From: Henning on

"Mayayana" <mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> skrev i meddelandet

> | Have you tried Avast?
> |

> No. Mostly I was trying products based on this report:
>
> http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php
>
> Unfortunately, those tests are also testing malware.
> Likewise, Online Armor is designed to block malware,
> control running programs, etc. I don't want that. I just
> want a good firewall. So the reports at matousec have
> to be taken with a grain of salt. But their report on
> Avast also says it doesn't block all outbound traffic.
>
> There are so many firewalls, and it's hard to test
> them well. A lot of them I've filtered out just because
> they're so bloated. I tried Comodo, Outpost and PCTools.
> I don't remember now what I found with those, but I seem
> to remember them just being overproduced and bloated.

ZoneAlarm?

/Henning

From: Mayayana on
| ZoneAlarm?

I used to use ZA on Win98. Later versions
have become wildly bloated. Version 2.6 can
still be used on XP and that's fairly compact,
but ZA is not very good about specifics, and
they made some sort of deal with Microsoft
to allow MS software through after v. 2.6. They
started allowing svchost through by default and
it can't be stopped. And ZA doesn't inform which
process is going out via svchost.

I cleaned up junk services like Windows
Time, shut off silly nonsense like "Simple
TCP/IP Services", and reset my router to use
hardcoded IPs so that I wouldn't need DHCP.
Once I went through everything that was trying
to go online and cleaned up, it turned out that
nothing from Windows *needs* to go online.
So I don't want to use programs like ZA that
just give an irrevocable pass to any system
process. To my mind those programs have sold
out their true purpose to make the program
easier to use and thereby gain a wider audience.

(That's what Symantec did when they bought
AtGuard. In addition to adding bloat and doubling
the price, they also set hundreds of programs to
get through the firewall by default. Since hardly
anything is blocked, there's unlikely to be any
inconvenience to the customer, so the firewall seems
hassle-free.)

From: MM on
On Thu, 06 May 2010 13:38:29 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
wrote:

>Henning wrote:
>> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> skrev i meddelandet

>>> Their servers did finally sync up, and I appear to be in. I think I'll
>>> stick with free, for now.
>>
>> Yepp, but this is what is the bait for me: 2509 Days Text Newsgroup Retention
>
>On which server? At e-s, I show 6043 posts going back to 11/24/09 in
>this group.

Don't forget NewsgroupDirect with around 160,000 posts going back to
2005!

MM
From: MM on
On Thu, 6 May 2010 10:55:55 -0700, "Bob Butler" <noway(a)nospam.ever>
wrote:

>"MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 6 May 2010 07:36:01 -0700, "Bob Butler" <noway(a)nospam.ever>
>> I believe once they have sold it a million times and a million
>> potential customers are making their livelihoods from it, they lose
>> all rights to it. Or at least they lose the right to screw over those
>> million users within just a few years on the pretext of introducing
>> something new that turns out to be incompatible.
>
>I don't believe in punishing somebody for being successful. I don't think
>that MS should have any right to pursue somebody who came out with a
>source-compatible VB replacement given that they have abandoned it, but the
>VB6 compiler is their property and no matter how many people want it it is
>still their property.

Okay, you would allow a source-compatible VB replacement, so I'd go
with that if that was the best offer on the table.

MM
From: MM on
On Thu, 06 May 2010 14:33:56 -0400, GS <GS(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Bob Butler pretended :
>> "MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> On Thu, 6 May 2010 07:36:01 -0700, "Bob Butler" <noway(a)nospam.ever>
>>> I believe once they have sold it a million times and a million
>>> potential customers are making their livelihoods from it, they lose
>>> all rights to it. Or at least they lose the right to screw over those
>>> million users within just a few years on the pretext of introducing
>>> something new that turns out to be incompatible.
>>
>> I don't believe in punishing somebody for being successful. I don't think
>> that MS should have any right to pursue somebody who came out with a
>> source-compatible VB replacement given that they have abandoned it, but the
>> VB6 compiler is their property and no matter how many people want it it is
>> still their property.
>
>I agree that the VB compiler is their 'property'. But that doesn't mean
>they have to squander it if not using it; -they could sell it or even
>donate it for the betterment of all. Hey.., maybe that qualifies it as
>good criteria for a tax write off for the Gates Foundatation!<g>

Yep, the only things stopping Microsoft from selling the VB source
code is their extremely large head and their fit of pique. They would
lose NOthing from making the source code available and would probably
gain an enormous amount of good faith, something that has been sorely
lacking down One Microsoft Way for a decade. Mind you, they would also
be tacitly admitting defeat with VB.Net, and that would stick in their
craw forever.

MM
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40
Prev: Localized Date
Next: Check if String has a number