From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
Don't compare beta behavior to RTM - without knowing which exact beta build
its hard to say why it happened. It's just not a common occurrence and is
highly unlikely to happen. Its certainly not risky enough for me to tell
someone not to do it.

From: Gordon on

"Leythos" <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote in message
> If you were to have actually done this, as we can tell that Peter has
> NOT done this, you would know that Export and Import work fine and
> without corruption across the different versions of outlook.

So why are there NUMEROUS posts in many Outlook groups saying that there ARE
problems when export and import is used?
And why would anyone export FROM a pst file TO a pst file? What's the point?

From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
There are many points... I believe I went over some of them with you
previously.

Show me one post where it actually resulted in a CORRUPTED PST?

Corrupted profiles, yes... but remember, we only see the reports where it
caused problems, not the millions of times it actually worked as expected.
Done right, the profile will not corrupt.

It should never be used for back up of the entire pst or moving between the
same version of outlook (copy the pst instead and point the new profile to
the copied pst). If you need just the calendar and contacts (or a few
folders) or are changing versions or pst formats, them its fine and the
simplest method for many users. Experts can (and often do) use other methods
(like open and Move) but not all users are experts and Import meets their
KISS standard.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

From: Gordon on

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp(a)msn.com> wrote in message
>> Just yesterday I exported Outlook 97 data, the entire tree, and imported
>> it into Office 2007 and it worked perfectly.
>
> This is the perfect scenario for Importing.

Absolutely - but there's no logical reason for doing it to and from the SAME
format of pst file..

From: Gordon on

> Corrupted profiles, yes... but remember, we only see the reports where it
> caused problems, not the millions of times it actually worked as expected.
> Done right, the profile will not corrupt.

I think Russ Valentine, MVP would strongly disagree with you!