From: Paul Clement on
On Tue, 4 May 2010 19:43:51 -0400, "Claire" <replyto(a)fra> wrote:

� What about my goal to become MVP?
� I am going to jump off the cliff :(
� Claire

Try jumping to the web forums instead:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/visualbasic

If you still want to use your news reader Microsoft just released a new version of the Forums NNTP
Bridge:

https://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums/Downloads

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
From: Paul Clement on
On Tue, 4 May 2010 22:06:00 -0400, "MikeD" <nobody(a)nowhere.edu> wrote:

� So as I understand it, MS is dropping NNTP completely. Not just THIS
� newsgroup, but ALL of them.

Yes.

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
From: MM on
On Wed, 5 May 2010 12:06:53 +0100, "Mike Williams"
<Mike(a)WhiskyAndCoke.com> wrote:

>"FM" <spam(a)uce.gov> wrote in message
>
>> If a suitable alternative that works for everyone can be found
>> this could be a blessing in disguise to become less dependent
>> on Microsoft as clearly they dont want anything to do with it.
>> If it can be clearly defined as VB4/5/6/Classic it might also see
>> the end of the vbnet trolling that has been a problem here for
>> a long time now.
>
>Personally I'm thinking about moving back to comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
>which I used to frequent some time ago using Google Groups. It used to be a
>very busy group years ago, but the traffic there has dropped of to almost
>nothing over the last couple of years. I'll keep my eye on it for a while
>first though because it's actually been getting more spam messages than real
>posts since the Micro$oft control freaks started to close down their own
>groups. I wonder who's orchestrating that little part of their plan ;-)

Why don't we all just agree to switch over to
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc on a certain date to be announced? You'd
need a switchover date, and repeated reminders in here beforehand, so
that people got the message. I suggest a switchover date of 1st June
2010.

MM
From: Henning on

"Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> skrev i meddelandet
> "Henning" <computer_hero(a)coldmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'll be damnd, my ISP has shut down the nntp server.... :(((
>
> Yes, some of the major ISP's stopped their Usenet services. Quote from
> Wikipedia:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet#Usenet_traffic_today
>
> "In 2008, Verizon Communications, Time Warner Cable and Sprint Nextel
> signed an agreement with Attorney General of New York Andrew Cuomo to shut
> down access to sources of child pornography.[27] Time Warner Cable
> stopped offering access to Usenet. Verizon reduced its access to the "Big
> 8" hierarchies. Sprint stopped access to the alt.* hierarchies. AT&T
> stopped access to the alt.binaries.* hierarchies. Cuomo never specifically
> named Usenet in his anti-child pornography campaign. David DeJean of PC
> World said that some worry that the ISPs used Cuomo's campaign as an
> excuse to end portions of Usenet access, as it is costly for the internet
> service providers. In 2008 AOL, which no longer offered Usenet access, and
> the four providers that responded to the Cuomo campaign were the five
> largest internet service providers in the United States; they had more
> than 50% of the U.S. ISP marketshare.[28] On June 8, 2009, AT&T announced
> that it would no longer provide access to the Usenet service as of July
> 15, 2009.[29]
>
> AOL announced that it would discontinue its integrated Usenet service in
> early 2005, citing the growing popularity of weblogs, chat forums and
> on-line conferencing.[30] The AOL community had a tremendous role in
> popularizing Usenet some 11 years earlier,[citation needed] with all of
> its positive and negative aspects. This change marked the end of the
> legendary Eternal September. Others, however, feel that Google Groups,
> especially with its new user interface, has picked up the torch that AOL
> has dropped-and that the so-called Eternal September has yet to
> end.[citation needed]
>
> In August, 2009, Verizon announced that it would discontinue access to
> Usenet on September 30, 2009.[31][32]
>
> In April 2010, Cox Communications announced (via email) that it would
> discontinue usenet service, effective June 30, 2010. JANET(UK) announced
> it will discontinue Usenet service, effective July 31, 2010, citing Google
> Groups as an alternative.[33]"

Anyone has any experience with giganews.com or thundernews.com for a
newsserver?

/Henning

From: MM on
On Wed, 05 May 2010 10:44:22 +0100, Dee Earley
<dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk> wrote:

>On 04/05/2010 23:08, Karl E. Peterson wrote:
>> The final insult they had left to deliver...
>>
>> Q: When will this transition be complete?
>>
>> A: Microsoft is closing newsgroups in phases and anticipates completing
>> this by Fall 2010.
>>
>> Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Communities
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx
>
>Sounds like DevX all over again :)
>(For those that remember it)

But at least I kept all the CD-ROMs! I have them from September 1997
to November 2000

MM
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Prev: Localized Date