From: Paul Clement on
On Wed, 5 May 2010 12:25:29 -0400, "C. Kevin Provance" <*@*.*> wrote:

� : � That article seems to imply there will be an alternative. Would they really devote resources to moving this group?
� :
� : For some newsgroups there will be a replacement, but I cannot confirm or deny whether there will be
� : an equivalent for Classic VB.
� :
� : � I did notice recently this particular newsgroup can be accessed via the www, through the MSFT web site. Let's say, just for chuckles, MSFT gives VB6 it's own forum, and is moderated by folks like Clement and McCarthy. Would any of you participate?
� :
� : I'm not a moderator in the MSDN forums so that would be up to MVP and Microsoft Moderators. I think
� : there are a few VB MVPs that are also moderators.

� What are we? Friends? Showing up here with your faux friendliness is nothing more than concealed gloating. You can't deny you have not been waiting for this to happen. I wouldn't be surprised to find out you campaigned to have this process started.

� Yeah, I'll bet your real happy. Go gloat somewhere else.

As usual you're wrong. Actually I have suggested and would support a replacement in the forums for
these newsgroups. Probably not for you, since you're a chronic complainer and wouldn't survive the
moderation, but I believe it would be of value to others who are seriously interested in
contributing. But I've had basically no input on this decision, other than my suggestion after the
fact.

In any event, I was simply responding with public information relating to your questions Kevin. I
am generally indifferent with respect to whether you like me. But if it makes you feel any
better...bite me! ;-)

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
From: Cor Ligthert[MVP] on

"C. Kevin Provance" <*@*.*> wrote in message
> "Paul Clement" <UseAdddressAtEndofMessage(a)swspectrum.com> wrote in message
> : On Tue, 4 May 2010 22:20:01 -0400, "C. Kevin Provance" <*@*.*> wrote:
> :
> : � That article seems to imply there will be an alternative. Would they
> really devote resources to moving this group?
> :
> : For some newsgroups there will be a replacement, but I cannot confirm or
> deny whether there will be
> : an equivalent for Classic VB.
> :
> : � I did notice recently this particular newsgroup can be accessed via
> the www, through the MSFT web site. Let's say, just for chuckles, MSFT
> gives VB6 it's own forum, and is moderated by folks like Clement and
> McCarthy. Would any of you participate?
> :
> : I'm not a moderator in the MSDN forums so that would be up to MVP and
> Microsoft Moderators. I think
> : there are a few VB MVPs that are also moderators.
>
> What are we? Friends? Showing up here with your faux friendliness is
> nothing more than concealed gloating. You can't deny you have not been
> waiting for this to happen. I wouldn't be surprised to find out you
> campaigned to have this process started.
>
> Yeah, I'll bet your real happy. Go gloat somewhere else.

Till the last day active in this newsgroup showing that you've used never
any information for what you wrote here, only your bad thoughts.

I can simply write that you are wrong in what you wrote here, based on
information.

From: dpb on
Helmut Meukel wrote:

> The name microsoft is their property. They can insist not using it in the
> news group name, Can't they?

Not so sure since they put it out there on their own volition knowing a
priori the nature of usenet.

If they hadn't opened the servers to be public then, of course, when
they turn off their array it would die but they didn't; they allowed the
groups to be mirrored in an open, unrestricted space. I'd think that
would establish the precedent. But, IANAL :)

From: dpb on
Frisbee� wrote:

> Not having read the entire (huge) thread on this, pardon me if someone else
> has already mentioned this:
>
> Just because Microsoft has decided to shut-down its newsgroups, that can
> only mean them shutting down -their- nntp servers. Are these MS newsgroups
> not also carried on virtually all nntp servers on USENET anyway? It's hard
> enough trying to add a new newsgroup to USENET, I can't imagine how hard it
> would be to remove one (let alone thousands).

Yes, one of the subthreads under my response to MM is just that subject
that the mirror servers won't just disappear when MS pulls the plug on
theirs.

From: Mike Williams on
"Larry Serflaten" <serflaten(a)usinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Why don't we all just agree to switch over to
>> comp.lang.basic.visual.misc on a certain date to be announced?
>> You'd need a switchover date, and repeated reminders in here
>> beforehand, so that people got the message. I suggest a
>> switchover date of 1st June 2010.
>
> We would still need someone to provide 'free' access. I doubt
> my provider offers NNTP, and from the sound of things, many
> other major players are letting go also....

I tried some of the free servers, news.aioe.org and others, years ago and I
was not very happy with any of them. Personally, when I used to frequent
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc for a good few years some time ago I used Google
Groups to do it. I know web based stuff is not the best for groups, but if
you set up Google groups to display by topic it's not so bad. In fact I've
decided to go along with MM's suggestion and move to
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc on 1st June, completely ditching this group.
That's what I'm going to do. Somehow, I'll feel much better moving of my own
volition before the Micro$oft control freaks close it.

Mike

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Prev: Localized Date
Next: Check if String has a number