From: Karl E. Peterson on
Henning wrote:
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> skrev i meddelandet
>> Henning wrote:
>>> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> skrev ...

>>> Same thing happened to me... I can login to my personal page, but not to
>>> the newsserver. :((
>>
>> Yeah, I even logged in (on the web) and "changed" my password. No go over
>> nntp.
>
> Mailed their support last night (in europe), and today it's working. Guess I
> will get me some payed4 account at giganews, who have very long times hosting
> msgs, several years. For text only groups, the cheapest is good enough 5
> GB/mo $4.99.

Their servers did finally sync up, and I appear to be in. I think I'll
stick with free, for now.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Mayayana wrote:
>> They don't own it, they don't control it => they don't want it.
>> So, once again, they set out to replace it with something "better". For
>> whom? I've no idea.
>>

> Imagine yourself as Steve Ballmer. You're
> watching Steve Jobs seemingly going off the
> deep end with a campaign of crazed autocracy.
> Abusing Apple customers... Abusing developers...
>
> Yet Apple keeps making more and more money.
> That evokes an image in my mind of Steve Ballmer
> jumping up and down, moving in pogo-stick circles,
> shouting "HOW DO THEY DO THAT?!"
>
> ....Well, monkey see, monkey do. :)

LOL! That's just a precious image... :-D

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Phill W. wrote:
> On 06/05/2010 02:44, Karl E. Peterson wrote:
>
>>> Well I would never use Outlook Express either (I use Agent), but the
>>> point is maybe MS knew a long time ago the writing was on the wall for
>>> their commitment to nntp based groups and this has been in the works
>>> for a quite a while.
>
> They don't own it, they don't control it => they don't want it.
> So, once again, they set out to replace it with something "better". For
> whom? I've no idea.

Better for them, of course. They can have total control over the
message *and* deliver ads! Not to mention build a marketing database
of all the rubes who take part, that they can in turn sell to those
buying the ads. Definitely better for them.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: RW on
On Wed, 05 May 2010 12:55:51 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
wrote:

>Phill W. wrote:
>> Personally, I detest Forums, simply because they're /so/ inefficient to
>> browse through. With Thunderbird I can easily get 40+ threads in a single
>> window and can scan over them with ease to find any that I might be able to
>> help with. How many can you see at once with any of these waffly, webby,
>> Forum things?
>
>Yep, that's why I won't use them. They are to inefficiency what
>steroids are to performance. You get the kissasses with nothing better
>to do providing "answers" and no one else really bothers. Why would
>they? As you say, there's no reciprocity there. You can't browse
>them, as you can these groups, gaining bits and pieces here and there.
>It's all about the culture of *greed*, and it will devolve into only
>the paid answer providers providing any answers at all.

And how long before only *askers* who have paid for the privilege get
to post a question?

RW
From: Karl E. Peterson on
RW wrote:
> On Wed, 05 May 2010 12:55:51 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Phill W. wrote:
>>> Personally, I detest Forums, simply because they're /so/ inefficient to
>>> browse through. With Thunderbird I can easily get 40+ threads in a single
>>> window and can scan over them with ease to find any that I might be able to
>>> help with. How many can you see at once with any of these waffly, webby,
>>> Forum things?
>>
>> Yep, that's why I won't use them. They are to inefficiency what
>> steroids are to performance. You get the kissasses with nothing better
>> to do providing "answers" and no one else really bothers. Why would
>> they? As you say, there's no reciprocity there. You can't browse
>> them, as you can these groups, gaining bits and pieces here and there.
>> It's all about the culture of *greed*, and it will devolve into only
>> the paid answer providers providing any answers at all.
>
> And how long before only *askers* who have paid for the privilege get
> to post a question?

Probably depends on the adoption rate. If enough people come, so that
they can sell enough ads, it may not make sense to turn them away. But
if no one shows up, and they can't sell any ads, they'll be left with
little choice to cover their costs.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38
Prev: Localized Date
Next: Check if String has a number