From: Karl E. Peterson on
C. Kevin Provance wrote:
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote...
>>
>> Well yeah, this guy I know is on the management board of the Big 8.
>
> O_o
>
> Wow.

Doesn't mean trolls won't still be part of the picture, of course. <g>

To the group:

He did respond asking what groups we'd like, and saying he'll help push
it all through, after the proposal(s) had been written, but that the
RFD part will still be messy. Best guess was that it'd take "a few
weeks. Or longer."

Something I wonder how or if to consider is what part of the bigger
picture are we? The folks over in the FrontPage group are feeling a
lot like we are - orphaned and cast totally adrift. Even VirtualPC
doesn't have its own forum under the new setup, and all VBA questions
are directed to a single forum (if you can even imagine!).

So does there need to be an entire Microsoft-oriented structure, which
may predominantly focus on orphaned product lines, but perhaps not
entirely? I dunno. Seems like for an RFD to survive the unrelenting
ABM trolls, it'd have to have some pretty broad based support.

> Too bad you don't know a publisher. <g>

Well, geee... <g>

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Mayayana on
| Something I wonder how or if to consider is what part of the bigger
| picture are we? The folks over in the FrontPage group are feeling a
| lot like we are - orphaned and cast totally adrift. Even VirtualPC
| doesn't have its own forum under the new setup, and all VBA questions
| are directed to a single forum (if you can even imagine!).

The same thing is happening with the
VBScript group. I've been subscribed to
scripting.vbscript and scripting.wsh. The
new setup is that *all scripting* is on a
single forum hosted by "the scripting guys".
That includes DOS-esque, VBS, JS, PowerShell,
WSH, WMI. Maybe also IE scripting and MSI,
but I'm not sure about those. So effectively
there is no support for scripting. A single,
poorly designed web forum for all script is
not something to take seriously...even for
people who like web forums.

Microsoft have made clear that part
of the reason for these changes is to enable
"user management" and hierarchical status
of posters. ("make it easier for active
contributors to retain their influence")

But it seems that another fundamental aim
is to redefine Windows programming. The new
forums are for "users" to ask questions. They
provide a combination focus group, product support
and marketing outlet. They *replace* open
discussion and sharing amongst Windows
programmers and "power users".

Windows programming is now something to be
done by Microsoft partners. I suppose .Net pretty
much falls into the category of "user activity" as
well -- an army of trained soldiers to be steered,
via the overblown myth of the cloud, toward
popularizing Silverlight.

I was surprised about scripting, since many of the
people who use that are corporate admins. But
MS has not helped scripters with the convoluted
permissions on Vista/7. It's getting harder for
admins to do their job. Maybe scripting will be
nudged out, along with all of the other unmanaged
code, and replaced by approved applets like the
group policy editor.

Ten years ago I thought of Linux as a do-it-yourself
car kit, Mac as a car with the hood welded shut, and
Windows as a happy medium. Now Linux is still a
do-it-yourself kit; Mac is a car that will only allow one
to drive to designated destinations; and Microsoft is
just about finished welding shut the Windows hood.
....No more happy mediums.

From: Larry Serflaten on

"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote

> So does there need to be an entire Microsoft-oriented structure, which
> may predominantly focus on orphaned product lines, but perhaps not
> entirely? I dunno. Seems like for an RFD to survive the unrelenting
> ABM trolls, it'd have to have some pretty broad based support.

It would be nice to separate the people writing VB apps, from those
trying to automate some Office (or other third party) product. There's
VBA, and then there's VB6 instantiating the object model of some
Office product to do whatever (send mail, fill a spreadsheet, populate
a Word document, etc.)

As you said, VBA gets its one group, but I would suggest a new
*.automation group for that second crowd.

MS's *vb.controls, *.vb.syntax, *.vb.winapi, *.vb.winapi.graphics
(and others) really hasn't been as busy as this group here, and
this group itself isn't being overly used (to an excess), so unless
you've been to other busy groups, I would think we wouldn't need
much more than two; an *.automation group and a group like this
one.

LFS

From: Larry Serflaten on

"Mayayana" <mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> wrote

> I was surprised about scripting, since many of the
> people who use that are corporate admins. But
> MS has not helped scripters with the convoluted
> permissions on Vista/7. It's getting harder for
> admins to do their job. Maybe scripting will be
> nudged out, along with all of the other unmanaged
> code, and replaced by approved applets like the
> group policy editor.

I thought PowerShell was their new 'power tool' de jour...
(Installed on Win7, probably downloads for earlier versions)

???
LFS

From: Larry Serflaten on

"Larry Serflaten" <serflaten(a)usinternet.com> wrote
> I would think we wouldn't need much more than two;
? an *.automation group and a group like this one.

"We" as in the development community. I can't speak for any
of the other orphans-to-be as I don't read much else from msnews.

LFS

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Prev: data disapear