From: -mhd on
Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote:

>The final insult they had left to deliver...
>
>Q: When will this transition be complete?
>
>A: Microsoft is closing newsgroups in phases and anticipates completing
>this by Fall 2010.
>
>Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Communities
>http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx

It has been pointed out to me that MS also dropped NNTP support in Win7 (Outlook Express).
-mhd
From: Karl E. Peterson on
C. Kevin Provance wrote:
> So, c'mon Karl...you're like a top dog here. Where will you go next?

Thanks, no, that's not a position I'd care to accept. :-)

I'll probably look for a free provider, and watch to see if this
hierarchy goes away (I really don't think it will), but also start
reading (again) the comp.lang.* hierarchy to see if movement goes that
direction.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Phill W. wrote:
> Personally, I detest Forums, simply because they're /so/ inefficient to
> browse through. With Thunderbird I can easily get 40+ threads in a single
> window and can scan over them with ease to find any that I might be able to
> help with. How many can you see at once with any of these waffly, webby,
> Forum things?

Yep, that's why I won't use them. They are to inefficiency what
steroids are to performance. You get the kissasses with nothing better
to do providing "answers" and no one else really bothers. Why would
they? As you say, there's no reciprocity there. You can't browse
them, as you can these groups, gaining bits and pieces here and there.
It's all about the culture of *greed*, and it will devolve into only
the paid answer providers providing any answers at all.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Karl E. Peterson on
-mhd wrote:
> Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote:
>
>> The final insult they had left to deliver...
>>
>> Q: When will this transition be complete?
>>
>> A: Microsoft is closing newsgroups in phases and anticipates completing
>> this by Fall 2010.
>>
>> Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Communities
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx
>
> It has been pointed out to me that MS also dropped NNTP support in Win7
> (Outlook Express). -mhd

They did, yes. Which prompted me to discover a far superior tool -
what OE always should've been! Try MesNews, if you feel so inclined.
:-)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Karl E. Peterson on
David Kaye wrote:
> "Larry Serflaten" <serflaten(a)usinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> We would still need someone to provide 'free' access. I doubt my
>> provider offers NNTP, and from the sound of things, many other
>> major players are letting go also....
>
> Eternal September provides free access. There are others as well.

I just created an account with them, and all appeared to be going well.
Until I tried logging in. The credentials are being rejected. Do you
know if they're having problems at the moment?

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Prev: Localized Date
Next: Check if String has a number