From: Karl E. Peterson on
Auric__ wrote:
> On Tue, 04 May 2010 22:08:23 GMT, Karl E. Peterson wrote:
>
>> The final insult they had left to deliver...
>>
>> Q: When will this transition be complete?
>>
>> A: Microsoft is closing newsgroups in phases and anticipates completing
>> this by Fall 2010.
>>
>> Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Communities
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx
>
> Could always move back to the comp.lang.basic.* hierarchy.

The real difficulty there is that most ISPs don't offer news servers
anymore. We should probably spawn another thread on the best free
options out there. There are some, and most are flakey in one way or
another.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: David Kaye on
"Larry Serflaten" <serflaten(a)usinternet.com> wrote:

>We would still need someone to provide 'free' access. I doubt my
>provider offers NNTP, and from the sound of things, many other
>major players are letting go also....

Eternal September provides free access. There are others as well. And even
the paid ones aren't very expensive. If people are really really into these
discussions they should be willing to fork over at least a little money to
help support them.

From: David Kaye on
dpb <none(a)non.net> wrote:

>I'd suggest giving them a go again before throwing in the towel
>entirely. I've been using new.eternal-september.org for over a year and
>don't see anything to dislike (other than retention period, perhaps, but
>one can always take other alternatives if need be for that purpose).

I agree. I also note that they accepted the control message when
ba.broadcast.moderated was started 8 months ago and added them to their list
(which Google Groups still hasn't done).
From: Karl E. Peterson on
Larry Serflaten wrote:
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote
>> The final insult they had left to deliver...
>>
>> Q: When will this transition be complete?
>>
>> A: Microsoft is closing newsgroups in phases and anticipates completing
>> this by Fall 2010.
>
> <quote>
> The move to an online forums application for community support has many
> benefits. Perhaps most appealing is the notion that "we own the app".
> </quote>
>
> What a brazen attempt to pass their dominate everything ideology off as a
> benefit to users!

Yep, that was the sentence that burned to the core, as I read it too.
They're taking a page right out of Facebook's (ummm) book, here.

> Microsoft is as Microsoft does....

F*CK MICROSOFT!!! (Someone had to say it...)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Karl E. Peterson on
C. Kevin Provance wrote:
> Devs like Inno have their own newsgroups. What would be involved with doing
> something along those lines and moderating it ourselves?

A server with good bandwidth. But it's a mess. Far better to hope the
peered system that's already in place would keep the groups alive. And
there is precendence there, even within the microsoft.public.*
hierarchy. They have tried to "remove" groups before, to no avail.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Prev: Localized Date
Next: Check if String has a number