From: Route101� on
"Ken Blake" <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 16:29:48 -0700, XS11E <xs11eNO(a)SPAMyahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Ken Blake <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:
>>
>> > So I was hoping to get some specific info here.
>>
>> Specific info: MoneyDance failed miserable to import my Quicken data.
>> If you have a simple checking account, maybe it would work but many
>> have multiple accounts going back for years, you can enter each line by
>> hand faster than the years it would take to straighten out the mess
>> MoneyDance or Gnucash makes out of your data.
>

> Thanks very much. That's sufficient to talk me out of it.
>

>> I've been looking for several years for an alternative to Quicken and
>> have not found anything that even begins to come close, sorry.
>>

>> --
>> XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
>> The Usenet Improvement Project:
>> http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/
>
> --
> Ken Blake
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Quicken desktop may sunset in 5 years. MoneyDance currently does not meet
the needs of some Quicken users. That give the makers of MoneyDance a few
years to further develop their software to make it more functional to
Quicken users, perhaps even import Quicken files. It's difficult to predict
what software and features will develop in the next 4-5 years. So rather
than make a decision based on current capabilities, I'll stick with Quicken
for now and watch to see what develops.

From: XS11E on
"Route101�" <askme(a)for.it> wrote:

> Quicken desktop may sunset in 5 years. MoneyDance currently does
> not meet the needs of some Quicken users. That give the makers of
> MoneyDance a few years to further develop their software to make
> it more functional to Quicken users, perhaps even import Quicken
> files. It's difficult to predict what software and features will
> develop in the next 4-5 years. So rather than make a decision
> based on current capabilities, I'll stick with Quicken for now and
> watch to see what develops.

I agree completely. The most important part of your post IMHO is the
word "may" in the first line above.

I can't believe anyone would dump a working program (I know some have
problems with Q but I have very few) on the basis of a rumor.

I'll wait ans see, at my age it's impossible to predict what my needs
will be in 5 years, I may not even be here (although I plan to live
another 75 years just to aggravate my kids! <G>)

The Usenet Improvement Project:
From: John Carter on
XS11E <xs11eNO(a)SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in

> "Route101�" <askme(a)for.it> wrote:
>
>> Quicken desktop may sunset in 5 years. MoneyDance currently does
>> not meet the needs of some Quicken users. That give the makers of
>> MoneyDance a few years to further develop their software to make
>> it more functional to Quicken users, perhaps even import Quicken
>> files. It's difficult to predict what software and features will
>> develop in the next 4-5 years. So rather than make a decision
>> based on current capabilities, I'll stick with Quicken for now
>> and watch to see what develops.
>
> I agree completely. The most important part of your post IMHO is
> the word "may" in the first line above.
>
> I can't believe anyone would dump a working program (I know some
> have problems with Q but I have very few) on the basis of a rumor.
>
> I'll wait ans see, at my age it's impossible to predict what my
> needs will be in 5 years, I may not even be here (although I plan
> to live another 75 years just to aggravate my kids! <G>)

I am reading all these posts about "rumors" and "you talked me out of
it" and it's hard for me to follow the logic of listening to others
and
letting others make my decision for me, except that these people
don't want to make any investment of time or money or to decide what
is best for themselves.

(ON TO SOAP BOX)
People, whether you want to believe it or not, there is a serious
problem for people who depend on Quicken. First, there is a self-
proclaimed "saviour" who thinks he knows all and can see all in the
future just because he hit a home run in a niche market and is not
concerned with balancing the last penny of an account. Maybe Intuit
bought nim out hust to shut down his product and give him enough rope
to hang himself - I don't know. I retired from the computer industry
(42 years) and believe you me, I've seen this before and some
companies have, after cutting the rope down, burying the body,
recognized their mistake in time to recover, Others have just plain
died with the hung corpse. Those survivors did so by benefitting
from wise customers who did their "homework", and by seeing trends in
these long-time customers, or simply by being told by these customers
that there was an alternative to their product and that it was their
choice - die or dance with those who brung ya.

By all of us doing our homework now, we can be around after the
hangin'. So make your investment. I for one really don't want to
work "in the cloud" or on paper when Quicken dies. I'm going to give
Moneydance a try and provide feedback to Moneydance to get features
that may not be there. In any case if Quicken doesn't die, an
alternative will keep Intuit honest.

Just my $.02 worth.
(OFF SOAP BOX)

Had to post without doing proper editing so sorry for rambling - hope
you get my point.
From: XS11E on
John Carter <me(a)mymailsvr.org> wrote:

> I am reading all these posts about "rumors" and "you talked me out
> of it" and it's hard for me to follow the logic of listening to
> others and letting others make my decision for me,

Why would you think that?

I've made my own decision on my own, I KNOW MoneyDance, GnuCash, etc.
will NOT work for me.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
From: tmp on
John Pollard wrote:
> Bert Hyman wrote:
>> In
>
>> "Mr.Jan" <jan.hertzsch(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think anybody said you can't use the Quicken software after
>>> they sunset it but they are not supporting it.
>
>> The ability to download quotes and transactions ends three years
>> after a version is released. I assume they'll continue that policy.
>
> Even if your assumption is correct - and I don't believe in user's
> assumptions about the future of Quicken - your comment doesn't address the
> fundamental issue (which user "Mr Jan" posted): there will be nothing
> stopping you from using Quicken, just as there is nothing stopping Money
> users from using Money (even though Money is out of business) ... some of
> whom, are going to do just that.
>
> [Yes, Money users will have a known benefit (continued downloading of OFX
> data) - assuming Intuit were to continue their current policy of not
> allowing the import of "OFX" files. But Intuit could change that policy
> (as Microsoft has changed some of their policies about Money, specifically
> due to Microsoft no longer supportting it) ... or folks could realize what
> a significant benefit Quicken provides to address the most important
> issue - what I have always thought was the reason to use Quicken - all
> your financial information in one place, easy to see, easy to understand
> ... regardless of how the data gets into Quicken.]
>
> Downloading has always been a big benefit to me ... but I would not use
> any other product I know of, *just* because I could no longer download to
> Quicken. Such other product would have to provide major benefits over
> what something like Mint provides. Given the time Mint has had to
> demonstrate those greater benefits, I suspect it unlikely I'll ever see
> such a product - even if it is owned by Intuit.

Responding primarily to your last paragraph above:

True, but until now (before the Intuit acquisition of Mint), it was
never really Mint's goal to become "another Quicken", and match it
feature for feature. The focus was on offering a much simpler, if much
less comprehensive, means of tracking your finances.

Now with the merger, that may change. To me, this quote from the
Business Week article is encouraging:

"Within about two years, the company plans to combine the software code
of Mint.com and Quicken into a product that would let users readily
switch between desktop and online modes."

A product that combines the best features of Mint and Quicken, while
retaining a "desktop" mode, would be something to look forward to rather
than dread.