From: Leythos on
In article <hp55c2$2g8$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
gordonbparker(a)yahoo.com says...

> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp(a)msn.com> wrote in message
> > Corrupted profiles, yes... but remember, we only see the reports where it
> > caused problems, not the millions of times it actually worked as expected.
> > Done right, the profile will not corrupt.
>
> I think Russ Valentine, MVP would strongly disagree with you!

You should try doing things in the real world before you go posting
about them.

I've done this thousands of times, different versions, same versions,
exporting disconnected Exchange cached Outlook data into a new exchange
system.... not a single error/corruption.

Trust yourself.
From: Gordon on

"Leythos" <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote in message

> exporting disconnected Exchange cached Outlook data into a new exchange
> system.... not a single error/corruption.

because THAT is what the export function is designed for NOT same-pst to
same-pst. The fact that you haven't had any corruption is luck. There are
MANY posts in forums and the newsgroups where people HAVE had corruption by
importing.

From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
Show me one post where the pst was corrupted. We have seen profiles
corrupted (and I think some were bad to begin with), but I have yet to see a
pst corrupted by import.

There are legitimate reasons you should avoid import; there are legit
reasons to use it. The biggest reason not to use it is the loss of views and
other hidden data, and the change in the last mod date. Some users don't
care - they wouldn't know a custom view if it bit them - they just want the
darn thing working as quickly as possible. For them, import is fine.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
> There are MANY posts in forums and the newsgroups where people HAVE had
> corruption by importing.

Links please...

From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
It's "former MVP". I don't know that he's ever said it will corrupt the pst.
He does state it can corrupt the profile.

There are legit reasons to export to a pst (example: copying a calendar or
contacts only to another machine), there are legit reasons to import from a
pst. There are legit reasons its bad to use Import and Export.

There are times when it makes sense to copy the pst. There are times when it
doesn't make sense. It's all about knowing which is which.