From: Karl E. Peterson on
dpb wrote:
> Karl E. Peterson wrote:
>> Henning wrote:
>>> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> skrev ...

>>> Same thing happened to me... I can login to my personal page, but not to
>>> the newsserver. :((
>>
>> Yeah, I even logged in (on the web) and "changed" my password. No go over
>> nntp.
>
> I've had no trouble at any time all day today.
>
> What are you using as a client? I've been using Thunderbird and it was
> totally painless as far as I can recall when initially signed up. It's been
> long enough ago now I don't recall anything peculiar having to had to do...

I'm using MesNews these days. But I couldn't even log in with
telnet...

C:\>telnet news.eternal-september.org 119

200 news.eternal-september.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.6.0
(20100424 snapshot) ready (posting ok)
authinfo user karlpeterson
381 Enter password
authinfo pass *********
481 Invalid credentials
quit
205 Bye!

Connection to host lost.

C:\>

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Karl E. Peterson on
-mhd wrote:
> Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote:
>
>> -mhd wrote:
>>> It has been pointed out to me that MS also dropped NNTP support in Win7
>>> (Outlook Express). -mhd
>
>> They did, yes. Which prompted me to discover a far superior tool -
>> what OE always should've been! Try MesNews, if you feel so inclined.
>> :-)
>
> Well I would never use Outlook Express either (I use Agent), but the point is
> maybe MS knew a long time ago the writing was on the wall for their
> commitment to nntp based groups and this has been in the works for a quite a
> while.

It has. They've been trying to figure it out for over a decade now.
They still don't really understand usenet at all.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: dpb on
Karl E. Peterson wrote:
> dpb wrote:
>> Karl E. Peterson wrote:

>>> Yeah, I even logged in (on the web) and "changed" my password. No go
>>> over nntp.
>>
>> I've had no trouble at any time all day today.
>>
>> What are you using as a client? I've been using Thunderbird and it
>> was totally painless as far as I can recall when initially signed up.
>> It's been long enough ago now I don't recall anything peculiar having
>> to had to do...
>
> I'm using MesNews these days. But I couldn't even log in with telnet...
>
> C:\>telnet news.eternal-september.org 119

Hmmm...did you check the FAQ page for any specific client hints? Altho
that telnet result is peculiar indeed.

I believe support(a)eternal-september.org is a working address that will
get a response if no joy otherwise.

Let's see....looking at the host info in Thunderbird I see it's using
the encrypted portal Port 563. Might give that a go just for grins...

It's so seamless afaict I don't recall anything peculiar at all, other
than there is a box to check in T-bird for "send authentication" w/o
which it doesn't automagically. That isn't telnet's problem, of course.

From: dpb on
Karl E. Peterson wrote:

> They still don't really understand usenet at all.

Which raises the question...what _DO_ they understand???

:)

From: Mayayana on
What about news.aioe.org that was mentioned
earlier? That seems to be a no-nonsense service
that doesn't require signing up. According to their
main page one can just point a newsreader at
their server.

I currently have newsgroup service with my
ISP, but it might be nice to get set up with a
very basic service and not have to think about it.
If they're providing free service then I don't see
why I should need to open an account of any kind
with them.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Prev: Localized Date
Next: Check if String has a number