From: GS on
Bob Butler pretended :
> "MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 6 May 2010 07:36:01 -0700, "Bob Butler" <noway(a)nospam.ever>
>> I believe once they have sold it a million times and a million
>> potential customers are making their livelihoods from it, they lose
>> all rights to it. Or at least they lose the right to screw over those
>> million users within just a few years on the pretext of introducing
>> something new that turns out to be incompatible.
>
> I don't believe in punishing somebody for being successful. I don't think
> that MS should have any right to pursue somebody who came out with a
> source-compatible VB replacement given that they have abandoned it, but the
> VB6 compiler is their property and no matter how many people want it it is
> still their property.

I agree that the VB compiler is their 'property'. But that doesn't mean
they have to squander it if not using it; -they could sell it or even
donate it for the betterment of all. Hey.., maybe that qualifies it as
good criteria for a tax write off for the Gates Foundatation!<g>

From: Bob Butler on

"GS" <GS(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Bob Butler pretended :
>> "MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> On Thu, 6 May 2010 07:36:01 -0700, "Bob Butler" <noway(a)nospam.ever>
>>> I believe once they have sold it a million times and a million
>>> potential customers are making their livelihoods from it, they lose
>>> all rights to it. Or at least they lose the right to screw over those
>>> million users within just a few years on the pretext of introducing
>>> something new that turns out to be incompatible.
>>
>> I don't believe in punishing somebody for being successful. I don't
>> think that MS should have any right to pursue somebody who came out with
>> a source-compatible VB replacement given that they have abandoned it, but
>> the VB6 compiler is their property and no matter how many people want it
>> it is still their property.
>
> I agree that the VB compiler is their 'property'. But that doesn't mean
> they have to squander it if not using it; -they could sell it or even
> donate it for the betterment of all. Hey.., maybe that qualifies it as
> good criteria for a tax write off for the Gates Foundatation!<g>

I wish they would; I hate that they've locked it away. I just totally
disagree that they should be in any way forced to release it.

From: GS on
> I wish they would; I hate that they've locked it away. I just totally
> disagree that they should be in any way forced to release it.

Agreed! Maybe someone with some clout can persuade them that it would
be good public relations and goodwill to step up. Maybe the folks at
PowerBasic would be interested in having that compiler so their product
could import/convert VB projects. (Just an idea!<bg>)

From: Karl E. Peterson on
MM wrote:
> On Wed, 05 May 2010 14:47:00 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
> wrote:
>
>> MM wrote:
>>> I only have a free 1gb per month account with NewsgroupDirect.
>>> (However, anyone can sign up for the free account, which is open-ended
>>> and renews on the 1st of each month.)
>>
>> This the place? http://www.newsgroupdirect.com/signup/
>>
>> I don't see the free option?
>
> Maybe they've discontinued it. But my free account with them is still
> working (just tried it).
>
> See here:
> http://www.newsgroupdirect.com/blog/2009/07/30/newsgroupdirect-announces-free-accounts/
>
> That's the route through which I signed up for my free account.

I just dropped them a note, asking if that offer was no longer
available, and pointing out to them the current fiasco as a potentially
huge marketing opportunity if they played it right.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Tony Toews [MVP] wrote:
> MM <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Yes, I have *never* got any newsfeed from any MS server. I use my ISP
>> Zen for access to this and similar groups.
>
> I connect to the MS news servers usually. I only connect to my ISPs
> news servers when I want to see one particular individual's foul
> mouthed replies to my disagreements with him which MS censor off their
> news servers. <smile>
>
> If he wasn't so repetitive it'd be amusing. Although he has already
> pleaded guilty to cyber stalking and has made some interesting threats
> so he's actually not that amusing.
>
> Oh yes, and The Reg called him a "Serial commentard" hehehe

LOL!!! #1 hit on that description says it all. And I thought *we* had
some douchy behavior in here. That's hillarious. :-)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36
Prev: Localized Date
Next: Check if String has a number