From: Martin Brown on
Benj wrote:
> On Sep 17, 3:45 am, Martin Brown <|||newspam...(a)nezumi.demon.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> The net is swamped with delusional right wing nutters and Young Earth
>> Creationists pretending all sorts of crazy things and polluting the
>> search engines with fake pages that deliberately mislead. Lunatic claims
>> about suppressed "free" energy machines are in amongst them.
>
>> I blame the US education system or lack of it for this latest increase
>> in conspiracy theories and credulous fools that think the Apollo moon
>> landings were faked. Even the Russians are more certain that it was
>> actually done for real :-(
>
> What the hell? Why are all "nutters" right wing?

Not all "nutters" are right wing it is just that the US ones tend to be
a lot more vociferous on Usenet. Particularly in sci.electronic.design
where there are several senile Neocon wingnuts.

> I guess that tells
> us where you are coming from. Hey Martin, in case you didn't get the
> memo, your "Envy of the World" the Soviet Union crashed and burned

You have no idea about my politics.

> As for the Moon shot, who knows? Maybe the Russians saw the original
> hi res footage, unlike the rest of the world. Of course man going to

They intercepted the US mission telemetry in real time the same way the
US used to do for Russian missions (though the US had to sometimes
borrow Jodrell Bank to do it). At one point it led to a diplomatic
incident when the first picture from the surface of Venus appeared on a
UK newspaper front page before the Russians had been able to decode it
themselves.

> the moon really wasn't all that important an event to worry about some
> old films and tapes. I'd say that some 16mm kinescope recordings ought
> to be good enough, don't you agree? And anyway the people in charge of
> data reduction and archiving really weren't all that smart. I mean,
> they were only ROCKET SCIENTISTS! So please tell me again that you

I guess you have never met any rocket scientists then. Extremely high
intelligence and common sense do not go together. Some bright spark at a
place I once worked had an intern throw away all the old drawings for
kit made ten or more years ago to make space in the archives. When the
gear had a service lifetime of 15-20 years and every one was bespoke it
was utter madness.

> believe all this political bullshit about records being "lost". In my
> experience, the only time records get "lost" by government is to
> protect the guilty. Now the only question that remains is "Guilty of
> what?"

Untrue. We have plenty of old mainframe magtapes that were not
maintained regularly from projects that are long obsolete. If you don't
cycle them and refresh after a while magnetic print through renders them
pretty much unreadable. Lots of archives have similar issues. I have a
few 8" floppy disks with interesting historic stuff on too - but no
reader. Lots of people have cut stuff to CD or DVD only to discover the
media is not as robust as they though and their "archive" was write only
read never. It is astonishing how many people skip the verify step.

Losing the engineering drawings for the Saturn V rocket was a bit bloody
stupid but I see no reason to believe that they didn't work. It would
have been a stunning demonstration of mass hypnosis to fake a Saturn V
launch. Same with the actual Apollo moon landing with the film making
technology of the day going to the moon was easier than faking it.
Besides I have handled the moon rock they brought back - the kit I
worked on was used to date the stuff.

> It's sure you'll be the last one to learn because you aren't even
> asking the right questions let alone looking for answers.
>
> I guess that makes you fat, happy and stooopid.

Go off and make your free energy device and quite whining.

Regards,
Martin Brown
From: Cwatters on

"Michael A. Terrell" <mike.terrell(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Cwatters wrote:
>>
>> "gabydewilde" <gdewilde(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>> >This is not surprising in any way.
>> >
>> >Take democracy, this suggests the country belongs to the people. But
>> >if we look at that what is charged for housing we can only conclude
>> >slavery has been endorsed some how. You see, if the land belongs to
>> >the people (you) then paying exorbitant heaps of cash for this land
>> >doesn't seem to add up.
>>
>> I've yet to meet anyone who had sold their house for less than they were
>> offered for it.
>

> I have. I bought one that needed some repairs to meet VA
> requirements not long after I got out of the Army. The owner didn't have
> the $8,000 to have the work done, so she knocked it off the asking
> price.
> Ii did the repairs for under $2,000 and that saved me over
> $6,000 which was about 25% of the total price.

Knocking something off the price because of a defect is not the same thing
at all, or are you saying you offered to pay the full price regardless of if
she fixed the defect?

