience with
>>> Moneydance, I would like to know what you think.
>> I just downloaded and printed an 83 page manual. (I like to study
>> printed vs. online manuals). But I did google and read a lot of
>> positive testimonials. A lot of its users have abandoned Quicken
>> and are ecstatic about it!
>

> I've been away on vacation. Having just come back, the is the first
> I've heard about Moneydance. May I ask you (and anyone else here with
> an opinion) to tell me exactly what about Moneydance is preferable to
> Quicken? I'd also like to hear about any disadvantages of Moneydance,
> if there are any. I'm willing to abandon Quicken in favor of
> Moneydance if it makes sense for me to do so, but I'd like to know
> more about why I should (or shouldn't).
>
> Also my bank is Bank of America. Can you tell me if Moneydance
> supports it with respect to transaction downloading as well as having
> them make payments?
>
> Thanks in advance.

My decision to drop Quicken (for the second time; I came back when I
couldn't find a decent competitor on Mac; and figured out workarounds
for two dogging problems) came when I read

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2010/tc2010018_451437.htm

which was posted recently in the thread here: Intuit Abandoning Quicken.
They want to phase out the desktop software by five years, so you can
guess what support they will be putting into it vs. an online program
that they have acquired, not even their own online program. Kinda speaks
to the quality of their stuff to me. And I'm less than impressed with
the current quality.

A quick study of Moneydance, which has a native version for Windoze,
Mac, and linux (as any good software company should), and very good
testimonials, is enough for me to buy it and try it out. And not
spend any more money with Quicken whose future on the desktop is
announced to be coming to an end. Why not move on to something that
wants to compete in the future?
From: John on
John wrote:
> A quick study of Moneydance, which has a native version for Windoze,
> Mac, and linux (as any good software company should),

And I meant to say that the functionality on the three platforms
is the same for Moneydance, unlike Quicken where the Mac version
lags behind by 3 years (more?) and generally has bugs or missing
features.
From: Ken Blake on
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 11:37:18 -0500, John <jhy001(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

> Ken Blake wrote:

> >> I just downloaded and printed an 83 page manual. (I like to study
> >> printed vs. online manuals). But I did google and read a lot of
> >> positive testimonials. A lot of its users have abandoned Quicken
> >> and are ecstatic about it!
> >

> > I've been away on vacation. Having just come back, the is the first
> > I've heard about Moneydance. May I ask you (and anyone else here with
> > an opinion) to tell me exactly what about Moneydance is preferable to
> > Quicken? I'd also like to hear about any disadvantages of Moneydance,
> > if there are any. I'm willing to abandon Quicken in favor of
> > Moneydance if it makes sense for me to do so, but I'd like to know
> > more about why I should (or shouldn't).
> >
> > Also my bank is Bank of America. Can you tell me if Moneydance
> > supports it with respect to transaction downloading as well as having
> > them make payments?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >

> My decision to drop Quicken (for the second time; I came back when I
> couldn't find a decent competitor on Mac; and figured out workarounds
> for two dogging problems) came when I read
>
> http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2010/tc2010018_451437.htm

Thanks. That's helpful, but doesn't me anything about the differences
in features between Quicken and Moneydance, and whether Moneydance
supports my bank, which are what I'm most interested in.

> which was posted recently in the thread here: Intuit Abandoning Quicken.
> They want to phase out the desktop software by five years, so you can
> guess what support they will be putting into it vs. an online program
> that they have acquired, not even their own online program. Kinda speaks
> to the quality of their stuff to me. And I'm less than impressed with
> the current quality.
>
> A quick study of Moneydance, which has a native version for Windoze,
> Mac, and linux (as any good software company should), and very good
> testimonials, is enough for me to buy it and try it out. And not
> spend any more money with Quicken whose future on the desktop is
> announced to be coming to an end. Why not move on to something that
> wants to compete in the future?

Well, Moneydance is an entirely new name to me. Their wanting to
compete is fine, but I know nothing about what their ability to
compete may be.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: John on
Ken Blake wrote:
> Thanks. That's helpful, but doesn't me anything about the differences
> in features between Quicken and Moneydance, and whether Moneydance
> supports my bank, which are what I'm most interested in.
>

> Well, Moneydance is an entirely new name to me. Their wanting to
> compete is fine, but I know nothing about what their ability to
> compete may be.

I understand where you are coming from. But, I find that Google searches
are a great way to find out about products to test drive. All I can say
is I'm so far impressed by what I've seen on line about Moneydance, but,
indeed, I haven't yet test driven it yet. But I've read comments from
a dozen or more people who have, and like it. But for the competing
side, try Google searches of: "moneydance sucks" and "quicken sucks".
Always fun to read! But judge carefully what you read. (even in this
group ;-) ).
From: Bob Wang on
Ken:
I do most of my banking with Alliant Credit Union.
Alliant doesn't support Moneydance, so that's a deal breaker for me.
Bob