From: MM on
On Thu, 06 May 2010 12:36:02 -0400, GS <GS(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Have you tried Avast?

Stay away from Avast! I've tried it twice. The second time because I'd
forgotten how pants it was and thought, it can't be that bad, surely?
It's a PITA.

MM
From: MM on
On Thu, 6 May 2010 07:36:01 -0700, "Bob Butler" <noway(a)nospam.ever>
wrote:

>"MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
><cut>
>> Thinking, as I occasionally still do, about Microsoft's handling of
>> classic Visual Basic, I would demand (were I American) of any future
>> presidential candidate a new law that made it mandatory for any
>> software company to provide support for 50 years once a certain number
>> of the product had been sold, e.g. one million. And I would further
>> make it the law that ALL the source code would have to be held in
>> escrow in case the company went out of business. And further yet, if
>> the company went bankrupt and no one came forward to buy the escrowed
>> source code, it would be turned into open source.
>>
>> Yeah, I'd vote for someone who did something like that.
>
>I wouldn't. I'd be completely opposed to anything remotely like what you
>suggest.
>I think MS made a huge mistake dropping VB and I'd love for them to recant
>or sell the rights to somebody else but it's their intellectual property and
>their right to abandon it. IMO it was a major business mistake to do so but
>I'd never want to try to force them to either continue it or release it
>except through market forces.

I believe once they have sold it a million times and a million
potential customers are making their livelihoods from it, they lose
all rights to it. Or at least they lose the right to screw over those
million users within just a few years on the pretext of introducing
something new that turns out to be incompatible.

MM
From: Helmut Meukel on
"Helmut Meukel" <NoSpam(a)NoProvider.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> "dpb" <none(a)non.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> MM wrote:
>>
>>> Thinking, as I occasionally still do, about Microsoft's handling of
>>> classic Visual Basic, I would demand (were I American) of any future
>>> presidential candidate a new law that made it mandatory for any
>>> software company to provide support for 50 years once a certain number
>>> of the product had been sold, e.g. one million. And I would further
>>> make it the law that ALL the source code would have to be held in
>>> escrow in case the company went out of business. And further yet, if
>>> the company went bankrupt and no one came forward to buy the escrowed
>>> source code, it would be turned into open source.
>>
>> Have you had any candidates on that side of the pond propose such a policy?
>> :)
>>
>> --
>

> The Pirates Party, founded in some european countries before the last
> EU election. For free internet ...
>
> Helmut.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_Party

Helmut.

From: Bob Butler on

> On Thu, 6 May 2010 07:36:01 -0700, "Bob Butler" <noway(a)nospam.ever>
> I believe once they have sold it a million times and a million
> potential customers are making their livelihoods from it, they lose
> all rights to it. Or at least they lose the right to screw over those
> million users within just a few years on the pretext of introducing
> something new that turns out to be incompatible.

I don't believe in punishing somebody for being successful. I don't think
that MS should have any right to pursue somebody who came out with a
source-compatible VB replacement given that they have abandoned it, but the
VB6 compiler is their property and no matter how many people want it it is
still their property.

From: GS on
MM wrote :
> On Thu, 06 May 2010 12:36:02 -0400, GS <GS(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Have you tried Avast?
>
> Stay away from Avast! I've tried it twice. The second time because I'd
> forgotten how pants it was and thought, it can't be that bad, surely?
> It's a PITA.
>
> MM

Can you define "pants"? (It's not a term I'm familiar with!)

I've had no issues with using it, but that's because all the machines I
have running it have been manually configured as discussed earlier. I
do know folks that use it 'out-of-the-box' on 'out-of-the-box' OSs that
aren't having any issues either. Since I respect your opinion, I'm
hoping you're going to tell me something about it that I should be
aware of.

Garry

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
Prev: Localized Date
Next: Check if String has a number