From: Paul Clement on
On Thu, 6 May 2010 20:59:49 +0100, "Mike Williams" <Mike(a)WhiskeyAndCoke.com> wrote:

� > Oh now don't go getting angry Mike. I know it's difficult for
� > you to convert your code but we'r there to help. . . .

� That's not anger, Clement, it's merely an honest observation. But of course
� you would not understand the concept of honesty.

One must experience honesty first before assessing the behavior in others. Of course you are angry
or you wouldn't be ripping Microsoft at every opportunity or personally attacking me or others. It's
disingenuous to call fact-less opinions and generally negative comments "observations".

�If you wish to contine to
� live in your own alternative make believe universe then go ahead, but I
� would appreciate it if you did it somewhere else.

Ah, but you've failed to realize that this *is* a part of my universe, just not what I've confined
myself to, unlike you. But now I'm sad because a part of that will disappear, taking you and others
with it. :-(

� > Honest, no lies.

� Now now, Walter. Stop telling lies.

Oh but you failed to check the evidence so I shall help you again.

http://social.msdn.micro$oft.com/fanboysclub/Forums/en-US/vbinterop/threads

� > I'll even post a link so you can get the upgrade process rolling:
� >

� But I'm not upgrading, Walter, and even if I were considering a move to
� something else (which I am not) it would certainly not be anything that
� Micro$oft has a hand in.

Why because you're angry? It hasn't stopped you from hanging around in a Microsoft newsgroup for
years, supporting a Microsoft product.

� > Well I guess I was still holding out hope for you Mike. Silly me. But it's
� > not
� > really fair to call me stupid just because you're stuck and I'm not.

� I'm not stuck, Walter. You're the one who is stuck. You are locked onto the
� Micro$oft carousel going round and round ever faster and being bumped about
� by the grinning Micro$oft fairground gypsies and you can't get off :-)

Oh you only say that because the carousel is leaving you behind. It's not too late though, you can
still hop on... or sadly, sour grapes it will continue to be?

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
From: Mayayana on
| Kerio v2.1 - very simple and effective

You didn't say anything about why you think
that one's best. According to the tests I linked
it doesn't filter outbound UDP and has other
shortcomings in terms of malware getting
around it.
I wouldn't necessarily take Matousec as the
last word, but they seem to be thorough and
detailed in their testing, while I don't have the
means or the expertise to perform such tests.
When I was researching firewalls Matousec
seemed to be well regarded and certainly had the
most informative data.

All I want is total, fine-grained control over
all incoming and outgoing, which is what a firewall
is supposed to do. But it seems that precious
few of them can do it. :)

I think Online Armor actually seems to be quite
good -- a bit bloated and overproduced, but it does
its job. The only part I don't like is the constant,
pointless disk access. That can't be good for the life
of the disk.

From: Bob Butler on

"MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Thu, 6 May 2010 12:03:45 -0700, "Bob Butler" <noway(a)nospam.ever>
> But why?

Because randomly confiscating private property is not the answer

> They might be causing great financial hardship to millions of
> coders, businesses and users, including (further) loss of employment
> in the world's greatest recession since the 1930s.

Choosing any vendor's product always carries the inherent risk that support
will end. I think it was unelievably short-sighted and stupid for MS to
drop VB given its widespread use but that was their decision. The recession
was not caused by MS dropping VB and companies are still able to use VB so
any financial hardship has been self-inflicted by making the (IMO) foolish
decision to try to convert existing code.

> I think desperate
> times need desperate measures,

That kind of thinking can be used to justify most anything. Truly desperate
times can require desperate measures but having to switch to a new
development platform hardly qualifies. Had MS needed a government rescue to
survive the recession then I might agree that there would be justification
for demanding concessions like you propose. If there was a sngle shred of
evidence that releasing VB for further support and development would have a
serious positive impact on the global recession then there would be reason
to put a lot of public pressure on MS to take action but even then it'd have
to be a major factor before dscussion of forcing the release would make
sense to me.

> The Dow lost 1000 points at one point
> during the early hours.

So something unexpected and as yet fully unexplained happening is cause to
run riot and begin privatizing unrelated property? When the government can
start randomly taking anything that some people want from others that have
it then nobody's property is safe.

From: Mayayana on
|> But their report on
| > Avast also says it doesn't block all outbound traffic.
|
| I didn't think this was an issue since I know what the outbound content
| is.

For me a big part of a firewall's function is
controlling outbound traffic. If all you need
is to be invisible to inbound sniffing then
Windows firewall may even be good enough
for that. But outbound filtering is necessary
to control 1) unrecognized malware that might
get onto the system 2) spyware 3) undesired
software updates 4) junk and snooping software
that MS or others might have running.

I originally discovered what RPC several years
ago when I was using AtGuard. AtGuard had an
adblocking function. (It was way ahead of its time.)
If it missed an ad one could drag that ad to a
rubbish barrel icon in order to train the filter. One
day I saw an ad for MS Visual Studio. I accidentally
used the wrong mouse button to drag it into the
barrel. AtGuard then popped up and asked if I
wanted to allow DCOM out! MS was apparently going
to rummage around my system without asking me
as part of bringing me to their advertising page.

From: Michael on
If it doesn't filter outbound UDP, then its display of current filter rules
is a bit of a fiction where it distinguishes the direction of any allowed
protocol per application. I have used it here and on client PCs for 10 years
or more without problem.
Why I mentioned it was your preference for a lightweight firewall - which is
exactly why I have stayed with that version of Kerio.

Michael

"Mayayana" <mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> wrote in message
> | Kerio v2.1 - very simple and effective
> |

> You didn't say anything about why you think
> that one's best. According to the tests I linked
> it doesn't filter outbound UDP and has other
> shortcomings in terms of malware getting
> around it.
> I wouldn't necessarily take Matousec as the
> last word, but they seem to be thorough and
> detailed in their testing, while I don't have the
> means or the expertise to perform such tests.
> When I was researching firewalls Matousec
> seemed to be well regarded and certainly had the
> most informative data.
>
> All I want is total, fine-grained control over
> all incoming and outgoing, which is what a firewall
> is supposed to do. But it seems that precious
> few of them can do it. :)
>
> I think Online Armor actually seems to be quite
> good -- a bit bloated and overproduced, but it does
> its job. The only part I don't like is the constant,
> pointless disk access. That can't be good for the life
> of the disk.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Prev: Localized Date
Next: Check if String has a number