From: Mike Williams on
"Paul Clement" <UseAdddressAtEndofMessage(a)swspectrum.com> wrote in message

> Try jumping to the web forums instead:
> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/visualbasic

Why don't you try jumping off a cliff, Clement. All those forums at the link
you posted specifically state they are not for VB6. You are a waste of good
bandwidth, Clement, and (as usual) you are about as useful as a chocolate
teapot. Why don't you just pack it all in and take up something you might be
good at, perhaps doing something with sheep.

Mike

From: Mike Williams on

> . . but I believe it would be of value to others who are seriously
> interested in contributing.

Well that lets you out, Clement. You are a waste of good bandwidth and about

From: Cor Ligthert[MVP] on

"Mike Williams" <Mike(a)WhiskeyAndCoke.com> wrote in message
> "Paul Clement" <UseAdddressAtEndofMessage(a)swspectrum.com> wrote in message
>
>> . . but I believe it would be of value to others who are seriously
>> interested in contributing.
>
> Well that lets you out, Clement. You are a waste of good bandwidth and
> about as useful as a chocolate teapot!

I'm full respect of those who despite of you and some of your friends were
able to keep this newsgroup in the air.

From: dpb on
Mike Williams wrote:

> I tried some of the free servers, news.aioe.org and others, years ago and I
> was not very happy with any of them. ...

I'd suggest giving them a go again before throwing in the towel
entirely. I've been using new.eternal-september.org for over a year and
don't see anything to dislike (other than retention period, perhaps, but
one can always take other alternatives if need be for that purpose).

There are also several quite inexpensive if not free newsservers that
aren't but a few US$ or euros/year. Not entirely free, but certainly
not onerous.

I suppose the thing to do is to watch and see what happens; if the
MS-named groups do disappear from the mirror servers the comp.*
hierarchy would be the obvious place; otherwise I see no reason to
switch groups just because the originating server array dies--that's the
strongpoint of usenet that counteracts the weakness of the multiple
datastores.

Other vendors have, as noted elsewhere in the thread have tried similar
ploys w/ usenet support by creating internal web interfaces and try to
coerce users to their portal--The Mathworks, vendors of Matlab and it's
myriad of addon toolboxes, Simulink, etc., etc., ... are the prime
example of one I know and follow. It seems that the newbies go the web
interface while most of the long-term users stick w/ the newsreaders and
usenet. TMW has at least heeded the feedback from these users that are
the backbone of such a major portion of their technical support they get
for essentially free and have not moved from usenet as the format,
though, which is certainly kudos to them in my book.

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Bob Butler wrote:
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote...
>> The final insult they had left to deliver...
>>
>> Q: When will this transition be complete?
>>
>> A: Microsoft is closing newsgroups in phases and anticipates completing
>> this by Fall 2010.
>>
>> Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Communities
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx
>
> I like "make it easier for contributors to retain their influence" and
> 'Perhaps most appealing is the notion that "we own the app"'.

It was that "own the app" part that *really* got to me, too.

Also, this:

"Microsoft Administrators can help keep the community relevant by
banning users, bulk deleting spam and helping to organize the forums so
they are more discoverable."

If they can make something _more_ discoverable, that certainly implies
the inverse is also true, right?

Bucking Fastards!

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Prev: Localized Date
Next: Check if String has a number