From: GS on

> All very fair comment.
>
> Thinking, as I occasionally still do, about Microsoft's handling of
> classic Visual Basic, I would demand (were I American) of any future
> presidential candidate a new law that made it mandatory for any
> software company to provide support for 50 years once a certain number
> of the product had been sold, e.g. one million. And I would further
> make it the law that ALL the source code would have to be held in
> escrow in case the company went out of business. And further yet, if
> the company went bankrupt and no one came forward to buy the escrowed
> source code, it would be turned into open source.
>
> Yeah, I'd vote for someone who did something like that.
>
> MM

Fat chance we'll ever see that!<g> I'd follow suit, though (were I
Amaerican).

GS

From: Henning on

"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> skrev i meddelandet
> Henning wrote:

>>> I just created an account with them, and all appeared to be going well.
>>> Until I tried logging in. The credentials are being rejected. Do you
>>> know if they're having problems at the moment?
>>
>> Same thing happened to me... I can login to my personal page, but not to
>> the newsserver. :((
>
> Yeah, I even logged in (on the web) and "changed" my password. No go over
> nntp.
>
> --
> .NET: It's About Trust!
> http://vfred.mvps.org

Mailed their support last night (in europe), and today it's working. Guess I
will get me some payed4 account at giganews, who have very long times
hosting msgs, several years. For text only groups, the cheapest is good
enough 5 GB/mo $4.99.

/Henning

From: Phill W. on
On 06/05/2010 02:44, Karl E. Peterson wrote:

>> Well I would never use Outlook Express either (I use Agent), but the
>> point is maybe MS knew a long time ago the writing was on the wall for
>> their commitment to nntp based groups and this has been in the works
>> for a quite a while.

They don't own it, they don't control it => they don't want it.
So, once again, they set out to replace it with something "better". For
whom? I've no idea.

Our Friends in Redmond would far rather have us all using their software
running from their servers (and, eventually, Paying Through the Cloud
for the privilege) and tying us down, yet again, to a /proprietary/ mode
of operation that doesn't follow published industry standards.
And, just to add insult to injury, once we're all Happy, Shiny People on
their Fora, we'll be exposed to all the web-based "nastiness" that's out
there. Every other week we get more and more security fixes for our
browsers but just how the H*** /do/ you catch a virus or get otherwise
"hacked" via Usenet??? (OK; ignore the alt.binaries hierarchy for a
minute).

Regards,
Phill W.
From: Phill W. on
On 06/05/2010 07:14, MM wrote:
> On Wed, 5 May 2010 18:54:59 +0100, "Mike Williams"
> <Mike(a)WhiskeyAndCoke.com> wrote:

>> "Larry Serflaten"<serflaten(a)usinternet.com> wrote in message

>> In fact I've decided to go along with MM's suggestion and move to
>> comp.lang.basic.visual.misc on 1st June, completely ditching this group.
>> That's what I'm going to do. Somehow, I'll feel much better moving of
>> my own volition before the Micro$oft control freaks close it.

> Hey! Good idea!
>
> 1st June, everyone! ------> comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
>
> MM

I'll be there. We'll have a Party - bring a bottle.

We can toast Our Friends in Redmond from a moderator-free, safe distance.

Hmmm...

OK, Geography might be a /bit/ of an issue on the Party front.

You'd probably have to drink the bottle yourself ...

By yourself ...

Hmmm...

/Maybe/ not such a Good Idea?

*Nah!!*

Bring a /big/ bottle! Just think of the /mind-boggling/ code you'll
create after downing it!

Code Generation and Plausible Deniability, all in one go. ;-))

Regards,
Phill W.
From: Paul Clement on
On Wed, 5 May 2010 19:09:13 +0100, "Mike Williams" <Mike(a)WhiskeyAndCoke.com> wrote:

� > Try jumping to the web forums instead:
� > http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/visualbasic

� Why don't you try jumping off a cliff, Clement. All those forums at the link
� you posted specifically state they are not for VB6.

Not really Mike. You can post to the Visual Basic Interop and Upgrade forum where I and others can
help you with your Visual Basic .NET migration path.

�You are a waste of good
� bandwidth, Clement, and (as usual) you are about as useful as a chocolate
� teapot. Why don't you just pack it all in and take up something you might be
� good at, perhaps doing something with sheep.

Thanks for the suggestion Mike but I'm just fine. Remember nobody is beyond help, not even you. It's
never too late for you to learn something new.

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
Prev: Localized Date
Next: Check if String has a number