From: Mayayana on
: Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Communities
: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx

That article seems to imply there will be an alternative. Would they really
devote resources to moving this group?

I think the migration is only for "supported" products.
For some time now Microsoft has been pushing people
in the .Net group to move over to the web forums. But
there isn't a VB group there. Even if there were, web
forums are difficult to use and difficult to read. Web pages
are just not a good medium for discussion. And then of
course there's the MS moderation problem. Moderation
would be bad enough, but from what I've seen it looks
like most things Microsoft: one part tech and 2 parts sales.

I wonder about all of the parasite "forums" that repost
NNTP posts as their own. They won't have any more
content.

I'll also miss a number of other groups. I've been
subscribed to vbscript, msi, wmi, and shell. I don't
actually subscribe to any non-MS groups at present.
And I don't actually know anyone who cares at all
about how PCs work. These groups are my only contact
with other people doing programming, scripting, etc.

I guess that if the lights go out here I'll go over
to comp.lang.basic.visual.misc and see if anyone
shows up.

From: MM on
On Wed, 5 May 2010 00:03:00 +0100, "Mike Williams"
<Mike(a)WhiskeyAndCoke.com> wrote:

>"Bob Butler" <noway(a)nospam.ever> wrote in message
>
>>> Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Communities
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx
>>
>> I like "make it easier for contributors to retain their influence" and
>> 'Perhaps most appealing is the notion that "we own the app"'. Any decent
>> real-VB-only alternatives?
>
>The comp.lang.basic.visual.misc group used to be very busy up until two or
>three years ago. I still check that group every day, but it doesn't get much
>traffic these days. It will probably start to get busy again soon if the
>Micro$oft control freaks go ahead with their plans to ditch this group.

And anyway, can't anyone just start up a new group? I've never done
it, but new groups are appearing all the time, so it can't be all that
difficult to do. In a way, I'd prefer to be independent of Microsoft,
since we know they cannot be trusted since the VB fiasco.

MM
From: MM on
On Wed, 5 May 2010 00:03:00 +0100, "Mike Williams"
<Mike(a)WhiskeyAndCoke.com> wrote:

>"Bob Butler" <noway(a)nospam.ever> wrote in message
>
>>> Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Communities
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx
>>
>> I like "make it easier for contributors to retain their influence" and
>> 'Perhaps most appealing is the notion that "we own the app"'. Any decent
>> real-VB-only alternatives?
>
>The comp.lang.basic.visual.misc group used to be very busy up until two or
>three years ago. I still check that group every day, but it doesn't get much
>traffic these days. It will probably start to get busy again soon if the
>Micro$oft control freaks go ahead with their plans to ditch this group.

Another point I forgot to include: What about archiving this and
similar groups? For instance, I save XNews headers and have written a
little VB prog to convert them into an Access database. These are only
the headers, not the bodies, of course. Perhaps someone could archive
the bodies as well? Who knows how much disk space would be needed (as
an estimate) to archive just this group? And finally, is there not
already a Wayback Machine for Usenet?

MM
From: MM on
On Wed, 5 May 2010 01:21:07 +0200, "Henning"
<computer_hero(a)coldmail.com> wrote:

>"Mike Williams" <Mike(a)WhiskeyAndCoke.com> skrev i meddelandet
>> "Bob Butler" <noway(a)nospam.ever> wrote in message

>>> I like "make it easier for contributors to retain their influence" and
>>> 'Perhaps most appealing is the notion that "we own the app"'. Any decent
>>> real-VB-only alternatives?
>>
>> The comp.lang.basic.visual.misc group used to be very busy up until two or
>> three years ago. I still check that group every day, but it doesn't get
>> much traffic these days. It will probably start to get busy again soon if
>> the Micro$oft control freaks go ahead with their plans to ditch this
>> group.
>>
>> Mike
>>

>Moving to c.l.b.v.m will be easy, but what happens to all older posts in
>this group? Will they still be available on some mirrors?

Well, I've just fired up XNews and this group m.p.v.g.d contains
34,406 headers. It looks like the earliest date on Astraweb is 10 Sep
2008, so it wouldn't be possible to go back farther.

Right, since I wrote that, I've downloaded all 34,406 headers and
saved the header file, which is a little over 10mb. I'm now
downloading ALL the bodies just to see how much data we're talking
about here. (So far I'm at message #1942 and the download folder
contains 4.1mb. Because of the limitation in Windows 98 on the number
of files per folder I'll start a new folder at #5000, #10000 etc.)

MM
From: Nobody on
"Mayayana" <mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> wrote in message
> I wonder about all of the parasite "forums" that repost
> NNTP posts as their own. They won't have any more
> content.

I'd like to see some other archive site other than Google, just in case they
require registration or ID verification just to search their archive at a
future point.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Prev: Localized Date