From: richard.townsendrose on
Erik

the fact is that there are still a lot of CLIPPER applications out
there running well ... for example one of the largest chains of pubs
in uk uses a clipper app to run all their tills - multi user in each
pub ... nt4 server ... yes its MY local in cathcart http://www.theoldsmiddycathcart.co.uk/
but NOT our staff or pub in the photos ...

and hotel booking systems ... another big chains strill users a
clipper app ... if you dont want a "SLOW" windows termional but a fast
"DOS" one, then why not use a clipper app ?

fact is that VO has stabilised much as Clipper has. sure we are now
moving to an environment whwere we have web based processing - but it
is relatively slow, but thats ok for a banking access app... but I
cannot see EVER that a bank's back office system will go to web based
- just too slow ... when there are now 1Gb lans running ... whereas
classic internet connection is just 0.1mb (thast BYTES not bits
remember)

so yes i am happy with grafx ... but vulcvan still has a long way to
go. all of us want the highly productive repository that comes with
VO ... it was so much better than Clipper despite several attempts

so yes, we have a great and long future with VO... and how many users
of it ... well lost on 2.6, more on 2.7, many on 2.8 and some even
with the latets version - not me - just haven't needed to go there
altho I did buy it ... just waiting on brian sending me the reportpro
designer dlls ...

richard
From: Geoff Schaller on
Richard.

You are right, there are still a bunch of poor sucks out there still
using Clipper apps. Add to your list petrol stations (gas stations for
the Americans reading this).

But that doesn't make it good - or appropriate.

The clipper DOS terminal just cannot do things other applications take
for granted: they can't run tow terminals at once, they can't do
internet lookups, they can't get the pixel density of a GUI, they can't
overlay three browsers simultaneously so that they can do three jobs at
once, they can't do a million things the average windows user is used to
doing.

It is just so sad to see those DOS POS terminals hampering their staff
when you know they could be doing so much better in the year 2010.

<sigh>

"richard.townsendrose" <richard.townsendrose(a)googlemail.com> wrote in
message

From: Ginny Caughey on
The analogy with Clipper is a reasonable one - and yes I have one Clipper
app I still maintain. But VO has one huge advantage over Clipper: because VO
supports COM, you can extend VO apps with code written in newer
tools/languages.

--

Ginny Caughey
www.wasteworks.com

From: Jozo on
Hi all !

I have 40 clients under VO i 40 clients under clipper. I consider about
Vulcan too.

Jozo

From: Marc Verkade [Marti] on
I really do not understand what point you try to make here.
You are starting to sound like a grumpy old man...
I am sorry for you!

With disregards, Marc!