From: John Pollard on
Bert Hyman wrote:
> In

> "Mr.Jan" <jan.hertzsch(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't think anybody said you can't use the Quicken software after
>> they sunset it but they are not supporting it.

> The ability to download quotes and transactions ends three years
> after a version is released. I assume they'll continue that policy.

Even if your assumption is correct - and I don't believe in user's
assumptions about the future of Quicken - your comment doesn't address the
fundamental issue (which user "Mr Jan" posted): there will be nothing
stopping you from using Quicken, just as there is nothing stopping Money
users from using Money (even though Money is out of business) ... some of
whom, are going to do just that.

[Yes, Money users will have a known benefit (continued downloading of OFX
data) - assuming Intuit were to continue their current policy of not
allowing the import of "OFX" files. But Intuit could change that policy
(as Microsoft has changed some of their policies about Money, specifically
due to Microsoft no longer supportting it) ... or folks could realize what
a significant benefit Quicken provides to address the most important
issue - what I have always thought was the reason to use Quicken - all
your financial information in one place, easy to see, easy to understand
.... regardless of how the data gets into Quicken.]

Downloading has always been a big benefit to me ... but I would not use
any other product I know of, *just* because I could no longer download to
Quicken. Such other product would have to provide major benefits over
what something like Mint provides. Given the time Mint has had to
demonstrate those greater benefits, I suspect it unlikely I'll ever see
such a product - even if it is owned by Intuit.

--

John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

From: Paul Anderson on
In article <2ieml55toi50q7ohep8i9if7u4saq3ktn1(a)4ax.com>,
Ken Blake <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

> Thanks. That would be a deal breaker for me too. That's why I asked
> specifically about Moneydance and Bank of America--to find out
> whether that combo is supported.

From the Moneydance page at <http://moneydance.com/fi>:

Supported Financial Institutions

Moneydance 2010 can connect to the following financial institutions
using the OFX (Open Financial Exchange) online banking protocol.
Please note that different financial institutions support different
levels of service. Some support online bill payment and others simply
provide the ability to download transactions.

...snip
* Bank of America (California)
* Bank of America (All Other States except WA and ID)
* Bank of America (Formerly Fleet)
...snip

Paul
From: Robert Neville on
speedlever <speedlever(a)NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>OTOH, if they discontinue the product, then the banks don't have to pay up
>to change to the new protocols so maybe the last version will continue to
>d/l indefinitely. Or does it not work like that?

No, it doesn't work like that. The protocols don't change every three years, the
financial institutions buy the right to use the software for a defined length of
time. Even if the software is frozen, the license fees continue. Since Intuit is
unlikely to walk away from that revenue, it's almost certain there will be
provisions for using Quicken beyond the development freeze date.
From: Ken Blake on
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 20:58:57 -0500, Paul Anderson
<paulranderson(a)charter.net> wrote:

> In article <2ieml55toi50q7ohep8i9if7u4saq3ktn1(a)4ax.com>,
> Ken Blake <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:
>
> > Thanks. That would be a deal breaker for me too. That's why I asked
> > specifically about Moneydance and Bank of America--to find out
> > whether that combo is supported.
>
> From the Moneydance page at <http://moneydance.com/fi>:
>
> Supported Financial Institutions
>
> Moneydance 2010 can connect to the following financial institutions
> using the OFX (Open Financial Exchange) online banking protocol.
> Please note that different financial institutions support different
> levels of service. Some support online bill payment and others simply
> provide the ability to download transactions.
>
> ...snip
> * Bank of America (California)
> * Bank of America (All Other States except WA and ID)
> * Bank of America (Formerly Fleet)
> ...snip

Thanks. That's helpful. I wonder about that last sentence though. With
a particular bank, is it likely to be any different with MoneyDance
than with Quicken?

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: speedlever on
Thanks for clearing that up Robert.

Robert Neville <dont(a)bother.com> wrote in