From: Ken Blake on
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 12:16:49 -0500, John <jhy001(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

> Ken Blake wrote:
> > Thanks. That's helpful, but doesn't me anything about the differences
> > in features between Quicken and Moneydance, and whether Moneydance
> > supports my bank, which are what I'm most interested in.
> >

> > Well, Moneydance is an entirely new name to me. Their wanting to
> > compete is fine, but I know nothing about what their ability to
> > compete may be.
>
> I understand where you are coming from. But, I find that Google searches
> are a great way to find out about products to test drive. All I can say
> is I'm so far impressed by what I've seen on line about Moneydance, but,
> indeed, I haven't yet test driven it yet. But I've read comments from
> a dozen or more people who have, and like it. But for the competing
> side, try Google searches of: "moneydance sucks" and "quicken sucks".
> Always fun to read! But judge carefully what you read. (even in this
> group ;-) ).

Thanks. The problem with posts entitled "XXXXX Sucks" is that they
usually express opinions, and say little if anything in the way of
specific facts. So I was hoping to get some specific info here.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Ken Blake on
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 10:36:57 -0700, "Bob Wang" <BobWangBlog(a)Gmail.com>
wrote:

> Ken:
> I do most of my banking with Alliant Credit Union.
> Alliant doesn't support Moneydance, so that's a deal breaker for me.

Thanks. That would be a deal breaker for me too. That's why I asked
specifically about Moneydance and Bank of America--to find out whether
that combo is supported.

From: diogenes on
On 1/23/2010 11:07 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
> I've been away on vacation. Having just come back, the is the first
> I've heard about Moneydance. May I ask you (and anyone else here with
> an opinion) to tell me exactly what about Moneydance is preferable to
> Quicken? I'd also like to hear about any disadvantages of Moneydance,
> if there are any. I'm willing to abandon Quicken in favor of
> Moneydance if it makes sense for me to do so, but I'd like to know
> more about why I should (or shouldn't).

Personally I will stick with Quicken 2008 until I can't DL from my
banks. My Beef with the newer releases is they require Microsoft Dot Net
to be installed. This is a resource hogging virtual machine. I have
locked into WinXP as my operating system and until something new comes
along that I can't do with my machine I am staying with it. If I upgrade
it will bbe to a flavor of Linux / Unix / whatever. Moneydance runs on
Java which is fine with me. It is only memory resident when you run an
application that requires it.
From: XS11E on
Ken Blake <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

> So I was hoping to get some specific info here.

Specific info: MoneyDance failed miserable to import my Quicken data.
If you have a simple checking account, maybe it would work but many
have multiple accounts going back for years, you can enter each line by
hand faster than the years it would take to straighten out the mess
MoneyDance or Gnucash makes out of your data.

I've been looking for several years for an alternative to Quicken and
have not found anything that even begins to come close, sorry.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
From: Ken Blake on
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 16:29:48 -0700, XS11E <xs11eNO(a)SPAMyahoo.com>
wrote:

> Ken Blake <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:
>
> > So I was hoping to get some specific info here.
>
> Specific info: MoneyDance failed miserable to import my Quicken data.
> If you have a simple checking account, maybe it would work but many
> have multiple accounts going back for years, you can enter each line by
> hand faster than the years it would take to straighten out the mess
> MoneyDance or Gnucash makes out of your data.

Thanks very much. That's sufficient to talk me out of it.