From: Karl E. Peterson on
Bob O`Bob wrote:
> Larry Serflaten wrote:
>> "MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote
>>
>>> Why don't we all just agree to switch over to
>>> comp.lang.basic.visual.misc on a certain date to be announced? You'd
>>> need a switchover date, and repeated reminders in here beforehand, so
>>> that people got the message. I suggest a switchover date of 1st June
>>> 2010.
>
> Why wait?

Agreed. I'm there. :-)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Karl E. Peterson on
GS wrote:
>> http://www.mesnews.net/gb/chargement.php
>
> Yeah, I tried mesnews (along with several others) back when you first told me
> about it. Otherwise, I'd still be using the web interface!<g> As you can see
> by the header on my posts, mesnews won out over the others. I liked
> Thunderbird as a replacement for OE/Live Mail, though, so I might go with it
> for mail/calendar on my Win7x64 machine when I switch over from this XP
> machine.

I'm still in ordinary Outlook for mail, myself, because I'm reliant on
an Exchange server (among others).

> I need to spend more time in Win7x64 to see what options I have for
> Instant Messaging since that's the vehicle through which I provide Remote
> Assistance to my clients. I'm sure there's an alternative; -I just don't know
> what that is right now!<grrr>

I have Miranda IM setup here now. Not quite as "foofy" as WM, but
seems to do the job pretty well.

>> I'd like to, but I'm really not in a position to mirror usenet. (I'm not
>> going to set up my own web forums, because I wouldn't have the patience to
>> use them myself! <g>) I don't have a problem running a private newsserver,
>> but turning it public just becomes a bit of an ordeal, I'm afraid.
>>
>> At any rate, I do think there are very viable options out there to continue
>> this (and related) community. In fact, I'll probably try to get some
>> linkage, and a little bit of commentary, going in a few places.
>
> Well, I'm not surprised at your reply! Unfortunately, I don't know much about
> the hooplah involved with such things. I hope that wherever this NG ends up,
> I'll be welcome to tag along. There's just so much more VB6 I want to learn
> and this NG now plays a bigger roll in that process than it did before I
> started using a newsreader, which was already a huge part anyway.

Get yourself an account on a free server, now, so you're ready. There
are several mentioned in this thread (eg, www.aioe.org and
www.eternal-september.org), and find the comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
group. Even if Microsoft pulls off the impossible and manages to
convince mirrors to delete the groups as well, that is a safe landing
zone.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: GS on
Karl E. Peterson was thinking very hard :
> Bob O`Bob wrote:
>> Larry Serflaten wrote:
>>> "MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote

>> Why wait?
>
> Agreed. I'm there. :-)

Exactly where is that and what do I need to connect?
Thanks!

From: GS on
Karl E. Peterson wrote on 5/10/2010 :
> GS wrote:
>>> http://www.mesnews.net/gb/chargement.php
>>
>> Yeah, I tried mesnews (along with several others) back when you first told
>> me about it. Otherwise, I'd still be using the web interface!<g> As you can
>> see by the header on my posts, mesnews won out over the others. I liked
>> Thunderbird as a replacement for OE/Live Mail, though, so I might go with
>> it for mail/calendar on my Win7x64 machine when I switch over from this XP
>> machine.
>
> I'm still in ordinary Outlook for mail, myself, because I'm reliant on an
> Exchange server (among others).
>
>> I need to spend more time in Win7x64 to see what options I have for Instant
>> Messaging since that's the vehicle through which I provide Remote
>> Assistance to my clients. I'm sure there's an alternative; -I just don't
>> know what that is right now!<grrr>
>
> I have Miranda IM setup here now. Not quite as "foofy" as WM, but seems to
> do the job pretty well.

I have Skype going on one machine for conversing with people using
Macs. Is Miranda cross-platform?

>>> I'd like to, but I'm really not in a position to mirror usenet. (I'm not
>>> going to set up my own web forums, because I wouldn't have the patience to
>>> use them myself! <g>) I don't have a problem running a private
>>> newsserver, but turning it public just becomes a bit of an ordeal, I'm
>>> afraid.
>>>
>>> At any rate, I do think there are very viable options out there to
>>> continue this (and related) community. In fact, I'll probably try to get
>>> some linkage, and a little bit of commentary, going in a few places.
>>
>> Well, I'm not surprised at your reply! Unfortunately, I don't know much
>> about the hooplah involved with such things. I hope that wherever this NG
>> ends up, I'll be welcome to tag along. There's just so much more VB6 I want
>> to learn and this NG now plays a bigger roll in that process than it did
>> before I started using a newsreader, which was already a huge part anyway.
>
> Get yourself an account on a free server, now, so you're ready. There are
> several mentioned in this thread (eg, www.aioe.org and
> www.eternal-september.org), and find the comp.lang.basic.visual.misc group.
> Even if Microsoft pulls off the impossible and manages to convince mirrors to
> delete the groups as well, that is a safe landing zone.

I asked about this in another post where you replied to me. I'll follow
your lead if you provide me with the details of where/what/how you're
connecting to the comp.lang.basic.visual.misc group. I suppose I could
go investigating several servers but I'm sure what's good for you will
also be just as good for me (assuming you'd recommend the one you're
using).<bg>

From: Karl E. Peterson on
GS wrote:
> Karl E. Peterson was thinking very hard :
>> Bob O`Bob wrote:

>>> Why wait?
>>
>> Agreed. I'm there. :-)
>
> Exactly where is that and what do I need to connect?

It's on usenet. You need a newsserver. <g>

Look at www.eternal-september.org or www.aioe.org for a couple of free
options.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40
Prev: Localized Date
Next: Check if String has a number