From: Paul Clement on
On Tue, 4 May 2010 22:20:01 -0400, "C. Kevin Provance" <*@*.*> wrote:

� That article seems to imply there will be an alternative. Would they really devote resources to moving this group?

For some newsgroups there will be a replacement, but I cannot confirm or deny whether there will be
an equivalent for Classic VB.

� I did notice recently this particular newsgroup can be accessed via the www, through the MSFT web site. Let's say, just for chuckles, MSFT gives VB6 it's own forum, and is moderated by folks like Clement and McCarthy. Would any of you participate?

I'm not a moderator in the MSDN forums so that would be up to MVP and Microsoft Moderators. I think
there are a few VB MVPs that are also moderators.

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
From: Dee Earley on
On 05/05/2010 13:56, Paul Clement wrote:
> On Tue, 4 May 2010 19:43:51 -0400, "Claire"<replyto(a)fra> wrote:
>
> � What about my goal to become MVP?
> � I am going to jump off the cliff :(
> � Claire
>
> Try jumping to the web forums instead:
>
> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/visualbasic

All conspicuously include "...but NOT for questions about VB6."

> If you still want to use your news reader Microsoft just released a new version of the Forums NNTP
> Bridge:
>
> https://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums/Downloads

Note that you need a .net passport and "sign up" to the nntp bridge at:
https://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=927

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)
From: dpb on
MM wrote:

> And anyway, can't anyone just start up a new group? I've never done
> it, but new groups are appearing all the time, so it can't be all that
> difficult to do. In a way, I'd prefer to be independent of Microsoft,
> since we know they cannot be trusted since the VB fiasco.
>
> MM

<http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/creating-newsgroups/part1/>

There's definite protocol for a "Big-8" group creation; the process is
similar but not as formalized/stringent for the alt.*, etc., hierarchies.

I'm assuming the microsoft.* groups were simply formed by MS on their
own server but since it's an open server it is mirrored by many. As
long as the other servers don't actively drop their groups as well
simply using a different newsfeed that does mirror the group will, as
far as any individual will notice, let the group(s) go on undisturbed.

The only real differences would be retention period which is, as
somebody else noted, different for each server and MS does pretty good
spam filtering on their server; others are more or less capable in that
regard.

There's no need to panic iow...

From: Cor Ligthert[MVP] on
>> Try jumping to the web forums instead:
>>
>> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/visualbasic
>
> All conspicuously include "...but NOT for questions about VB6."

Yes I've showed endless persons this newsgroup
From: Mayayana on

-- | I'm assuming the microsoft.* groups were simply formed by MS on their
| own server but since it's an open server it is mirrored by many. As
| long as the other servers don't actively drop their groups as well
| simply using a different newsfeed that does mirror the group will, as
| far as any individual will notice, let the group(s) go on undisturbed.

But don't you think that MS would pressure them
to drop the groups? They want to control their
forum, to bathe it in a marinade of marketing hype,
and to get a Windows Live tracking collar onto all
participants. It's actually a rather brilliant scheme:
One giant focus group / sales pitch where vast customer
data can be collected and marketing can be slipped in,
disguised as 3rd-party opinions....with total control over
dissenting opinions.

I don't imagine that MS will just stand by, therefore,
if other servers keep hosting the newsgroups.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Prev: Localized Date
Next: Check if String has a number