From: Marv on
Andrew wrote:
> John Pollard wrote:
>> Andrew wrote:
>>> The problem, in my mind, isn't security (I already download all my
>>> stuff today so they have that stuff already; it's the AVAILABILITY of
>>> my data at the time I want it. I don't know if you were affected,
>>> but a couple of years ago Intuit, in their wonderful wisdom, tried to
>>> put a access product into Turbo Tax that SOMETIMES worked; many times
>>> didn't. It would "call home' to ensure you had a legit copy of
>>> Turbotax. More than once I couldn't get at my data because the
>>> product malfunctioned and I had to call tech support for a go-around.
>>> This lasted only one year.
>>> Point is that data that is off your computer and out of your control
>>> can't be counted on to be available to you when you need it.
>> Sorry, but that doesn't address what I said. You took my comment out
>> of context. I can't imagine how I could have made it clearer that I
>> was not interested in an online application that tried to *replace*
>> the Quicken desktop application.
>
> And I agree. I wasn't trying to address what you said to the general point
> other than give the reason why I don't want to give up a desktop product, be
> it the application or the data behind it. It's MY availability of both the
> app and the data behind it. And I do acknowledge that Han has a point in
> another post in this thread that " an online system should hav backups that
> are better then the average Joe's. " But in my case with my daily
> automated backups to a physical, external, harddrive, that isn't my personal
> concern. Hopefully, I won't have TWO sets of failures simultaneously. (Of
> course, a flood, roof collapse, or power serge could conceivably knock out
> both storage devices ... but that's another topic for discussion.)

Back up using Gmail. Zip files and split if needed.
Change name and extension so it is not identifiable.
I have done this for years once or twice a week.

From: Andrew on
Marv wrote:
> Andrew wrote:
>> But in my case with my daily automated backups
>> to a physical, external, harddrive, that isn't my personal concern.
>> Hopefully, I won't have TWO sets of failures simultaneously. (Of
>> course, a flood, roof collapse, or power serge could conceivably
>> knock out both storage devices ... but that's another topic for
>> discussion.)
> Back up using Gmail. Zip files and split if needed.
> Change name and extension so it is not identifiable.
> I have done this for years once or twice a week.
>
> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news(a)netfront.net ---

Not to hijack this thread to become a discussion about backup philosophy,
but......

Every once in a while (I should be more diligent) I do cut a CD with my
files on it and store in the safe deposit box. I often have thought of also
PRINTING a copy of several of my key Quicken account registers (notably,
checking) and saving the hardcopy PAPER (!) there as well. I believe paper
to be the only storage medium that stands a chance of being useable in 20
years (!), assuming you can read it by then. But haven't done that yet.

I used to keep my Q for DOS files around on 3.5" drives and a 100meg zip
disk at various points; can't read those in my house anymore.

Regards -

- Andrew