From: Mayayana on
| They don't own it, they don't control it => they don't want it.
| So, once again, they set out to replace it with something "better". For
| whom? I've no idea.

Imagine yourself as Steve Ballmer. You're
watching Steve Jobs seemingly going off the
deep end with a campaign of crazed autocracy.
Abusing Apple customers... Abusing developers...

Yet Apple keeps making more and more money.
That evokes an image in my mind of Steve Ballmer
jumping up and down, moving in pogo-stick circles,
shouting "HOW DO THEY DO THAT?!"

....Well, monkey see, monkey do. :)

| we'll be exposed to all the web-based "nastiness" that's out
| there. Every other week we get more and more security fixes for our
| browsers

Good point. That's another of the reasons that I
wouldn't use a web forum. They generally require
javascript, which is implicated in nearly all online
security problems.

From: Larry Serflaten on

"Phill W." <p-.-a-.-w-a-r-d-@-o-p-e-n-.-a-c-.-u-k> wrote
> Every other week we get more and more security fixes for our
> browsers but just how the H*** /do/ you catch a virus or get otherwise
> "hacked" via Usenet???

I tried to give them a clue a couple years back...
https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=389684&wa=wsignin1.0
(requires sign-in)

LFS

From: Mayayana on

| Sometimes people chuckle and look heavenwards when I admit to being a
| diehard Windows 98 user. ....I always say, if something ain't broke,
| don't fix it. I'd still like to know what, exactly, all the bells and
| whistles in XP/Vista/Windows 7 do for productivity.

I just switched to XP, finally, after getting a new
monitor. I had to get a new graphics card to get
a good display option, and the card has no '98
driver, of course.

I'm fairly happy with the move, delighted that now
I can download and use just about anything without
worrying about supported versions. (That scenario
should last about 6 months. :)

But I put a lot of work into making the move. I had
to write my own custom hacks just to do things that
worked easily in Win98: changing icons, making all
folders the same size, reassigned the Desktop
to C:\Windows\Desktop so that that commonly used
path is not 87 characters long, etc.

I had to get deeply into
researching services and firewalls. (I'm still not happy
on the firewall front. I settled on Online Armor Free
as one of the top reviewed and least bloated, but it
makes unnecessary disk access every 5 seconds! So I'm
still doing research on firewalls.)

All in all, I see XP as a bloated mess that needs a
great deal of cleanup to be efficient, and a great deal of
education/fine tuning to be safe. I also get odd, funky
behavior that I didn't used to get. XP is more brittle
than '98. One day I experimented with replacing
comdlg32.dll, in an attempt to get a Desktop icon in
Save dialogues. (Who's the nut who came up with the
idea of removing that?!) When I rebooted, XP complained
about a possible corrupt file and refused to do anything
from there. I had to boot into '98 and put the old file back.
XP never asked if I wanted to run boot-time checksums.
And I can't find a way to turn it off. Likewise, I removed
RPCSS in Win98, but if I just shut off RPC in XP I won't be
able to reboot again. Yet I have no use for RPC. It's just
a useless security risk. ...The list goes on. XP just seems
much too easy to break. NT in general is meant to be set
up as a corporate workstation, controlled by admins, and
used by employees who write My Word docs all day and put
them in My Documents.

On the good side, in addition to support for more
software and hardware, I find that XP is more efficient
"under the hood". Large VB projects are hard to load in
'98, for instance. And my own software seems to run
notably faster in XP, all things being equal, than in '98.
BUT...and it's a big but...that's only true when XP has
been cleaned up, with dozens of pointless services
turned off.

From: dpb on
Karl E. Peterson wrote:

> I'm using MesNews these days. But I couldn't even log in with telnet...

I think now I recall that it did take a while from the initial receipt
of account authentication e-mail before the 'bot updated the login
registry database there...I'll bet if you try again today it'll work.

From: dpb on
MM wrote:

> Thinking, as I occasionally still do, about Microsoft's handling of
> classic Visual Basic, I would demand (were I American) of any future
> presidential candidate a new law that made it mandatory for any
> software company to provide support for 50 years once a certain number
> of the product had been sold, e.g. one million. And I would further
> make it the law that ALL the source code would have to be held in
> escrow in case the company went out of business. And further yet, if
> the company went bankrupt and no one came forward to buy the escrowed
> source code, it would be turned into open source.

Have you had any candidates on that side of the pond propose such a
policy? :)

--
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33