From: dpb on
Mayayana wrote:
> -- | I'm assuming the microsoft.* groups were simply formed by MS on their
> | own server but since it's an open server it is mirrored by many. As
> | long as the other servers don't actively drop their groups as well
> | simply using a different newsfeed that does mirror the group will, as
> | far as any individual will notice, let the group(s) go on undisturbed.
> |

> But don't you think that MS would pressure them
> to drop the groups? They want to control their
> forum, to bathe it in a marinade of marketing hype,
> and to get a Windows Live tracking collar onto all
> participants. It's actually a rather brilliant scheme:
> One giant focus group / sales pitch where vast customer
> data can be collected and marketing can be slipped in,
> disguised as 3rd-party opinions....with total control over
> dissenting opinions.
>
> I don't imagine that MS will just stand by, therefore,
> if other servers keep hosting the newsgroups.

usenet is totally outside MS's purvue--once it's out there in nntp space
there is nothing whatsoever they can do about it. They can, of course,
drop their own server farm (which they are doing) but what's out of the
barn is out for good.

From: Larry Serflaten on

"MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote

> Why don't we all just agree to switch over to
> comp.lang.basic.visual.misc on a certain date to be announced? You'd
> need a switchover date, and repeated reminders in here beforehand, so
> that people got the message. I suggest a switchover date of 1st June
> 2010.

We would still need someone to provide 'free' access. I doubt my
provider offers NNTP, and from the sound of things, many other
major players are letting go also....

LFS

From: Larry Serflaten on

"MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote

> >Sounds like DevX all over again :)
> >(For those that remember it)
>
> But at least I kept all the CD-ROMs! I have them from September 1997
> to November 2000

Did you harvest topics from the Off Ramp? It might be interesting to
re-live those old arguments!

<g>
LFS

From: dpb on
Larry Serflaten wrote:
> "MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote
>
>> Why don't we all just agree to switch over to
>> comp.lang.basic.visual.misc on a certain date to be announced? You'd
>> need a switchover date, and repeated reminders in here beforehand, so
>> that people got the message. I suggest a switchover date of 1st June
>> 2010.
>
> We would still need someone to provide 'free' access. I doubt my
> provider offers NNTP, and from the sound of things, many other
> major players are letting go also....

There are a number of free newsservers -- I've been using
news.eternal-september.org for quite a while now. I've not logged onto
the MS server in years altho have a connection setup in the newsreader
there's never any reason to use it rather than monitoring all groups I
follow thru the one connection.

Another is news.aioe.org

From: Helmut Meukel on
"dpb" <none(a)non.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Mayayana wrote:
>> -- | I'm assuming the microsoft.* groups were simply formed by MS on their
>> | own server but since it's an open server it is mirrored by many. As
>> | long as the other servers don't actively drop their groups as well
>> | simply using a different newsfeed that does mirror the group will, as
>> | far as any individual will notice, let the group(s) go on undisturbed.
>> |

>> But don't you think that MS would pressure them
>> to drop the groups? They want to control their
>> forum, to bathe it in a marinade of marketing hype,
>> and to get a Windows Live tracking collar onto all
>> participants. It's actually a rather brilliant scheme:
>> One giant focus group / sales pitch where vast customer
>> data can be collected and marketing can be slipped in,
>> disguised as 3rd-party opinions....with total control over
>> dissenting opinions.
>>
>> I don't imagine that MS will just stand by, therefore,
>> if other servers keep hosting the newsgroups.
>
> usenet is totally outside MS's purvue--once it's out there in nntp space there
> is nothing whatsoever they can do about it. They can, of course, drop their
> own server farm (which they are doing) but what's out of the barn is out for
> good.
>
> --

The name microsoft is their property. They can insist not using it in the
news group name, Can't they?

Helmut.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Prev: Localized Date
Next: Check if String has a number