From: Leythos on
In article <#5xPjjs0KHA.4420(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, russval(a)mvps.org
says...

> As I said, your opinion has been duly noted. Your reply certainly explains
> why you are confused and more than a little behind the times:
> 1. In fact, rules do transfer with the PST file. Exporting Rules separately
> is no longer necessary.

Then why did you bring it up, and I thought we were covering all
versions from 97 forward...

> 2. Date modified is the relevant field for emails. It is changed by
> importing.

I can't recall looking at anything other than READ status, UNREAD status
and the date/time it showed up in my inbox, and that date/time is
imported fine in outlook from outlook.

> 3. Since you don't know what Activities are, they are links to other Outlook
> Items for any given Contact Record within an information store. They are
> broken when you export and import.

Great to know - how many people, as a %, do you think this impacts?

> 4. Appointments are imported, but they lose their connection to the Calendar
> view when you import a PST file.

> 5. You appear to have no idea what the Outlook Address Book is. It is
> not just another of the standard views of the Contacts Folder. It is a
> separate MAPI view of electronic addresses pulled from the Contacts
> Folder. Users rely upon it heavily when sending messages. It is
> irreparably broken when you import a PST file.

Strange, other than the nicknames auto populate, I've not seen a problem
with typing a recipients name and clicking SEND or Check Names and
having it work just fine - seems to search the contacts just fine.

> I've wasted far more time in this reply than I have available. Believe
> whatever you want. Just don't lead other users astray.Let the end users
> decide for themselves what they want to do. Thank you for contributing your
> opinion to the discussion.

You didn't need to think this was a snit or something, but the things
you've mentioned don't seem to be a major factor for most people, at
least not the ones I deal with across 80 companies.

Trust yourself.
From: Leythos on
In article <E5999A28-F759-4F4D-ACF1-A38E11FE92AB(a)microsoft.com>,
outlookmvp(a)msn.com says...
> >> 9. Link between Contacts and the address book view, which cannot be
> >> re-established until a new profile is created and the data migrated
> >> properly.
> >
> > Never seen or tried this, switching VIEW modes in contacts shows all
> > contacts in the different views.
>
> When you hit To while composing mail, imported contacts may not be listed.

The only time I've seen this is when a customer has multiple contact
folders and has not selected "show in address" (or the option by another
name). Would it be any different if it was a PST file, opened and then
dragged/dropped below the contacts folder?

Trust yourself.
From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
The problem Russ and I refer to is when the folder is checked as an address
book but the email addresses aren't "resolved" as electronic addresses so
the imported contacts won't show in the address book while new contacts do
show. Its not the most common problem with importing, but it does happen
enough that we get asked about it a few times each month.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email: