From: Leo on
news.eternal-september.org works for me using Windows Live Mail and
authentication. I havent had to sign in with a Windows Live ID to post.

From: MM on
On Wed, 05 May 2010 14:47:00 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
wrote:

>MM wrote:
>> I only have a free 1gb per month account with NewsgroupDirect.
>> (However, anyone can sign up for the free account, which is open-ended
>> and renews on the 1st of each month.)
>
>This the place? http://www.newsgroupdirect.com/signup/
>
>I don't see the free option?

Maybe they've discontinued it. But my free account with them is still
working (just tried it).

See here:
http://www.newsgroupdirect.com/blog/2009/07/30/newsgroupdirect-announces-free-accounts/

That's the route through which I signed up for my free account.

MM
From: MM on
On Thu, 6 May 2010 00:00:45 +0200, "Helmut Meukel"
<NoSpam(a)NoProvider.de> wrote:

>"Helmut Meukel" <NoSpam(a)NoProvider.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>>
>>> This the place? http://www.newsgroupdirect.com/signup/
>>>
>>> I don't see the free option?
>>>
>>> --
>>> .NET: It's About Trust!
>>> http://vfred.mvps.org
>>>

>> Karl, try http://www.newsgroupdirect.com not the signup page
>

>Sorry, clicking "Try out for free" will show the signup page.
>When you there select "Sign up" then you find the free account,
>but it says there:
>Free Trial Terms
>Free trials are available to customers paying by US credit card only. Only new
>customers will qualify for the free trial period. Block accounts are also not
>eligible for the free trial. A small charge will be processed to your credit
>card to make sure that the card is valid. The free trial expires after 14 days
>or after 1GB of usage, whichever comes first.

When I signed up for my free account, they didn't require any credit
card (otherwise I wouldn't have signed up). Maybe I was lucky to get
the free account at the time, because it looks like they are going to
honour any free accounts created indefinitely.

MM
From: MM on
On Wed, 5 May 2010 18:54:59 +0100, "Mike Williams"
<Mike(a)WhiskeyAndCoke.com> wrote:

>"Larry Serflaten" <serflaten(a)usinternet.com> wrote in message
>>> Why don't we all just agree to switch over to
>>> comp.lang.basic.visual.misc on a certain date to be announced?
>>> You'd need a switchover date, and repeated reminders in here
>>> beforehand, so that people got the message. I suggest a
>>> switchover date of 1st June 2010.
>>
>> We would still need someone to provide 'free' access. I doubt
>> my provider offers NNTP, and from the sound of things, many
>> other major players are letting go also....
>
>I tried some of the free servers, news.aioe.org and others, years ago and I
>was not very happy with any of them. Personally, when I used to frequent
>comp.lang.basic.visual.misc for a good few years some time ago I used Google
>Groups to do it. I know web based stuff is not the best for groups, but if
>you set up Google groups to display by topic it's not so bad. In fact I've
>decided to go along with MM's suggestion and move to
>comp.lang.basic.visual.misc on 1st June, completely ditching this group.
>That's what I'm going to do. Somehow, I'll feel much better moving of my own
>volition before the Micro$oft control freaks close it.

Hey! Good idea!

1st June, everyone! ------> comp.lang.basic.visual.misc

MM
From: MM on
On Wed, 05 May 2010 13:23:24 -0500, dpb <none(a)non.net> wrote:

>Mike Williams wrote:
>
>> I tried some of the free servers, news.aioe.org and others, years ago and I
>> was not very happy with any of them. ...
>
>I'd suggest giving them a go again before throwing in the towel
>entirely. I've been using new.eternal-september.org for over a year and
>don't see anything to dislike (other than retention period, perhaps, but
>one can always take other alternatives if need be for that purpose).
>
>There are also several quite inexpensive if not free newsservers that
>aren't but a few US$ or euros/year. Not entirely free, but certainly
>not onerous.

I think I get an amazing deal from Astraweb. 180gb block for a one-off
payment of $25, which in English money is as cheap as chips (which is
what we call French Fries when George Bush isn't president). I've had
it for months and still have nearly half of it left. Other news
providers do similar block accounts,

MM
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Prev: Localized Date
Next: Check if String has a number