From: Ken Blake on
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 11:05:16 -0500, bjn <elvis(a)example.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 10:03:21 -0700, Ken Blake
> <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

> >> My decision to drop Quicken (for the second time; I came back when I
> >> couldn't find a decent competitor on Mac; and figured out workarounds
> >> for two dogging problems) came when I read
> >>
> >> http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2010/tc2010018_451437.htm
> >

> >Thanks. That's helpful, but doesn't me anything about the differences
> >in features between Quicken and Moneydance, and whether Moneydance
> >supports my bank, which are what I'm most interested in.
> >

> >> which was posted recently in the thread here: Intuit Abandoning Quicken.
> >> They want to phase out the desktop software by five years, so you can
> >> guess what support they will be putting into it vs. an online program
> >> that they have acquired, not even their own online program. Kinda speaks
> >> to the quality of their stuff to me. And I'm less than impressed with
> >> the current quality.
> >>
> >> A quick study of Moneydance, which has a native version for Windoze,
> >> Mac, and linux (as any good software company should), and very good
> >> testimonials, is enough for me to buy it and try it out. And not
> >> spend any more money with Quicken whose future on the desktop is
> >> announced to be coming to an end. Why not move on to something that
> >> wants to compete in the future?
> >

> >Well, Moneydance is an entirely new name to me. Their wanting to
> >compete is fine, but I know nothing about what their ability to
> >compete may be.
>
> Download the free trial version of Moneydance and see for yourself how well
> it fits your needs.

That of course has always been an option. However because it
represents a sizable investment of time and trouble, I was interested
in hearing about other people's experiences before I did that (or
instead of doing it). And based on the information I've gotten in
response to my question, I will refrain from doing so, since it
clearly will not meet my needs.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Just me on
On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 17:44:57 -0500, "J Anthony Clapham"
<jacl(a)operamail.com> wrote:

>Yes, I am moving to Moneydance finally, after what must be almost 20 years
>(the original DOS version) ... I tried MD 3 years ago (the last time we were
>obliged to buy a new Q version) and it didn't work out so I bit the bullet
>and bought Q2007.
>Nothing changed in terms of functionality, I was just able to continue to
>download.
>My issue is the corporate arrogance of these people to announce they will
>'sunset' something we paid for, this smacks of Microsoftism, another of my
>issues.
>I have spent quite some time setting up Moneydance and finally I'm getting
>there, no major issues and downloads are working fine .. so far I have not
>bought it.

This lead off headline on the Moneydance home page made me chuckle:

"Moneydance� 2010 - The Most Intuitive Personal Finance Application"

George
gearlnospamno(a)nospamcomcast.net
From: Mr.Jan on
I will take a look at Money Dance but so far, the products out there
just don't compare to Quicken. I don't think anybody said you can't
use the Quicken software after they sunset it but they are not
supporting it. I work in the IT industry and this goes on all the
time. Companies can't afford to support software indefinitely and it
just gets too complicated to try. You end up choosing between lousy
support and no support. For all the bad press I am reading here about
the decision to buy MINT, I can see why they don't want to supply
lousy support. LOL

Anyway, I think the Quicken product is still the best for individual
users. I pay $5 month now because I buy a new version every year. If
they put it to subscription, they can probably charge half that and
cut out the retail distributor. As they say, "The workman is worthy of
his hire". That means you should pay for the value you receive. I
figure $60 every 3 years is pretty cheap for the contacts with the
banks and other things they do. I can practically get it for free if I
buy Turbo Tax each year.

Not arrogance, just a standard and necessary business model.
From: Bert Hyman on
In
"Mr.Jan" <jan.hertzsch(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think anybody said you can't use the Quicken software after
> they sunset it but they are not supporting it.

The ability to download quotes and transactions ends three years after a
version is released. I assume they'll continue that policy.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert(a)iphouse.com
From: speedlever on
OTOH, if they discontinue the product, then the banks don't have to pay up
to change to the new protocols so maybe the last version will continue to
d/l indefinitely. Or does it not work like that?

Bert Hyman <bert(a)iphouse.com> wrote in news:Xns9D0AF2545A064VeebleFetzer@
216.250.188.140: