First  |  Prev |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90
delete locked 'boot.efi' file?
i don't really know how this happened, but i have a locked file called 'boot.efi' on a secondary drive used for storage in my mac. this drive doesn't have a system installed on it... i don't know what this file does, and whether it is important to the system software (or anything else). i do know that my system... 16 Oct 2009 03:06
Impending doom or minor annoyance
A couple of days ago, I noted that I was having problems with my printer that was fixed by running Disk Util and taking care of permissions. Next two days same problem and same fix. Today I tried to do a Super Duper at it would not run either until I fixed permissions. Any ideas as to how worried I should ... 13 Oct 2009 09:56
Rant: A Nasty Bit of Windows in Snow Leopard
Davoud wrote: [rantage snipped] I use a Keyspan 4-Port USB-to-Serial Adapter in my tiny astronomical observatory. Since I installed Snow Leopard, each time I plug in my USB hub a nag box pops up with the message "New network interfaces have been detected. The following network interfaces have not b... 11 Oct 2009 00:45
Apple's 24" LED display
I have to buy a new monitor and, LEDs being a relatively new technology, I was willing to shell out more. $899 for an Apple display seemed quite reasonable. Then a friend suggested I take a wider look on the net. Here's what it looks like: LG W2486L Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor ... 13 Oct 2009 14:26
Can't Create DVD Images
Suddenly I'm unable to create DVD disk images with Disk Utility. I've done it before but now Disk Utility reads from the DVD for a long time, usually getting well past halfway through and then stops with the message "Unable to create ABC.dmg - input/output Error." I'm running OS X 10.11.4. I used a Mem... 4 Oct 2009 14:21
Finder periodically plagued with SBBOD for no reason.
SBBOD = Spinning Beach Ball of Death Could someone who understands MacOS X internals please explain to me why the finder needs to wait for an external Firewire drive to spin up to: 1. Open an app from the doc. (sbbod until the FW drive spins up) 2. Quit an app via right clicking the dock icon of the app. (... 23 Sep 2009 15:34
Gear Head Web Cam WC8301 help?
I recently bought a Gear Head Web Cam WC8301 for a Mac. It did not come with a manual or software. The web site does not have a download for the manual. It sloughs off software by saying that the system already has the drivers. The best I have been able to do so far is to use iChat. Is there any place that migh... 13 Sep 2009 00:59
What is this?... Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.
I just used Disk Utility to Repair Disk. It said that the volume appears to be OK. But then it added,"Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required." I've never seen that before. What does it mean? If i just do a Verify Disk, it says the disk appears to be OK but doesn't add the bit about ... 13 Sep 2009 18:21
10.6.1 is out already
Software update. Small file, fixes a few issues -- m-m http://www.mhmyers.com ... 10 Sep 2009 16:57
help: Numbers iWork Formulas and Functions help - HVURLHandlerErrorDomain error 1002
My iWork/Numbers installation seems to have trouble: I cannot access its iWork Formulas and Functions help, it fails with the message: The operation couldn�t be completed. (HVURLHandlerErrorDomain error 1002.) Any ideas to get that working again? I have already repaired my disk permissions, verified the disk a... 11 Sep 2009 00:45