Did she tell you about the $20,000 she had knocked off the price before you
even saw the house because of the swimming pool she hadn't yet dug? Would
you have paid her for that as well :-)

From: Michael A. Terrell on

Cwatters wrote:

> "Michael A. Terrell" <mike.terrell(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Cwatters wrote:
> >>
> >> "gabydewilde" <gdewilde(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> I've yet to meet anyone who had sold their house for less than they were
> >> offered for it.
> >

> > I have. I bought one that needed some repairs to meet VA
> > requirements not long after I got out of the Army. The owner didn't have
> > the $8,000 to have the work done, so she knocked it off the asking
> > price.
> > Ii did the repairs for under $2,000 and that saved me over
> > $6,000 which was about 25% of the total price.
> >

> Knocking something off the price because of a defect is not the same thing
> at all, or are you saying you offered to pay the full price regardless of if
> she fixed the defect?

She was told that no loan was available without the repairs. She
couldn't afford to so them. If she had done them, the price of the
house would have gone up at least 50% since it was zoned for business,
and on a busy highway.. You do the math.

> Did she tell you about the $20,000 she had knocked off the price before you
> even saw the house because of the swimming pool she hadn't yet dug? Would
> you have paid her for that as well :-)

I wouldn't want a swimming pool in a house across the street from a
huge elementary school and less than a block from a large middle school.

From: jimp on
In sci.physics Michael A. Terrell <mike.terrell(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

> Cwatters wrote:
>>
>> "Michael A. Terrell" <mike.terrell(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

>> > I have. I bought one that needed some repairs to meet VA
>> > requirements not long after I got out of the Army. The owner didn't have
>> > the $8,000 to have the work done, so she knocked it off the asking
>> > price.
>> > Ii did the repairs for under $2,000 and that saved me over
>> > $6,000 which was about 25% of the total price.
>> >

>> Knocking something off the price because of a defect is not the same thing
>> at all, or are you saying you offered to pay the full price regardless of if
>> she fixed the defect?
>

> She was told that no loan was available without the repairs. She
> couldn't afford to so them. If she had done them, the price of the
> house would have gone up at least 50% since it was zoned for business,
> and on a busy highway.. You do the math.

If that is true, she is stupid.

She could have obtained a short term loan to do the repairs and paid it
back with part of that added 50% on the sales price.

But in any case, "ifs" don't count when determining the sales price of
something.

A thing is worth what it is worth in the condition it is in at the time of
the sale.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
From: Michael A. Terrell on

jimp(a)specsol.spam.sux.com wrote:

> In sci.physics Michael A. Terrell <mike.terrell(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> > Cwatters wrote:
> >>
> >> "Michael A. Terrell" <mike.terrell(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

> >> Knocking something off the price because of a defect is not the same thing
> >> at all, or are you saying you offered to pay the full price regardless of if
> >> she fixed the defect?
> >

> > She was told that no loan was available without the repairs. She
> > couldn't afford to so them. If she had done them, the price of the
> > house would have gone up at least 50% since it was zoned for business,
> > and on a busy highway.. You do the math.
>
> If that is true, she is stupid.
>
> She could have obtained a short term loan to do the repairs and paid it
> back with part of that added 50% on the sales price.
>
> But in any case, "ifs" don't count when determining the sales price of
> something.
>
> A thing is worth what it is worth in the condition it is in at the time of
> the sale.

You think so?

I was the only one who was interested in the property. It had been
on the market for almost six months. The woman had no credit, and was
living on welfare. She had three teenage kids. The realtor didn't even
want to show it to me, because of its condition, inside. If I hadn't
made the offer and bought it, she would have ended up in subsidized
housing. This was 35 years ago, before they gave away money to people
who couldn't pay it back. The realtor wasn't going to re-list the
property. The woman's husband had died two years earlier, and she
hadn't bothered to get it through probate. The house was over 100 years
old and had a lot of broken windows. She showed me one of her utility
bills for over $400. the highest I ever had was under $75, after the
repairs. that included the electricity used by my repair business.

I offered what it was worth to me, but if I had know it was going to
take over six months for the probate, I would have kept looking and
bought something else.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Prev: ECL logic SPICE models
Next: B&K 4007DDS sweep generator