From: Dee Earley on
On 04/05/2010 23:08, Karl E. Peterson wrote:
> The final insult they had left to deliver...
>
> Q: When will this transition be complete?
>
> A: Microsoft is closing newsgroups in phases and anticipates completing
> this by Fall 2010.
>
> Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Communities
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx

Sounds like DevX all over again :)
(For those that remember it)

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)
From: Mike Williams on

"FM" <spam(a)uce.gov> wrote in message

> If a suitable alternative that works for everyone can be found
> this could be a blessing in disguise to become less dependent
> on Microsoft as clearly they dont want anything to do with it.
> If it can be clearly defined as VB4/5/6/Classic it might also see
> the end of the vbnet trolling that has been a problem here for
> a long time now.

Personally I'm thinking about moving back to comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
which I used to frequent some time ago using Google Groups. It used to be a
very busy group years ago, but the traffic there has dropped of to almost
nothing over the last couple of years. I'll keep my eye on it for a while
first though because it's actually been getting more spam messages than real
posts since the Micro$oft control freaks started to close down their own
groups. I wonder who's orchestrating that little part of their plan ;-)

Mike

From: Cor Ligthert[MVP] on

"Larry Serflaten" >
> What a brazen attempt to pass their dominate everything ideology off as a
> benefit to users! Much of what they say the forums can do could have been
> adapted for use in NNTP formats. This is yet another example of MS
> thinking
> that everybody loves rich internet apps. To turn a phrase:

What had you expected then it is a commercial company, it is written
probably by some marketing guys with some jurist around it.

However, I did not see this link in this message thread.

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion/topics?lnk

I assume that Google host that themselves and only add new threads from this
NNTP forum. It has a much longer retention time than the Microsoft NNTP
Servers.

Maybe it helps some of you.

Cor

From: Phill W. on
On 04/05/2010 23:08, Karl E. Peterson wrote:
> The final insult they had left to deliver...
>
> Q: When will this transition be complete?
>
> A: Microsoft is closing newsgroups in phases and anticipates completing
> this by Fall 2010.
>
> Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Communities
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx

I'm going to miss these Groups.
I've been using them for over a decade, finding them /by far/ the most
useful and effective source of information anywhere on the Web.

Personally, I detest Forums, simply because they're /so/ inefficient to
browse through. With Thunderbird I can easily get 40+ threads in a
single window and can scan over them with ease to find any that I might
be able to help with. How many can you see at once with any of these
waffly, webby, Forum things?

For the casual peruser, the forum format is wasteful, distracting and
off-putting. OK, you can search a forum easily enough but how often
have we all picked up a trick about something whilst browsing through a
NewsGroup looking for something entirely different?

Not that I can say I'm surprised - Our Friends in Redmond have proven,
yet again, that they can (and will) do whatever they like, whenever they
like.

Keep stuff in Word 2 documents?
Not if you apply an /upgrade/ to MS Office and it suddenly refuses
to even /read/ them any more!
Use Compiled HTML Help on network file shares?
Oops! Sorry; they're a "security risk". You can't have those any
more.
Choose to use Usenet because it's quick and efficient?
Ah! Those were the days.

All we can do is grumble about it and get on as best we can with yet
another of our best resources pulled out from under us. Still, at least
our grumbling will be chewing up space on /their/ servers now. :-)

Regards,
Phill W.
From: Helmut Meukel on
"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> The final insult they had left to deliver...
>
> Q: When will this transition be complete?
>
> A: Microsoft is closing newsgroups in phases and anticipates completing this
> by Fall 2010.
>
> Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Communities
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx
>
> --
> .NET: It's About Trust!
> http://vfred.mvps.org

About 11 years ago I went away from VISBAS-L(a)peach.ease.lsoft.com
because the traffic there was overwhelming.
I now logged-in to their archives and realized the traffic there is extremely
low now, but the list still exists. Wouldn't it be an alternative?

Helmut.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Prev: Localized Date
Next: Check if String has a number