From: Henning on

"Mike Williams" <Mike(a)WhiskeyAndCoke.com> skrev i meddelandet
> "Bob Butler" <noway(a)nospam.ever> wrote in message
>
>>> Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Communities
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx
>>
>> I like "make it easier for contributors to retain their influence" and
>> 'Perhaps most appealing is the notion that "we own the app"'. Any decent
>> real-VB-only alternatives?
>
> The comp.lang.basic.visual.misc group used to be very busy up until two or
> three years ago. I still check that group every day, but it doesn't get
> much traffic these days. It will probably start to get busy again soon if
> the Micro$oft control freaks go ahead with their plans to ditch this
> group.
>
> Mike

Moving to c.l.b.v.m will be easy, but what happens to all older posts in
this group? Will they still be available on some mirrors?

/Henning

From: Henning on

"Mike Williams" <Mike(a)WhiskeyAndCoke.com> skrev i meddelandet
> "Bob Butler" <noway(a)nospam.ever> wrote in message
>
>>> Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Communities
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx
>>
>> I like "make it easier for contributors to retain their influence" and
>> 'Perhaps most appealing is the notion that "we own the app"'. Any decent
>> real-VB-only alternatives?
>
> The comp.lang.basic.visual.misc group used to be very busy up until two or
> three years ago. I still check that group every day, but it doesn't get
> much traffic these days. It will probably start to get busy again soon if
> the Micro$oft control freaks go ahead with their plans to ditch this
> group.
>
> Mike

I'll be damnd, my ISP has shut down the nntp server.... :(((

/Henning

From: Nobody on
"Henning" <computer_hero(a)coldmail.com> wrote in message
> I'll be damnd, my ISP has shut down the nntp server.... :(((

Yes, some of the major ISP's stopped their Usenet services. Quote from
Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet#Usenet_traffic_today

"In 2008, Verizon Communications, Time Warner Cable and Sprint Nextel signed
an agreement with Attorney General of New York Andrew Cuomo to shut down
access to sources of child pornography.[27] Time Warner Cable stopped
offering access to Usenet. Verizon reduced its access to the "Big 8"
hierarchies. Sprint stopped access to the alt.* hierarchies. AT&T stopped
access to the alt.binaries.* hierarchies. Cuomo never specifically named
Usenet in his anti-child pornography campaign. David DeJean of PC World said
that some worry that the ISPs used Cuomo's campaign as an excuse to end
portions of Usenet access, as it is costly for the internet service
providers. In 2008 AOL, which no longer offered Usenet access, and the four
providers that responded to the Cuomo campaign were the five largest
internet service providers in the United States; they had more than 50% of
the U.S. ISP marketshare.[28] On June 8, 2009, AT&T announced that it would
no longer provide access to the Usenet service as of July 15, 2009.[29]

AOL announced that it would discontinue its integrated Usenet service in
early 2005, citing the growing popularity of weblogs, chat forums and
on-line conferencing.[30] The AOL community had a tremendous role in
popularizing Usenet some 11 years earlier,[citation needed] with all of its
positive and negative aspects. This change marked the end of the legendary
Eternal September. Others, however, feel that Google Groups, especially with
its new user interface, has picked up the torch that AOL has dropped-and
that the so-called Eternal September has yet to end.[citation needed]

In August, 2009, Verizon announced that it would discontinue access to
Usenet on September 30, 2009.[31][32]

In April 2010, Cox Communications announced (via email) that it would
discontinue usenet service, effective June 30, 2010. JANET(UK) announced it
will discontinue Usenet service, effective July 31, 2010, citing Google
Groups as an alternative.[33]"

From: Claire on
What about my goal to become MVP?
I am going to jump off the cliff :(
Claire

From: Jimekus on

> Moving to c.l.b.v.m will be easy, but what happens to all older posts in
> this group? Will they still be available on some mirrors?
>
> /Henning

Exactly! There are important posts on this group, like how to install
VB6 on Linux, etc.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: Localized Date