From: Mike Williams on
"Cor Ligthert[MVP]" <Notmyfirstname(a)planet.nl> wrote in message

>> Well that lets you out, Clement. You are a waste of good bandwidth and
>> about as useful as a chocolate teapot!
>>
> I'm full respect of those who despite of you and some of your friends were
> able to keep this newsgroup in the air.

Like who? Clement do you mean? He has been of almost no help at all to
anyone asking questions on this group, and neither have you.

Mike

From: MM on
On Wed, 05 May 2010 09:23:28 +0100, MM <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>On Wed, 05 May 2010 06:51:12 +0100, MM <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 5 May 2010 01:21:07 +0200, "Henning"
>><computer_hero(a)coldmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>"Mike Williams" <Mike(a)WhiskeyAndCoke.com> skrev i meddelandet

>>>Moving to c.l.b.v.m will be easy, but what happens to all older posts in
>>>this group? Will they still be available on some mirrors?
>>
>>Well, I've just fired up XNews and this group m.p.v.g.d contains
>>34,406 headers. It looks like the earliest date on Astraweb is 10 Sep
>>2008, so it wouldn't be possible to go back farther.
>>
>>Right, since I wrote that, I've downloaded all 34,406 headers and
>>saved the header file, which is a little over 10mb.
>
>I've converted the headers to an Access 97 mdb, which is available
>(zipped) here for anyone who is curious:
>http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/m-p-v-g-d.zip
>
>The bodies are taking a little longer to download, because XNews keeps
>barfing over overly-long subject lines (e.g. spammers trying to flog
>their wares).

Since this morning I have downloaded all the bodies,too. 26mb, zipped.
Not a lot for 20 months of activity, I suppose.

Largest ms group is microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (159871
messages).

Largest ms vb group by far is this one. Most of the other ms vb groups
are tiny.

Stop press: I've just noticed that NewsgroupDirect has a MUCH longer
retention. Its microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion goes back to
10th March 2005. The newsgroup contains 168044 messages, i.e. 4.8
times as many as on Astraweb. Archive that little lot and one really
~would~ have a pretty useful 'wayback machine' of one's own! Trouble
is, I only have a free 1gb per month account with NewsgroupDirect.
(However, anyone can sign up for the free account, which is open-ended
and renews on the 1st of each month.) Zen, my actual ISP, just
announced that it is doubling the monthly download capacity from 1st
June, so I will thereafter have a massive 50gb per month to play with!

MM
From: Jeff Johnson on
"-mhd" <not_real(a)invalid.com> wrote in message

> It has been pointed out to me that MS also dropped NNTP support in Win7
> (Outlook Express).

Outlook Express was dropped in Vista in favor of Windows Mail.

From: Claire on
I am sorry but jumping off the cliff is reserved by me.
Claire

From: Helmut Meukel on
"Jeff Johnson" <i.get(a)enough.spam> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> "-mhd" <not_real(a)invalid.com> wrote in message
>
>> It has been pointed out to me that MS also dropped NNTP support in Win7
>> (Outlook Express).
>
> Outlook Express was dropped in Vista in favor of Windows Mail.

And Windows Mail was dropped in Windows 7

Helmut.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
Prev: Localized Date
Next: Check if String has a number