From: tony cooper on
On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 19:30:46 GMT, Winniethepooh(a)100acrewoods.org
(GMAN) wrote:

>>Hello, in my country Easter is almost a national holiday, because
>>Catholicism is part of the culture of my country. When I can, I try to take
>>photos in old temple in the historic center of Lima, but now I had thought
>>of moving to another matter.
>>

>Its a part of the culture of your country due to the fact that centuries ago,
>your beloved catholic church threatened and did burn or kill thousands upon
>thousands of people who refused to be forced to convert.

Much like, say, the Roundheads? The Crusaders? The Nazis? The
followers of Cotton Mather?

What is your culture, and is it free of historical actions of a
similar nature?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Savageduck on
On 2010-04-06 13:16:34 -0700, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> said:

> On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 19:30:46 GMT, Winniethepooh(a)100acrewoods.org
> (GMAN) wrote:
>
>>> Hello, in my country Easter is almost a national holiday, because
>>> Catholicism is part of the culture of my country. When I can, I try to take
>>> photos in old temple in the historic center of Lima, but now I had thought
>>> of moving to another matter.
>>>

>> Its a part of the culture of your country due to the fact that centuries ago,
>> your beloved catholic church threatened and did burn or kill thousands upon
>> thousands of people who refused to be forced to convert.
>
> Much like, say, the Roundheads? The Crusaders? The Nazis? The
> followers of Cotton Mather?
>
> What is your culture, and is it free of historical actions of a
> similar nature?

....and it is what happened to Native American children once the
reservation system, and the BIA with the Bureau of Indian Education in
the US were established.

They did their best to take the "Indian" out of those children by
moving them into boarding schools, forbidding them to speak their
native languages, or follow their tribal religions.
I guess the idea was to "civilize" them through "Christian" & "White"
indoctrination.

I believe there was a similar history in Canada.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: George Kerby on

On 4/6/10 6:10 PM, in article
2010040616104057944-savageduck1(a)REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

> On 2010-04-06 13:16:34 -0700, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> said:

>>> Its a part of the culture of your country due to the fact that centuries
>>> ago,
>>> your beloved catholic church threatened and did burn or kill thousands upon
>>> thousands of people who refused to be forced to convert.
>>
>> Much like, say, the Roundheads? The Crusaders? The Nazis? The
>> followers of Cotton Mather?
>>
>> What is your culture, and is it free of historical actions of a
>> similar nature?
>
> ...and it is what happened to Native American children once the
>
> reservation system, and the BIA with the Bureau of Indian Education in
> the US were established.
>
> They did their best to take the "Indian" out of those children by
> moving them into boarding schools, forbidding them to speak their
> native languages, or follow their tribal religions.
> I guess the idea was to "civilize" them through "Christian" & "White"
> indoctrination.
>
> I believe there was a similar history in Canada.

Check!

From: J. Clarke on
On 4/6/2010 4:16 PM, tony cooper wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 19:30:46 GMT, Winniethepooh(a)100acrewoods.org
> (GMAN) wrote:
>
>>> Hello, in my country Easter is almost a national holiday, because
>>> Catholicism is part of the culture of my country. When I can, I try to take
>>> photos in old temple in the historic center of Lima, but now I had thought
>>> of moving to another matter.
>>>

>> Its a part of the culture of your country due to the fact that centuries ago,
>> your beloved catholic church threatened and did burn or kill thousands upon
>> thousands of people who refused to be forced to convert.
>
> Much like, say, the Roundheads? The Crusaders? The Nazis? The
> followers of Cotton Mather?
>
> What is your culture, and is it free of historical actions of a
> similar nature?

I want to know who these "thousands upon thousands of people who refused
to be forced to convert".

From: Savageduck on
On 2010-04-06 20:08:15 -0700, "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> said:

> On 4/6/2010 4:16 PM, tony cooper wrote:

>>> Its a part of the culture of your country due to the fact that centuries ago,
>>> your beloved catholic church threatened and did burn or kill thousands upon
>>> thousands of people who refused to be forced to convert.
>>
>> Much like, say, the Roundheads? The Crusaders? The Nazis? The
>> followers of Cotton Mather?
>>
>> What is your culture, and is it free of historical actions of a
>> similar nature?
>
> I want to know who these "thousands upon thousands of people who
> refused to be forced to convert".

Time for a little history.

I would start with the Eighty Years War with the Dutch vs. The Spanish
& The Habsburgs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighty_Years%27_War

Moving on to the European Wars of Religion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_wars_of_religion

Then try the Huguenots and their little dispute with the Catholic French.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huguenot

....and what was that other thing? Oh yes! The Inquisition.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inquisition

--
Regards,

Savageduck