From: John Pollard on
tmp wrote:
> John Pollard wrote:
>> Bert Hyman wrote:
>>> In

>>> The ability to download quotes and transactions ends three years
>>> after a version is released. I assume they'll continue that policy.
>>
>> Even if your assumption is correct - and I don't believe in user's
>> assumptions about the future of Quicken - your comment doesn't
>> address the fundamental issue (which user "Mr Jan" posted): there
>> will be nothing stopping you from using Quicken, just as there is
>> nothing stopping Money users from using Money (even though Money is
>> out of business) ... some of whom, are going to do just that.
>>
>> [Yes, Money users will have a known benefit (continued downloading
>> of OFX data) - assuming Intuit were to continue their current policy
>> of not allowing the import of "OFX" files. But Intuit could change
>> that policy (as Microsoft has changed some of their policies about
>> Money, specifically due to Microsoft no longer supportting it) ...
>> or folks could realize what a significant benefit Quicken provides
>> to address the most important issue - what I have always thought was
>> the reason to use Quicken - all your financial information in one
>> place, easy to see, easy to understand ... regardless of how the
>> data gets into Quicken.]
>>
>> Downloading has always been a big benefit to me ... but I would not
>> use any other product I know of, *just* because I could no longer
>> download to Quicken. Such other product would have to provide major
>> benefits over what something like Mint provides. Given the time
>> Mint has had to demonstrate those greater benefits, I suspect it
>> unlikely I'll ever see such a product - even if it is owned by
>> Intuit.
>>

> Responding primarily to your last paragraph above:
>
> True, but until now (before the Intuit acquisition of Mint), it was
> never really Mint's goal to become "another Quicken", and match it
> feature for feature. The focus was on offering a much simpler, if much
> less comprehensive, means of tracking your finances.
>
> Now with the merger, that may change. To me, this quote from the
> Business Week article is encouraging:
>
> "Within about two years, the company plans to combine the software
> code of Mint.com and Quicken into a product that would let users
> readily switch between desktop and online modes."
>
> A product that combines the best features of Mint and Quicken, while
> retaining a "desktop" mode, would be something to look forward to
> rather than dread.

I saw that quote before, and I too liked the sound of it.

I have no dread of an online version of Quicken. I have worked with both
the current "Quicken Online" and Mint - my concern isn't about whether one
more online site has my user-id and password ... I just just find neither
comes close to Quicken desktop product. Worse (for me): both sites seem
intent on appealing to those who think they can manage their financial
affairs on a cell phone.

If Mint and desktop Quicken can be made to work together, with no
degradation of the desktop product, I'll likely support that. I just
don't want to see the cell phone mentality take over desktop Quicken, or
drive it out of business.

--

John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

From: Andrew on
John Pollard wrote:
> ...my concern isn't about whether one more online site has my user-id and
> password ...

The problem, in my mind, isn't security (I already download all my stuff
today so they have that stuff already; it's the AVAILABILITY of my data at
the time I want it. I don't know if you were affected, but a couple of
years ago Intuit, in their wonderful wisdom, tried to put a access product
into Turbo Tax that SOMETIMES worked; many times didn't. It would "call
home' to ensure you had a legit copy of Turbotax. More than once I couldn't
get at my data because the product malfunctioned and I had to call tech
support for a go-around. This lasted only one year.

Point is that data that is off your computer and out of your control can't
be counted on to be available to you when you need it.

Regards -

- Andrew

From: Han on
"Andrew" <andrew(a)jkl.com> wrote in

> Point is that data that is off your computer and out of your control
> can't be counted on to be available to you when you need it.

That is also my concern. However, it must be said that people are quite
capable of losing their own data all by themselves using only their
computer. While instant availability is a most definite concern, an online
system should hav backups that are better then the average Joe's. In spite
of the recent cell-phone (temporary?) data disappearance of one of the
major companies.

--
Best regards
Han
From: John Pollard on
Andrew wrote:
> John Pollard wrote:
>> ...my concern isn't about whether one more online site has my
>> user-id and password ...
>
> The problem, in my mind, isn't security (I already download all my
> stuff today so they have that stuff already; it's the AVAILABILITY of
> my data at the time I want it. I don't know if you were affected,
> but a couple of years ago Intuit, in their wonderful wisdom, tried to
> put a access product into Turbo Tax that SOMETIMES worked; many times
> didn't. It would "call home' to ensure you had a legit copy of
> Turbotax. More than once I couldn't get at my data because the
> product malfunctioned and I had to call tech support for a go-around.
> This lasted only one year.
> Point is that data that is off your computer and out of your control
> can't be counted on to be available to you when you need it.

Sorry, but that doesn't address what I said. You took my comment out of
context. I can't imagine how I could have made it clearer that I was not
interested in an online application that tried to *replace* the Quicken
desktop application.

From: Andrew on
John Pollard wrote:
> Andrew wrote:
>> John Pollard wrote:
>>> ...my concern isn't about whether one more online site has my
>>> user-id and password ...
>>
>> The problem, in my mind, isn't security (I already download all my
>> stuff today so they have that stuff already; it's the AVAILABILITY of
>> my data at the time I want it. I don't know if you were affected,
>> but a couple of years ago Intuit, in their wonderful wisdom, tried to
>> put a access product into Turbo Tax that SOMETIMES worked; many times
>> didn't. It would "call home' to ensure you had a legit copy of
>> Turbotax. More than once I couldn't get at my data because the
>> product malfunctioned and I had to call tech support for a go-around.
>> This lasted only one year.
>> Point is that data that is off your computer and out of your control
>> can't be counted on to be available to you when you need it.
>
> Sorry, but that doesn't address what I said. You took my comment out
> of context. I can't imagine how I could have made it clearer that I
> was not interested in an online application that tried to *replace*
> the Quicken desktop application.

And I agree. I wasn't trying to address what you said to the general point
other than give the reason why I don't want to give up a desktop product, be
it the application or the data behind it. It's MY availability of both the
app and the data behind it. And I do acknowledge that Han has a point in
another post in this thread that " an online system should hav backups that
are better then the average Joe's. " But in my case with my daily
automated backups to a physical, external, harddrive, that isn't my personal
concern. Hopefully, I won't have TWO sets of failures simultaneously. (Of
course, a flood, roof collapse, or power serge could conceivably knock out
both storage devices ... but that's another topic for discussion.)

Regards -

- Andrew