From: C. Kevin Provance on

"dpb" <none(a)non.net> wrote in message news:hrt8up$car$2(a)news.eternal-september.org...
:
: Which raises the question...what _DO_ they understand???

Seriously?

Quarterly statements and how to improve them. Nothing more, nothing less. When the bean counters set productions schedules, it's over.
From: dpb on
Mayayana wrote:
> What about news.aioe.org that was mentioned
> earlier? That seems to be a no-nonsense service
> that doesn't require signing up. According to their
> main page one can just point a newsreader at
> their server.
>
> I currently have newsgroup service with my
> ISP, but it might be nice to get set up with a
> very basic service and not have to think about it.
> If they're providing free service then I don't see
> why I should need to open an account of any kind
> with them.

I had more issues w/ news.aioe.org than w/ news.eternal-september.org

Primarily, more frequent instances of server down, munged/incomplete
headers/threads/etc.

As for eternal-september's policy, I don't think it at all unreasonable
to require a valid userid and account for logging into a service simply
as a control mechanism on the server side. If you don't like it, try
something else.

From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
MM <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Yes, I have *never* got any newsfeed from any MS server. I use my ISP
>Zen for access to this and similar groups.

I connect to the MS news servers usually. I only connect to my ISPs
news servers when I want to see one particular individual's foul
mouthed replies to my disagreements with him which MS censor off their
news servers. <smile>

If he wasn't so repetitive it'd be amusing. Although he has already
pleaded guilty to cyber stalking and has made some interesting threats
so he's actually not that amusing.

Oh yes, and The Reg called him a "Serial commentard" hehehe

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: dpb on
C. Kevin Provance wrote:
> "dpb" <none(a)non.net> wrote in message news:hrt8up$car$2(a)news.eternal-september.org...
> :
> : Which raises the question...what _DO_ they understand???
>
> Seriously?

You can't see a " :) " when it's there???

> Quarterly statements and how to improve them. Nothing more, nothing
> less. When the bean counters set productions schedules, it's over.

Not sure I ken the intent of the two thoughts above. But, whatever the
intent the bean counters haven't been particularly well received in the
marketplace it would seem as over last 5 yrs MSFT hasn't outperformed
the overall NASDAQ by even 0.5%

Just an observation that for an investment since the initial glory days
MSFT has been pretty lackadaisical in comparison to the overall markets
if that is the intent of the operations.

From: GS on
-mhd formulated on Wednesday :
> Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote:
>
>> The final insult they had left to deliver...
>>
>> Q: When will this transition be complete?
>>
>> A: Microsoft is closing newsgroups in phases and anticipates completing
>> this by Fall 2010.
>>
>> Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Communities
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx
>
> It has been pointed out to me that MS also dropped NNTP support in Win7
> (Outlook Express). -mhd

Afaict: Windows Live Mail has a hybrid of Outlook Express, M$ Outlook,
and Live Messenger 'under the hood'. Seems that they just gave it a new
face and tacked on the Passport requirement. Doesn't require any
special sign-on to get news; -works same as OE <IMO>. It appears that
it also integrates Live Messenger and a bunch of other stuff that I
have no use for, but as far as I'm concerned it's no big dif from OE.
Maybe the Calendar has some value as it does in Mozilla's Tbird, but
Tbird is probably the easiest (and free) replacement out there for OE.

As for the content of this thread:
I for one am most grateful to have been able to learn and grow in my
VB6 development endeavors through reading the posts in this NG. Y'all
will be sadly missed for sure. Please know that my sincere thanks goes
out to so many of y'all for the amazing amount of help your posts have
been. You may not know the extent of this since I tend to only ask Qs
when I can't find answers already posted here.

Sadly, I feel I still have such a very long way to go yet and I fear
losing contact with many of you may be too much to bear. I hope a new
location can be established to keep Classic VB alive and well for some
time yet. Just a thought.., but how hard would it be for you, Karl, to
host a forum on your website? May sound daunting but your site is one
of the reasons that I got hooked on VB6 and so just seems to be the
right place if your ISP supports nntp. Anyway, -just a thought (however
wishful it may be!).

I plan to stick with VB for as long as I continue to develop Excel apps
for clients. To be truthful, I was really miffed at M$ for the changes
introduced in MSO12. so mush so that I actually started to move away
from that platform and used VB6 and Farpoint's Spread as an
alternative. That said, if Classic VB dies I probably won't go with M$
products anyway, but that depends how much longer I continue to work.
(I turn 60 in July and I'm severely handicapped with ALS, they say my
passion for my work is what keeps me going)

Many of y'all have fueled that passion. I would be most upset if i
didn't get a chance to say THANKS!

Kind regards,
Garry

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Prev: Localized Date
Next: Check if String has a number