From: Karl E. Peterson on
GS wrote:
>> It has been pointed out to me that MS also dropped NNTP support in Win7
>> (Outlook Express). -mhd
>
> Afaict: Windows Live Mail has a hybrid of Outlook Express, M$ Outlook, and
> Live Messenger 'under the hood'. Seems that they just gave it a new face and
> tacked on the Passport requirement. Doesn't require any special sign-on to
> get news; -works same as OE <IMO>.

It seems very similar, but I'm sick and tired of their games. In
particular, I don't like that their readers will delete posts from the
store when they expire on the attached server. Here's the one I've
settled on, which is everything OE *could* have been, and more:

http://www.mesnews.net/gb/chargement.php

> As for the content of this thread:
> I for one am most grateful to have been able to learn and grow in my VB6
> development endeavors through reading the posts in this NG. Y'all will be
> sadly missed for sure. Please know that my sincere thanks goes out to so many
> of y'all for the amazing amount of help your posts have been. You may not
> know the extent of this since I tend to only ask Qs when I can't find answers
> already posted here.
>
> Sadly, I feel I still have such a very long way to go yet and I fear losing
> contact with many of you may be too much to bear. I hope a new location can
> be established to keep Classic VB alive and well for some time yet. Just a
> thought.., but how hard would it be for you, Karl, to host a forum on your
> website? May sound daunting but your site is one of the reasons that I got
> hooked on VB6 and so just seems to be the right place if your ISP supports
> nntp. Anyway, -just a thought (however wishful it may be!).

I'd like to, but I'm really not in a position to mirror usenet. (I'm
not going to set up my own web forums, because I wouldn't have the
patience to use them myself! <g>) I don't have a problem running a
private newsserver, but turning it public just becomes a bit of an
ordeal, I'm afraid.

At any rate, I do think there are very viable options out there to
continue this (and related) community. In fact, I'll probably try to
get some linkage, and a little bit of commentary, going in a few
places.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Henning on

"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> skrev i meddelandet
> Henning wrote:
>> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> skrev i meddelandet

>>> Yeah, I even logged in (on the web) and "changed" my password. No go
>>> over nntp.
>>
>> Mailed their support last night (in europe), and today it's working.
>> Guess I will get me some payed4 account at giganews, who have very long
>> times hosting msgs, several years. For text only groups, the cheapest is
>> good enough 5 GB/mo $4.99.
>
> Their servers did finally sync up, and I appear to be in. I think I'll
> stick with free, for now.
>
> --
> .NET: It's About Trust!
> http://vfred.mvps.org

Yepp, but this is what is the bait for me: 2509 Days Text Newsgroup
Retention

/Henning

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Henning wrote:
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> skrev i meddelandet
>> Henning wrote:
>>> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> skrev i meddelandet

>>> Mailed their support last night (in europe), and today it's working. Guess
>>> I will get me some payed4 account at giganews, who have very long times
>>> hosting msgs, several years. For text only groups, the cheapest is good
>>> enough 5 GB/mo $4.99.
>>
>> Their servers did finally sync up, and I appear to be in. I think I'll
>> stick with free, for now.
>
> Yepp, but this is what is the bait for me: 2509 Days Text Newsgroup Retention

On which server? At e-s, I show 6043 posts going back to 11/24/09 in
this group.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: dpb on
Karl E. Peterson wrote:
> dpb wrote:
>> Karl E. Peterson wrote:
>>
>>> I'm using MesNews these days. But I couldn't even log in with telnet...

>> I think now I recall that it did take a while from the initial receipt
>> of account authentication e-mail before the 'bot updated the login
>> registry database there...I'll bet if you try again today it'll work.
>
> Yep! :-)

Yeah, sorry I didn't recall that yesterday -- it came to me in the
middle of the night sometime for some reason...as is per usual. :(

BTW, I think most of the time if they can solve the issue w/o response
they'll do so--in this case, of course, we know what the problem is now
(after the fact).

I don't know how their financial model works but afaict they do super
job for a free service. I have in the past made a small donation but
it's been a while; maybe this discussion is incentive to do one this
year, again, too...

From: Henning on

> Henning wrote:
>> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> skrev i meddelandet

>>> Their servers did finally sync up, and I appear to be in. I think I'll
>>> stick with free, for now.
>>
>> Yepp, but this is what is the bait for me: 2509 Days Text Newsgroup
>> Retention
>
> On which server? At e-s, I show 6043 posts going back to 11/24/09 in this
> group.
>
> --
> .NET: It's About Trust!
> http://vfred.mvps.org

On Giganews.com. That 2509 days means they keep text group msgs fo 6.87
years!!
For text only postings one needs only the cheepest $3/m 3 GB account.

/Henning

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
Prev: Localized Date
Next: Check if String has a number